PDA

View Full Version : dayton cues

miko
05-20-2003, 01:29 AM
Hi! i'm new here, although i have already been lurking for a while. Has anyone of you have any experience owning or playing with a Paul Dayton cue? What do you think of its playability? Thanks

WesK
05-20-2003, 08:27 AM
I own two of them and like them a lot.

wes

DLB
05-20-2003, 02:48 PM
I also own two of Paul's cues. Great hit and beautiful finish. Good guy to work with.

cueball1950
05-20-2003, 09:57 PM
i have known paul for over 20 years and can remember when he made his very first cue here in albany ny. he has since moved to FLA. any way. paul is a perfectionist in every way and also a gentleman. I own 1 of his cues and love it. He does great work and stands by his work 1000%. I dont think you can go wrong.............................Mike

miko
05-21-2003, 12:48 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I have already ordered a plain jane with the buffalo horn joint. I've hit with my friend's dayton and was very impressed with the feedback from the buffalo horn joint. Which cue did you guys get? any pics to share?

WesK
05-21-2003, 02:37 PM
I have a very plain older cue (old style PD logo). the butt is all cored ebony with a black linen wrap and an ivory trim ring near the butt end. Ivory ferrules and joints.

The other one is a (the) #48 as pictured on his web site and in the January 2002 issue of BD.

wes

TalismanTony
05-22-2003, 02:10 AM
Paul is definetely a perfectionist and his cues are great to play with. He is also really nice guy. Click on the link below to see my dayton cue.

Click here (http://www.talismanbilliards.com/mycue.asp)

Be sure to click on the link to see the hi res pic to see the intricate craftsmenship, all done with an exacto knife without the help of a computer.

Kind regards,

DLB
05-22-2003, 12:14 PM
My two cues are #00045 and #00052. #45 is Ebony with Amboyna Burl in the points with Holly and Ebony veneers. Ivory joint with the big radial pin and Ivory ferrules. Also used the 100 year old maple for the shafts and they are very tightly grained with no open grain. Absolutely gorgeous cue and hits like a charm. BTW, the six points are spot on and I'm picky about that. The second cue (#52) is Cocobolo with nice ring treatment. I'm also picky about Cocobolo and like the red versus brown. Red is harder to find and Paul told me if I didn't like the look when I received it to send it back. No questions asked. He also said if I did not like the way a cue hit I could return it. Canít beat that guarantee. Both cues are set up the same - weight, joint, shafts, shaft diameter and taper so I can switch between the two and have the same playability. Iím happy and recommend him highly.

miko
05-22-2003, 08:06 PM
Those are nice cues.. how does the 100 yr old shaft play compared to a normal solid maple shaft?
i'm getting something similar to cue #52, except it'll have bocote instead of cocobolo and a curly maple wrap. I hope the cue would turn out looking good and shooting well.

miko
05-22-2003, 08:16 PM
wow! the craftsmanship is awesome.. specially considering that it was done using an exacto knife. Now, I'm getting more excited waiting for my cue. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Bob C
05-23-2003, 08:52 PM
Paul no longer uses an Exacto knife for his cue work. I have two of his cues, an ebony and amboyna burl cue with up & down points, and a plainer ebony and amboyna burl jump/break cue. Both play great. Paul also has no problem customizing Predator shafts with his joint work to match the butts of his cues. Bob C

Yuppie
05-24-2003, 09:01 AM
Another great cue maker is a man by the name of Michael A. Neal. I had the chance to meet him yesterday down in Lincoln, NE. He makes cue's the old way. Instead of wooden inlays, he splices the wood and turns down the block to make a truly beautiful piece of art. Take a look at some of his work:

http://www.cueman.com/?t=cues