PDA

View Full Version : I'm Not Her Biggest Fan...

Fred Agnir
05-21-2003, 11:29 AM
... but I'll be routing for Annika.

I'd like the media to give it a rest.
I'd like to see her play well.
I'd like to see her make the cut.
I'd like to see her not get embarrassed.

I'd like to see Karri Webb give it a go.

Fred <~~~ forever a Karri Webb fan

eg8r
05-21-2003, 12:05 PM
I agree! Lets just see what she's got. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

WesK
05-21-2003, 02:38 PM
Me too.

snipershot
05-21-2003, 04:19 PM
It will be interesting to say the least.

Rod
05-21-2003, 04:41 PM
I'd like to see her play well, she is one of my fav's. If she does it is easier to make a comparison. Not that it is necessary, just interesting. Hopefully she will give a fair account of how she played, and relate to the distance etc.

Alfie
05-21-2003, 05:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> ... but I'll be routing for Annika.<hr /></blockquote>I'd like to see her win. What a hoot that would be!

Fred Agnir
05-22-2003, 08:03 AM
The live shot-by-shot Annika watch can be seen at:

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/story?id=1557324

Fred

Aboo
05-22-2003, 09:02 AM
Very cool Fred, thanks for the link /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kato
05-22-2003, 09:16 AM
Very cool. -1 after 5 holes is very solid and certainly respectable. I wish they had the shots that the gentlemen she's playing with to. I'd be willing to bet they've never seen galleries that they are playing in front of today.

Kato

Fred Agnir
05-22-2003, 12:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> Very cool. -1 after 5 holes is very solid and certainly respectable. I wish they had the shots that the gentlemen she's playing with to. I'd be willing to bet they've never seen galleries that they are playing in front of today.

Kato <hr /></blockquote>Both are rookies who welcomed her with open arms, commenting on the fact that this may be their one and only shot on making national broadcast.

Annika finished with a bogey in the last, dropping to 1 over for Rd. 1.

Fred &lt;~~~ go Annika!

eg8r
05-22-2003, 04:45 PM
Not a bad day out there today for her.

eg8r

Rod
05-23-2003, 05:23 PM
I'm sure she tried her heart out but come up short, finishing 96th and well short of the cut. I think it's possible she could make a cut in time. On a one time basis that's tough for any new player. Interesting enough only one drive missed a fairway. If you can't score from there, well where can you score from?

Rod

05-23-2003, 06:04 PM
Pretty good effort making the top 100, when you think about it. I wouldn't bet on Serena Williams against the No. 300 man.

Rich R.
05-24-2003, 05:21 AM
It must have been unbearable, to try to play good golf, with an army of fans and press following your every move.
But I guess that is part of the pro game too.

Better luck next time.

Fran Crimi
05-24-2003, 07:27 AM
After her final round she remarked that the pressure was as big as Mount Everest. That had to be unbearable pressure, playing on a tougher course, with everyone scrutinizing her every move, trying to judge whether she was capable of rising to the occasion. I thought she held up amazingly well under that kind of pressure.

I think it would be smart of the LPGA to toughen up their courses and give the women pros more of a challenge to get better at the game. Maybe have a few events on some of the same courses as the men. So what if they shoot in the 80's. Over time they'll figure out how to play these courses and work on their weak areas and their scores will drop. That's a lot better than throwing someone into the fire like that.

The commentators remarked that Anika was facing some of her weak areas, like sand shots and around the green shots because on the LPGA courses her approach shots are nearly all pitch shots, so she very rarely misses a green, where on the longer courses she was looking at much longer approach shots. The LPGA pros are more than capable of 160 yd. approach shots but on their tour they rarely face that kind of shot.

Fran

Kato
05-24-2003, 07:53 AM
I absolutely agree Fran. I think the LPGA should toughen their courses or at least lenghthen/take strokes from par.

My question is, are the women experiencing added distance as the club technology gets better at least percentage wise? If so then the courses they play on should show that.

I'm happy Anika did what she did and I wish she woulda made the cut. It's too bad she's not gonna give it another go or two (I hope she does) because I think she could make some cuts.

Kato

Fran Crimi
05-24-2003, 08:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr>
My question is, are the women experiencing added distance as the club technology gets better at least percentage wise? If so then the courses they play on should show that.

Kato [ QUOTE ]

I bet it's a little of both, Kato, improvement in their games and better equipment. Probably the LPGA has a formula that they use to determine the golf course difficulty, based on the players and how they score in relation to par. But I think they're not seeing the big picture. I don't think I'm alone in this...I think the LPGA pros are fantastic, but I don't watch women's golf because I find the courses too boring. I bet more people would watch if they played a course like Pebble or Colonial, even if the scores were higher. Everyone knows already that the LPGA courses are softer than the men's so the LPGA admin. has to get out of the mentality that the public is fooled by the players' below par scores on their tour. We're not fooled and we don't watch.

Even the greens at Colonial had Anika baffled. Several times she looked up at her caddie and just shrugged her shoulders, as if to say, "I haven't a clue." That tells me that the LPGA greens are not nearly as challenging. You don't need brute strength to learn how to read a green. You just need experience in reading tough greens.

I bet the players are chomping at the bit to compete on tougher courses, but the LPGA is holding them back.

Fran

wolfdancer
05-24-2003, 09:57 AM
Do you think the public will pay to watch the gals shoot in the 80's? That would be like paying to watch the women pool pros run 2 or 3 balls...wait, it might work...lol
I wouldn't mind seeing the LPGA toughen up the greens; but don't lengthen the courses...the guys, by the way, aren't hitting too many 160 yd appraoch shots either.
The "Annika does the PGA" show was entertaining, and Vijay can't downplay his tirade against her..we know why the raged words, Singh

Sid_Vicious
05-24-2003, 10:40 AM
I think the results yielded the answer...as much as anyone WANTS to think the top women play golf against the men, they ain't ready yet...sid

Fran Crimi
05-24-2003, 01:39 PM
Are you kidding? If the LPGA made an announcement that they're raising the bar for women's golf and playing on championship courses, it would draw so much publicity...I bet it would open up a whole new audience for the LPGA. It's ridiculous to imagine they would ever be able to match the men in length, that's not what they're trying to do, but think how interesting it could get to see the LPGA Pros manage these tough championship courses. The average golfer can relate more to the distances of the women pros than to the men. They'll get the best of both worlds...they can watch the men and say oooh and ahhhh, and watch the women and say, hey, with a lot of practice I might be able to do some of that.

Fran

Fred Agnir
05-25-2003, 06:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr>
I think it would be smart of the LPGA to toughen up their courses and give the women pros more of a challenge to get better at the game. Maybe have a few events on some of the same courses as the men. <hr /></blockquote>I've thought this for a while. Like, Pebble Beach from the men's tees, or the Player's Championship (Sawgrass) or (Burke forbid) Augusta National. Maybe the latter some decade.

Fred

Fred Agnir
05-25-2003, 07:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> Do you think the public will pay to watch the gals shoot in the 80's? <hr /></blockquote>They've raised the bar for the men over the past years just to make things harder. Of late, other than Tiger Woods, the U.S.Open has been won at around par. That means a whole slew of men are hitting 80's.

So, I guess that's a , "yes." The public that watches the LPGA would certainly watch them play tougher courses.

[ QUOTE ]
the guys, by the way, aren't hitting too many 160 yd appraoch shots either.<hr /></blockquote> I beg to differ. I'm not sure what you mean. What seems like just a few years ago, Par 4's that were in the 420-440 range were leaving the average male pro about a 160 approach.

Fred

Fred Agnir
05-25-2003, 07:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> I'm sure she tried her heart out but come up short, finishing 96th and well short of the cut. I think it's possible she could make a cut in time. On a one time basis that's tough for any new player. Interesting enough only one drive missed a fairway. If you can't score from there, well where can you score from?

Rod <hr /></blockquote>She only missed one fairway in the first round. I think she missed at least two in the second which included the horrendous 5th, the hole that she already considered the toughest hole she'd ever played. She missed a bunch of greens in the second. But what really took her apart was her putting. She's not the greatest putter on her tour, but she's a hell of a lot better than what she showed. Every one of her puts looked like my nervous pool strokes.

Fred