PDA

View Full Version : APA Handicap System

Bassn7
05-21-2003, 12:55 PM
As a 20 year veteran APA 7, just a few notes to clue you folks in on a few items.
a) Sandbagging by "adding" innings to your game does NO GOOD since the winner of the match gets 'applied' innings regardless of how many misses took place during the match.(ie. If you are a "5" and you win with 100 innings, the computer only puts in a standard number of innings for that match, not all 100. Also, if you have less than your applied innings for your match you get THAT number.)
b) The handicap is based on best 10 of last 20. So . . . if your record is 10 wins and 10 losses you think you are playing at 50%, but the system only sees those wins, you are really 10 for 10.
c) "Safety play" HAS TO BE MARKED for this system to work. The problem is that "safety play" is open to interpretation. (ie. I'm a real ass when it comes to marking safeties. If I have the slightest thought that a player is taking intentional real hard shots in order to "pad" innings . . . it's a safety.
d) My personal opinion . . . winning and losing has very little to do with handicap. I know a ton of 4s and 5s that are really 6s, but unless the league owner watches this person in a NON APA tournament, they never know it.
e) Never forget that the APA is a BUSINESS. It's goal is to make money. Therefore, raising hadicaps makes more money by breaking up teams. SO WHAT! Just play the game and enjoy the format. I think it's the best simply because it uses the "race to X" format. Other leagues use ball count crap.
f) Your goal for any league . . . get your handicap as high as you can as quickly as you can. Winning with a low handicap number is easy. Winning as a 6 or 7 can be tough. BEAT the cheaters! Dominate with 8 Break and runs!!!!!

pooltchr
05-22-2003, 07:28 AM
A agree. I hate to see players try to manipulate the system to hold down their handicap. I have had new players on my team ask me if I want them to win or lose. My answer is always to win with the best score you can get. If handicaps go up, so be it. Some teams hold back to try to get to the playoffs, city tournaments, Vegas. Big deal. Is it worth it to win when you know you didn't do it on the up-and-up? It all comes down to sportsmanship. Give it your best effort every time and let things work out as they will. BTW, I mark defense on any shot where I don't believe there was intent to make a ball with one exception. If a player is hooked and is just trying to make a good hit, I will usually let those slide.

Rich R.
05-22-2003, 07:52 AM
Tap, Tap, Tap. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Aboo
05-22-2003, 09:05 AM
Hooo-RA! Good post. I agree 100%

Kato
05-22-2003, 09:35 AM
Too bad for the APA. I instructed all of my players to go all out in every game, every shot. They raised everyone and there is no way we can field a team next session. No one wants to captain, I ain't doin' it again. APA loses 7 players.

Kato~~~won a league, will win the playoffs, will win cities, will go to Vegas, will be done with the whole thing.

PS. Please don't construe this as an "I hate the APA" post. It's too much effort to try to:

a) keep a team together
b) qualify, win, and go

05-22-2003, 09:45 AM

Rich R.
05-22-2003, 10:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote whitewolf:</font><hr>Please don't tell me that you have problems tapping the secretarial pool. <hr /></blockquote>
What's that got to do with pool? /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Kato
05-22-2003, 10:31 AM
WW. Trust me when I tell you this, the secretaries I know are SCARY!!!!!!!!!!

I am also not a very good captain. Mostly I'm probably just lucky.

Kato~~~somewhat major disappointment as a captain.

datplayer
05-22-2003, 10:32 AM
I agree with most of this post wholeheartedly. The problem with the APA is that it does not reward teams when individuals play well. For example, last year our 8-ball team faired well during the season and barely got into the city championships. There was about three weeks between the end of the season and the city tournament. Our players got together every other day to practice for the tournament and we felt we had a chance to win the tournament (especially since there were only 7 other teams). As a result, our team won the trip to Vegas. However, the league operator almost disqualified our team since he said that two of our players were playing better than their skill level. What gives?

The point I am trying to make is, some of our lower rank players (3's and 4's) worked their butt off for the city championship only to almost get disqualified. Every serious player wants to get better, but the APA doesn't allow it. Instead, if you play well, you are underranked. If you play poor, you are sandbagging. Give me a break!

Wally_in_Cincy
05-22-2003, 11:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr>....APA loses 7 players.

Kato~~~won a league, will win the playoffs, will win cities, will go to Vegas, will be done with the whole thing.....<hr /></blockquote>

Then again if your team rolled over every other team every session a lot of the other teams would quit. APA loses <font color="red">70</font color> players.

Not defending the system's faults, just saying that's the way it is.

Wally_in_Cincy
05-22-2003, 11:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote datplayer:</font><hr>
I agree with most of this post wholeheartedly. The problem with the APA is that it does not reward teams when individuals play well. For example, last year our 8-ball team faired well during the season and barely got into the city championships. There was about three weeks between the end of the season and the city tournament. Our players got together every other day to practice for the tournament and we felt we had a chance to win the tournament (especially since there were only 7 other teams). As a result, our team won the trip to Vegas. However, the league operator almost disqualified our team since he said that two of our players were playing better than their skill level. What gives?

The point I am trying to make is, some of our lower rank players (3's and 4's) worked their butt off for the city championship only to almost get disqualified. Every serious player wants to get better, but the APA doesn't allow it. Instead, if you play well, you are underranked. If you play poor, you are sandbagging. Give me a break! <hr /></blockquote>

That is unfortunate isn't it.

There's a girl who started in the league about 9 months ago. She went from a 2 to a 3 after 5 months. Then she started practicing with her brother who is a local shortstop and she played like a 4 last week at the city tourney. Of course everyone was complaining. Oh well, whaddaya gonna do.....

Aboo
05-22-2003, 03:46 PM
I've only been playing in the APA for about 2, 2.5 years. In my limited experience, everyone who loses, accuses the winner of bagging, even if jokingly. Everyone who has a great game and beats a higher skilled player get accused. It's part of the deal. *shrugs*

My advice? Don't take it to heart. Just get together and play and have fun. So you don't go to Vegas, or the city tourny. No big deal, try again next year.

I know 3 folks who've been to the Vegas tourny. They told me that a 4 there (in Vegas) = a 6+ in our division... Holy crap!
But oh what a feeling to tromp a guy who's been sandbagging all year just to get a one up on you at a tourny! LOL

The teams who do consistently well and have fun in our league do this. They have a core of 2-3 players that are always on their team, and almost always play. The rest of them come and go as their handi-caps come and go.