PDA

View Full Version : Predator/Joss Cue Advice Needed

05-21-2003, 05:33 PM
I've been scanning through threads for about half the day (and am thankful I simply found this website) and was looking to get some advice for a new cue. My previous and first cue was a Cuetec, and I did not like the fiberglass shaft, balance, and overall feel that much (my brother liked it, so he owns it now). I also stopped playing for a while and now have an urge to start playing again (frequently).

So now I need a new cue, and hopefully, your advice. My budget is ~ $400 max (maybe a little higher), and inlay and design come 2nd to the feel. I'm currently leaning towards Joss or Predator, and that is really what I am looking for opinions on, but others are certainly welcome.

I have used a Joss before (briefly) and I really liked the balance and hit, but have not had an opportunity to use a Predator.

Other than positive and negative experiences and opinions I have a few other questions:

1. Looking at the link below, are there any differences other than cosmetic in the different series' of Joss cues:
http://www.billiardwarehouse.com/cues/joss/joss_pool_cues.htm

2. The same goes for Predator - are there any differences other than cosmetic that will have an affect on the feel and performance of the cue (between 2k and 3k series):
http://www.billiardwarehouse.com/cues/predator/predator_pool_cues.htm

3. Any experiences with a Joss cue and a predator shaft? I could always get a Joss now and a predator shaft later...

Any and all comments/opinions both good and bad are REALLY welcome.

Candyman
05-21-2003, 05:50 PM
PM, I don't know a whole lot about either. I have seen posts on this site often about your topic. You can go to the search feature up at the top of the page and possibly find your answer. I have shot a few racks with a Joss and I liked the hit. Good Luck /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

05-21-2003, 05:53 PM
i've also seen quite a few post about different cue types. my best suggestion to you is for you to check the archives and see what you can find their that may help you.
HTH = hope that helped.

UTAddb
05-21-2003, 06:00 PM
From what I understand, predators are very unique. You either love 'em or hate 'em. So obviously you would have to try it out. While I haven't played with either, I have heard many good things about joss. I think if you're going to put a predator shaft on a joss, you might as well just get the whole predator cue instead.

Kato
05-21-2003, 10:06 PM
I've never hit one single solitary ball with a Joss but I know Tom Cincy had one he liked, he'll pipe in on it. As far as Predator goes, I've had 2 cues and have a shaft on my current play cue. I don't use them because my brain never adjusted and I couldn't get the right tip for my game. It just reacts differently. It's a different game with the Predator is all I can say.

Kato~~~absolutely didn't help.

Rod
05-21-2003, 11:58 PM
I own a Joss, older model, and have played with several. I've liked everyone I played with. So you'll know, Joss comes std with a 13 1/4mm shaft. You may or may not like a shaft that size. 13mm is std for most cues.

I've played with 3 predators and once with a pred shaft on a Schön cue. I honestly did not notice any difference. I aim the same as I would with my own cue which is a Schön. Don't buy into the hype until you try one. I never had a problem with the way they played. The shaft is 12 3/4 mm, a little smaller than the std. The ones I played with had no wrap so that was a negative for me.

Rod

Fred Agnir
05-22-2003, 06:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pm_:</font><hr> 3. Any experiences with a Joss cue and a predator shaft? I could always get a Joss now and a predator shaft later...<hr /></blockquote>Lately, any time someone asks for a cue recommendation, and they're looking at off-the-shelf models, I've been giving a hand-waving recommendation to JOSS LTD. cues. All the JOSS cues that I've played with shot pretty much the same, apart from their weight characteristics. However, I've only shot with their SS joint. Take that for what it's worth.

If you like the JOSS feel, start with that. You can always try a Predator shaft on it later. One of my teammates just put a Predator 314 shaft on his JOSS, and loves it. The "hit" feedback wasn't changed significantly, IMO. Of course, the movement of the cueball is different.

Fred

05-22-2003, 09:05 AM
Right now I am leaning towards a Joss, in specifc, the JOS07 shown here:
http://www.billiardwarehouse.com/cues/joss/jos_page_2.htm

In regards to the Predator cues/shafts, hypothetically, I'm concerned that if I became good with a Pred without learning how to play well on a standard shaft (I'm fair player now which may be a little optimistic since I haven't played much the last 2 years), it would have a negative impact on my game if I had to play with a cue with a regular shaft or house cue.

In regards to the Joss, the only thing holding me back is that I think I would prefer a smaller tip diameter of around 12.75 mm, ala Meucci, Predator and perhaps some other manufacturers, as opposed to the 13.25 mm. On a side note, I have noticed that some of the less expensive &gt; $300 Joss cues have a 13 mm tip, and if someone knows why the less expensive ones have the smaller diameter tip, I'd appreciate it (perhaps I should email Joss).

I also have considered Meucci cues, but have seen a good bit of ranting about the black dot shafts, QC, and Customer Service. The biggest thing driving me away is the horror stories of having to wait or ETAs of 4 months to get a shaft fixed/replaced.

So I'll probably go with a Joss, and I could always get another cue in a year or two or perhaps eventually get a Predator shaft or a custom shaft made.

I think I'll wait till tomorrow before I finalize my decision and place an order though.

Fred Agnir
05-22-2003, 11:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pm_:</font><hr> In regards to the Predator cues/shafts, hypothetically, I'm concerned that if I became good with a Pred without learning how to play well on a standard shaft (I'm fair player now which may be a little optimistic since I haven't played much the last 2 years), it would have a negative impact on my game if I had to play with a cue with a regular shaft or house cue. <hr /></blockquote>I don't play as well with a house cue as I do with my shooting cue. Does anyone?

If you learn to shoot with a Predator shaft, your game isn't going to abandon you if you shoot with something else.

Buy the JOSS07. Then go from there.

Fred

JayCee
05-22-2003, 12:36 PM
Being that your budget is $400 and looks are not too important, I'd recommend getting the least expensive Joss and order a Predator shaft to go with it.

This would give you the opportunity to play with both, and see which one you like most. If Joss, you can sell your Predator shaft. If Predator, you'll have an extra shaft if you ever need one.

Until next time,

JC

05-22-2003, 01:01 PM
I called up www.billiardwarehouse.com (http://www.billiardwarehouse.com) and spoke with Greg. He said that all the Joss shafts have 13 mm tips now, but he has to update that on the website. I also emailed Joss and expect them to confirm that.

Although getting a less expensive Joss and adding a predator shaft is an option, I think I'm still going to go with the JOSS07, or a similair cue (they are actually out of the 07 with an ETA of June 18th so I might pick a different one).

If there's any other recommended vendors for Joss cues, feel free to chime in.

Thanks for all the opinions and suggestions guys.

Rod
05-22-2003, 01:23 PM
Since your still looking you might want to have a look at Seyberts (http://www.seyberts.com/) . They may not sell Joss. Have you considered a Pechauer? IMO they make an excellent cue. I owned one until a friend just had to buy if from me. They easily rank up there with Joss. Have a look if you like.

Rod

dooziexx
05-22-2003, 01:29 PM
Hey PM,
I deal in cues and I live in Aurora, IL. Where in Chicago do you live? The cues I deal with are JOSS, SCHON, PREDATOR, VIKING, MEUCCI &amp; FALCON. Email me at dooziexx@yahoo.com and we can discuss more about your cue needs. I offer deep discounts in all cues.

JayCee
05-22-2003, 02:07 PM
pm, you may want to check out Hawley's (http://www.hawleys.com/) and/or Shooter's (http://www.shootersbilliards.com/), as they both carry Joss cues.