PDA

View Full Version : New Table

05-21-2003, 08:28 PM
Hello all,
I am new to the boards and was wondering if anyone/all can give me hints on care and maintance of a pool table. I have finally purchased one. Thanks

CK-

Ken
05-21-2003, 08:45 PM
Cover it, brush it, vacuum it and don't sit on it. Use a break pad when you practise your massť shots.

Sid_Vicious
05-21-2003, 09:14 PM
"Use a break pad when you practise your massť shots."

Here's where I break advice...I say if you play masse shots or jumps, to relax and enjoy your table without interuptions of mods like pads and/or restricting hopping. The table is like anything else you own, it is supposed to be used. Seems that so many people take new tables and act like these things are breakable,, what the heck is a little white spot or two on the cloth? Play and practice all your shots as you normally would and have fun. All the rest of the advise I concur with, just not the babying routine with masse and jumpers. I ain't saying to be a fool about it, but it is a pool table and it does have it's durability for intended use...sid

UTAddb
05-22-2003, 06:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> "Use a break pad when you practise your massť shots."

Here's where I break advice...I say if you play masse shots or jumps, to relax and enjoy your table without interuptions of mods like pads and/or restricting hopping. The table is like anything else you own, it is supposed to be used. Seems that so many people take new tables and act like these things are breakable,, what the heck is a little white spot or two on the cloth? Play and practice all your shots as you normally would and have fun. All the rest of the advise I concur with, just not the babying routine with masse and jumpers. I ain't saying to be a fool about it, but it is a pool table and it does have it's durability for intended use...sid <hr /></blockquote>
Yeah, I go with Sid on this one. I take good care of my table, but when it comes to playing I don't do anything different. You wouldn't put a break pad on there in a tournament. I want everything to be as close to the real thing as possible. Plus they don't really do much to the table.

JDB
05-22-2003, 07:31 AM
I would recommend a break pad if you are breaking from the same spot all the time... It will wear a hole in the cloth over time... However, I don't take my own advice on this one anymore and it just means that I have to replace the cloth more frequently.

I wouldn't worry about a cloth for masse's though because they are not done from the same spot all the time; therefore, it is unlikely you will have any problems.

Also, make sure that you keep on the foot spot and replace it when it comes up (over time it will come off). If you don't replace it, the break will begin wearing a hole where the cue ball contacts the one ball over time. Same concept if you break from the same place all the time.

Ken
05-22-2003, 06:57 PM
Here's a site that has some tips:

http://www.billiards-table.com/

05-28-2003, 04:10 AM
Thank you for the web site, it was awesome.

CK- /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif