PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations welcome

05-22-2003, 12:50 AM
I'm buying a cue as a gift for a friend, and I'm wondering what brands of cues are considered respectable for beginners or intermediates...it won't be a custom cue, but I want to make sure that if this person walks into a pool hall they won't get laughed at! Looking for specific names, etc.

Also, are there cues out there that acceptable for both billiards and snooker?! We prefer 8 or 9 ball, but we live in Asia and the latter is much more common.

Any advice you have would be much appreciated!

05-22-2003, 01:25 AM
well, that depends on your price range. 2ndly i'd say their are a great variety of good/great cues:

Predator
Schon
Joss
Meucci
Mali
Mecdermot

and i could go on and on, i'd say try and pic-nik and see what he likes, or talk about what you like and listen to what he says he likes, sorda like just a conversation piece. HTH (i.e hope that helped )

miko
05-22-2003, 01:28 AM
First of all, how much is your budget for the cue? You also have to take into consideration what cue specs fits the playing style of your friend.

05-22-2003, 01:31 AM
Budget would be around $200 USD. I'm not sure what playing style; ideally I'm looking for something that's well-rounded/balanced so the chances are greater that it can be used right away. Thanks!

dddd
05-22-2003, 01:56 AM
cover it when not in use, a good cover goes a long way to protect it from the hazards of what get laid on it
and to some degree wet things...

remember to respect it as expensive equipment, to be used for sure, but treated well.
as far as i am concerned i play and shoot whatever shot i want to i paid for it. but i still am careful of my table.

pooltchr
05-22-2003, 06:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote StevieWonder:</font><hr> Budget would be around $200 USD. I'm not sure what playing style; ideally I'm looking for something that's well-rounded/balanced so the chances are greater that it can be used right away. Thanks! <hr /></blockquote>

IMHO, in your price range, you probably won't find Predator, Schon, Viking, etc. Lucasi makes a fine quality cue in that price range, good quality, nice hit, good looking. A new line called Fury has recently come out in that price range. Have seen a few, but not shot with one yet, so I don't know about the hit. Anyone out there tried one of these yet?

Fred Agnir
05-22-2003, 06:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> A new line called Fury has recently come out in that price range. Have seen a few, but not shot with one yet, so I don't know about the hit. Anyone out there tried one of these yet? <hr /></blockquote>I have one. For around $100, you get a very solid cue that is as tastefully decorated as you can get with a decal cue.

I'd say, get a JOSS.

Fred

pooldaddy9
05-22-2003, 06:24 AM
You can get a new Cuetec cue in that price range. They are good sticks for the money. www.cuetec.net (http://www.cuetec.net)

Fred Agnir
05-22-2003, 06:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooldaddy9:</font><hr> You can get a new Cuetec cue in that price range. They are good sticks for the money. www.cuetec.net (http://www.cuetec.net) <hr /></blockquote>Cuetecs are made in southeast Asia. I couldn't think of a worse to play with a Cuetec, given the cue's dislike for playing in humid conditions.

Fred

MarkUrsel
05-22-2003, 11:00 AM
Couldn't agree more with Fred. Cuetecs and anything else fiberglass or graphite clad don't absorb moisture and are a royal pain in the tuckus if you have sweaty hands or don't live in desert dryness.

A good friend of mine bought one and played here in NYC with it. It was good in the winter. Spring rolled around, humidity started coming up, and he absolutely hated it after that.

He bought an old Huebler with a Predator shaft from me after that. He still speaks to me! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Actually, he really likes that combination.

JosefS
05-22-2003, 03:49 PM
Why not buy him a gift certificate from a pool store. That way, he gets what he wants without you having too much to worry about. I'm sure there's a store or 2 that has this or will give you something like it if you explain to them. Stay away from the stores near Nathan Road. I've been to several that sold pool cues and they were literally junk.

pooldaddy9
05-23-2003, 05:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JosefS:</font><hr> Why not buy him a gift certificate from a pool store. That way, he gets what he wants without you having too much to worry about. <hr /></blockquote> That's a good idea. Some people don't like sticks that other people like. This way he gets what he likes.

Sid_Vicious
05-23-2003, 06:38 AM
I think I agree with the Cuetec vote, these are very good, hard hitting durable cues for the cost, and look good as well...sid

Kato
05-23-2003, 07:48 AM
Sid, I live in South Florida (high humidity) and my Cuetech Jump/Break warped inside of a year (I left it in my car with my 10 year old Helmstetter which never warped). So while I think they hit good for the money the idea of buying another one for where I live is a concept I can't entertain again.

Kato

Predator314
05-23-2003, 08:01 AM
One of the local guys picked up a Fury while at Valley Forge this year. It was a nice looking cue. I don't know how they played though.

I played with a Helmstetter for a while. They are harder to find (at least around these parts), but play really well. The one I played with costed around $450, but they make less expensive ones. I'm actually selling that cue on ebay right now. If you would me to give you the link to the cue, just tell me and I'll send it to you.

Another cue I would recommend is a Lucasi. You can find these for around $200.

Also with a lot of these cues, you can throw a Predator shaft on it after a while and you've got a great cue.