PDA

View Full Version : Racking my brain deciding about buying a cue...

Yuppie
05-22-2003, 10:01 AM
For the past few days, I've been seriously thinking about getting a new custom cue. Maybe seeing what everyone else has would ease my mind.

What cues do you all have? List maker, model, special features (weight, feel, joint, etc) that make you love your cue. Pictures would be great too.

Kato
05-22-2003, 10:38 AM
http://www.omencues.com/Cues_for_Sale.htm

Check out the B014 (though it is a tad different). That's what I have on order. August delivery.

Kato

WesK
05-22-2003, 10:45 AM
Pretty.

Yuppie
05-22-2003, 10:54 AM
Very beautiful!

Kato
05-22-2003, 11:09 AM
My cue may be exactly like that or one with a thin green veneer. I haven't decided just yet. Wes, you'll see it up close and personal in September.

Kato

Fred Agnir
05-22-2003, 11:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Yuppie:</font><hr>
What cues do you all have? List maker, model, special features (weight, feel, joint, etc) that make you love your cue. Pictures would be great too. <hr /></blockquote>I shoot with a Ray Schuler. I love the Schuler joint, the fit, the muted feedback. I'm into any cuemaker's joint that pays attention to the vibration through it. That would include but not be limited to Lambros' Ultra Joint, and the Layani conical joint.

A great thing about Schuler cues is the fact that they carry several different "standard tapers," all of which fit any Schuler butt. No need to send in the butt. And each one is marked with their weight, so you can "customize."

And to top it off, if you decide to buy another shaft, they have used/refurbished shafts that you can buy that will not only fit but will be at around half the cost of a new shaft. They don't advertise this. They should.

http://www.schulercue.com

Fred &lt;~~~ just a fan, not a shill

Popcorn
05-22-2003, 11:25 AM
Please don't take this wrong, but other then cuemaker suggestions, the rest of your questions can only be answered by you. It sounds like you don't really have a handle on what you like in a cue and spending a lot of money on a cue without knowing, may be a disappointment. Keep in mind though, when you get a cue, it will only be one of many you will probably own in you life, so don't go too nuts about it. Once you feel you know what you want, make a move, but I would start with a good quality cue not overly expensive. I build cues as a hobby and the cue I am playing with now, I built. I like my cue better then any cue I have ever owned, but it took a lot of tinkering to get it that way. I have retapered the butt, built numerous shafts, experimented with balance points, ferrule and joint materials, shaft tapers and so on. I have done this myself, but I would hate to have to now go through the trial and error of working with a cuemaker spending a lot of time and money looking for the magic cue. I have had cues from a lot of cuemakers going back to Paradise and few were really exceptional, what ever that means, and only the player is the judge of that. Most all cuemakers will give you their best effort but you need to know what to tell them.

dooziexx
05-22-2003, 01:41 PM
Yuppie,
Is there a specifice custom cue you are looking for?? I deal in cues and I have access to some well known custom cuemakers. Email me at dooziexx@yahoo.com if you are interested.

JPB
05-22-2003, 05:30 PM
I had a Kilby made for me. Here's a link. web page (http://www.caromcues.com/) I am happy with it so I'll give him some advertising. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif If you read his website you will see he has some definite ideas about cue making. The cue may not be for you. But I like mine. Great feel, very solid, balances very well and feels lighter than it is because of that. His prices are reasonable, even if you get both pool and billiard shafts. His segmented pool shafts are excellent. One thing to keep in mind is that his cues look better in person than on his website. My cue also looks somewhat different because we talked about the design. Some of the things I have can be seen on the website, but the cue was a custom design. Still can't make a ball, but I can miss in style with a solid cue. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cueless Joey
05-22-2003, 05:40 PM
Get a hold of Scott Lee and get yourself a Samsara.
Very nice cues. Perfectly executed.

dg-in-centralpa
05-22-2003, 06:10 PM
I shoot with a Richard Black "Bushka" model, 20.75 ounces. For me it's what I want, but not for everyone. I also have a Schon SL - 15. This is just a spare that I really don't need. Try several cues and see what feels best to you.

MikeM
05-22-2003, 08:12 PM
Two whole syllables Wesley. Awesome. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Can't wait to see your new cue Kato. Looks very nice.

MM