PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on shaft sanding

Wally_in_Cincy
05-22-2003, 11:09 AM
For 3 years now I have used Q-clean to clean and Q-smooth papers to lightly sand the shaft of my cue that I use in the tavern league. I recently measured the shaft. It seems my 13mm shaft has turned into a 12.6 mm shaft. Although I did not measure the shaft when I bought the cue (Spiderman and Fred Agnir probably can not fathom such a mistake /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) it does seem thinner to the naked eye. By my estimate I am losing somewhere between .002" and .003" with each cleaning. So I must now offer this advice. If you use any abrasive on your shaft keep an eye on the diameter after each time or you may get a surprise like me.

nAz
05-22-2003, 11:32 AM
Yo Wally if you get a new shaft (13 MM) think you could tell the difference? and if you do will you want to sand it down to get it to 12.5 MM? think you can get use to the new one?
I ask because my shaft has thinned out a lot since i first got it.
Although I have not taken any measurements its probably less then 12.5 and I'm afraid that when I get a new one I will have trouble adjusting to it.

Wally_in_Cincy
05-22-2003, 11:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> Yo Wally if you get a new shaft (13 MM) think you could tell the difference?

<font color="blue">yes </font color>

and if you do will you want to sand it down to get it to 12.5 MM?

<font color="blue">no </font color>

think you can get use to the new one?

<font color="blue">Yes. My other McDermott is fairly new and is 13mm exactly. I have no problem switching back and forth. </font color>

I ask because my shaft has thinned out a lot since i first got it.
Although I have not taken any measurements its probably less then 12.5 and I'm afraid that when I get a new one I will have trouble adjusting to it.
<hr /></blockquote>

Rod
05-22-2003, 11:41 AM
Wally,
You don't have to sell me on this fact. I cringe when I hear of people using any abrasive on a regular basis. Products like soft scrub etc are really abrasive. I used soft scrub on an older shaft once, long ago. The grit is amazing. If you used that on a car finish it would take off the paint. BTW I'm in the Spidey and Fred camp. LOL Something people should be aware of is their sanding (ouch) and cleaning habits. It is very easy to end up with a small shaft in the (center) over time. It'll make it one limp puppy! Oh and tooth paste, er ok I'm done.

Rod

socrates
05-22-2003, 11:53 AM
Ah the horrors of sandpaper, abraisives.

I may have mentioned this before.

The only thing I will use on my shaft is a product made by fellowes to clean CD's. It looks like a miniature bounce and has just a touch of alchohol so it dries quickly and does not seem to raise the grain of the shaft. They come in a sealed case so you can take them with you in your pool case.

Hit it with that and then burnish with leather.

I'm out like 100 grit through balsa wood.

Rod
05-22-2003, 11:53 AM
nAz,
I not only see the visible difference, I feel it in my fingers. Those shafts get pretty limp. Yes it would take a little adjustment, nothing a week or so won't cure. My shafts were 13 1/4 about 8 years ago or more. Now they are a little less but still well above 13 mm. I have a 13mm shaft and I can see the difference between it and the larger shafts. If people can afford two or more shafts it's the way to go. The life span is increased big time. For instance if Wally had, and played, with two shafts, the wear is cut in half. Despite his abusive manner. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Rod

Wally_in_Cincy
05-22-2003, 12:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> .....Despite his abusive manner. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Rod <hr /></blockquote>

Watch it /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I'm going to order 2 new shafts from McDermott and I promise not to abuse them.

Also a case that is not chalk-infiltrated.

nAz
05-22-2003, 12:09 PM
Cool, I'm about to order a new shaft 13mm. I hope it wont take too long to get use to it. no more sandy paper for me /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Fred Agnir
05-22-2003, 12:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> Although I did not measure the shaft when I bought the cue (Spiderman and Fred Agnir probably can not fathom such a mistake /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) <hr /></blockquote>Guilty. And I measure in a few different spots. Ferrule, shaft/ferrule interface, 3 or 4 inches down, 10-12 inches down.

[ QUOTE ]
By my estimate I am losing somewhere between .002" and .003" with each cleaning. <hr /></blockquote>Oh my!

At .002" per cleaning, you'd only have to clean your shaft 19 times to take off a millimeter. Maybe you mean .0002" ?

Fred

ceebee
05-22-2003, 12:11 PM
I've used the Q-Wiz product on my Predator Shaft, for some time now. The Pool Hall, where I play, no longer allows any Talcum or Chalk Block.
I just measured the Predator shaft &amp; it's not lost any size. I really like the Q-wiz product &amp; they way it makes cleans the shaft. For $8.00, it seems like a gift.

Eric.
05-22-2003, 12:13 PM
I think Rod summed it up.

Personally, I use silicone spray, you know, the stuff you find in an Auto Parts store. Silicone (not WD-40) seems to do 2 things-make the shaft slick(good), seal the shaft from moisture(good), doesn't whittle down your shaft and change the taper charactoristics(bad).

BTW- Congrats to Rod as our first(?) "Carpal Tunnel" member! All hail /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Eric &gt;just an 'Addict' that 'glorifies' drugs

Rod
05-22-2003, 12:29 PM
I'm not the first Eric.

That honor goes to Tom in Cincy. I don't like being first. It reminds me of Clint Eastwood in Joe Kidd. He sends that guy around the corner to see if the coast is clear. BAM, he gives that look like he figured it would happen. LOL

~~ rod, lets others on the beach first to test for sharks /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

nAz
05-22-2003, 12:30 PM
Eric I never thought of using silicon spray, how long does it last and is there a down side to using it? I'm staring at a can of that stuff right now and I am tempted /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Eric.
05-22-2003, 12:49 PM
One of the local Road players gave me this tip-being on the road you can find that stuff in auto part store everywhere.

I've used it for the past 11 years with no side effects. Once your shaft is prepped, you just spray it on and wipe it off everytime you head out to play. The stuff does 3 things effectively-cleans hand oils off the shaft, slicks the shaft, seals out moisture.

I swear by it.

Eric &gt;tries not to swear

Wally_in_Cincy
05-22-2003, 01:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr>Guilty. And I measure in a few different spots. Ferrule, shaft/ferrule interface, 3 or 4 inches down, 10-12 inches down.

<font color="blue">I do too....now /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif </font color>

At .002" per cleaning, you'd only have to clean your shaft 19 times to take off a millimeter. Maybe you mean .0002" ?

<font color="blue">I've cleaned and sanded it 10 or 12 times in 3 years </font color>

<hr /></blockquote>

Candyman
05-22-2003, 01:18 PM
I clean my cue shaft before each use and sometimes between sets. I do so by useing the paper towels provided in the restroom. I use the one I dry my hands with to wipe down the shaft and a dry one to slick it up. The heavier brown towels work best. The dry towel that you use for the final wipe will make it as smooth as a babies butt. I don't use any power or talcs. I think they tend to gum up the shaft when sweat is added.
Lock

nAz
05-22-2003, 01:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> One of the local Road players gave me this tip-being on the road you can find that stuff in auto part store everywhere.

I've used it for the past 11 years with no side effects. Once your shaft is prepped, you just spray it on and wipe it off everytime you head out to play. The stuff does 3 things effectively-cleans hand oils off the shaft, slicks the shaft, seals out moisture.

I swear by it.

Eric &gt;tries not to swear <hr /></blockquote>

You don't swear yeeeh right! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ok i did it dried nicely and does really feel slick, now the real test will come tonight when i play at ma local tourney. wish me luck /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Naz~~ Having thoughts of Ed Norton losing his grip on his cue cause it was too slick /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Bam zoooooom

Aboo
05-22-2003, 03:29 PM
I do the same exact thing. Just use the hand towels in the bathroom. If you want, bring a soft cotton towel in your cue case. Lightly dampened towel to wipe off chalk, dirt and gunk. Dry towel to smooth it up.
Now if I could get the guts to try and raise the nicks out of this thing...

eg8r
05-22-2003, 04:36 PM
Wally, has the shaft diameter been bothering you lately, or was there another reason to check other than just to check. I ask this because the amount you are talking about, I find hard to notice by feel if you are doing it everytime. Maybe if you lost .4 all in one day you would notice but over a stretch of time maybe not. I do think you would pay attention if you used another cue with the same diameter as yours was originally and it felt fat.

eg8r

Wally_in_Cincy
05-23-2003, 06:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr>.... I do think you would pay attention if you used another cue with the same diameter as yours was originally and it felt fat.

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>

That's exactly what happened. When I bought my new McDermott I could tell right away it was fatter than my old one. I assumed that I had lost some thickness on the old one. Since I knew there was nothing I could do about it I just shrugged. I finally checked it about 6 months later /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif and sure enough it was 12.5 mm

L.S. Dennis
05-23-2003, 07:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> One of the local Road players gave me this tip-being on the road you can find that stuff in auto part store everywhere.

I swear by it.

Eric &gt;tries not to swear <hr /></blockquote>

Well I must admit that I haven't tried silicone spray on my shaft, I do however use silicone spray on the the balls regularly. Obviously this is in my home and I don't endorse walking into the local billiard room with a can in your hand, but if you ever wanted to know what it feels like to be able to draw the cue ball like Earl Strickland you might want to give it a try. Also an added benifit is that that balls won't stick or skid which causes missed shots when balls are dirty.

Predator314
05-23-2003, 10:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote L.S. Dennis:</font><hr> Also an added benifit is that that balls won't stick or skid which causes missed shots when balls are dirty. <hr /></blockquote>

This irritates me to death! I'm gonna suggest some pool hall owners to spray their balls /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Rich R.
05-23-2003, 10:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Predator314:</font><hr>This irritates me to death! I'm gonna suggest some pool hall owners to spray their balls /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif. <hr /></blockquote>
You better be a little more specific when you make your suggestion. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

eg8r
05-23-2003, 11:12 AM
Now see, if you would have never checked you would not have any of these thoughts. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

HalSmith
05-23-2003, 03:40 PM
I guess my question to you is this. if you know you are reducing your shaft dia. each time and are worried about doing it , why continue to do it.

TonyM
05-27-2003, 06:40 PM
Just a lateral thought:

Does it play better or worse now?

Maybe it was a good thing afterall?

Tony
-not helping much I know....

hadenball
05-28-2003, 03:40 AM
Hey Wally,
I've been working on cues for 12 years and the best thing I've learned is a barely damp rag (really clamp down on it)
and burnish it dry with alot of pressure and a clean rag. Also I have heard other repair guys suggest an orange cleaner as it has no abrasives.I have a suggestion about your your two new shafts if you want to e-mail me. hb

Wally_in_Cincy
05-28-2003, 06:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote hadenball:</font><hr> .....I have a suggestion about your your two new shafts if you want to e-mail me. hb <hr /></blockquote>

Why not just post it here? I'm sure other folks would be interested too.

Fred Agnir
05-28-2003, 06:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote hadenball:</font><hr> Hey Wally,
I've been working on cues for 12 years and the best thing I've learned is a barely damp rag (really clamp down on it)
<hr /></blockquote>Lately, I wash my hands (even if they're not dirty) and dry them off with a piece of paper towel. That gets the paper towel to the dampness that I'm looking for, rather than trying to wring a soaked piece.

Fred

Wally_in_Cincy
05-28-2003, 06:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TonyM:</font><hr> Just a lateral thought:

Does it play better or worse now?.....

<hr /></blockquote>

/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif About the same actually. I don't really like a 12.5 mm shaft but I suppose I have adjusted to it .003" at a time LOL.

Tony, I'll see if I can get to the table tonight and experiment a bit. That's an interesting question.

Wally~~praying for rain so he can play pool instead of doing yard work /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

hadenball
05-28-2003, 01:44 PM
OK Wally here goes, I have a book by Chris Hightower (cue smith lathe, cue man billiards)and he puts sanding sealer on the shaft and uses 220(lightly) &amp; sands the sealer off leaving sealer in the pores. I only nock the rough stuff with 220 &amp; then finish with 6oo &amp; buff with clean towel. When I made mine almost a yr. ago I left it at 13.4 mm and I love it. With the sealer it's still white and almost a year old and I play 15-20 hours a week minimum.If you order two new shafts ask them if they seal them or if they will, they might charge you a little extra, or you can wait and carry it to someone in your area, mostpeople charge 7-10.00 for shaft recondition. That is all I wanted to tell and didnt' want anyone thinking I was soliciting in this room.
Good luck,ttyl, Haden