PDA

View Full Version : Spidey's B-Day Gift Keeps Givin'!

Sid_Vicious
05-23-2003, 09:22 AM
I crossed that line of getting a another year wiser and better looking recently, and for a gift Spiderman gave me his services in shortening all of the tips on as many shafts as I wanted, so me being one to take advantage...I of course gave him eleven. You might say, "Well what's the big deal shortening tip height?" Many of these are layered, and having that much height reduction(down to .130 & some .100) the job really required a lathe and more patience than I would have had, plus anybody who has had ANY work done by SM has to agree,,,"These look like a piece of art when finished." Mine all had an added touch of super glue as a burnish, really nice!

Ok I'm a sucker for something new, BUT these remodeled tips are wonderful to hit with, much like a whole new shaft might be in a way. Shortening these as an idea, came from two main sources, Chris Cass and Spiderman's "Stalker"(who kept showing up at tournaments and stealing away Spidey's winnings, and done-so following such a shortening routine for the guy by Spiderman himself, OUCH!)

Anyway, thanks Spiderman for the gift. I'll enjoy it for a long time to come being that I have 11 to sample from. The Gilbert and the Falcon SP shaft you left today will be of particular interest...will let you know how they work later. Drop by Skillman over the weekend if you are loose..sid

Ward
05-23-2003, 10:01 AM
Sid

Stop by Clicks in Arlington on Sat. for the chip tournament, your friend Jerry was there last Sat. and took my last chip...Rascal....

Later

eg8r
05-23-2003, 11:15 AM
Hello Ward, I have been contemplating trying that tourney out. I might just do it this weekend. It has been about a year since I was in my last tourney.

One question, isn't the tourney at Speeds? I just want to make sure I don't go to the wrong place. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

cycopath
05-23-2003, 11:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr>Mine all had an added touch of super glue as a burnish, really nice!<hr /></blockquote>I've wondered if people coated the side of the tip when they burnished it. I just wet the side of the tip with saliva and then burnish with a piece of leather, but it never looks as good as a factory job.

If Spiderman reads this:

Do I first burnish the tip as I described above and then coat the side with super glue?

Rod
05-23-2003, 12:44 PM
Sid,
When I read the title about a gift that keeps giving -------er do you guys know the same gal, er well never mind. LOL

Hey I like my tips cut down, been doing it for a long time. I've always had to use a 14mm tip because of my larger shafts. There way to tall. I just don't cut mine quite as short. One thing I've always liked about a cut down tip, it's less likely for the side to give and/or mushroom. It will play near or the same as a broken in tip.

Rod

Ward
05-23-2003, 01:42 PM
Eg8r

It is at Speeds, couple of blocks from Clicks. Come on out Sat. it is a lot of fun....Starts at 2:30PM sharp over by 5:30 or 6PM, sometimes a lot earlier for me (LOL)

Later

eg8r
05-23-2003, 02:31 PM
I am going to try. I will see you there.

Sorry Sid for the threadjack. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

SpiderMan
05-27-2003, 07:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cycopath:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr>Mine all had an added touch of super glue as a burnish, really nice!<hr /></blockquote>I've wondered if people coated the side of the tip when they burnished it. I just wet the side of the tip with saliva and then burnish with a piece of leather, but it never looks as good as a factory job.

If Spiderman reads this:

Do I first burnish the tip as I described above and then coat the side with super glue? <hr /></blockquote>

Hi, I've been on vacation so just now saw this thread. My cuemaker (Mike Erwin) turned me on to this trick:

What I've been doing is the standard "slobber and spin" burnish job, then follow it up with the super glue. I carefully wrap one layer of Scotch tape around the ferrule (at the exact tip intersection) so that no glue will get on it. Then I put a drop of SG on my fingertip (well, actually on the piece of plastic wrap that covers my fingertip) and apply it while the shaft is spinning. This both soaks in and produces a hard polished surface.

Stop the lathe only a few seconds after applying the glue, and you can peel off the tape before it dissolves (SG can be nasty stuff!). Let harden until no fumes, spin again and lightly skim the result with a Murphy knife to smooth the edge where the tape ended, no sanding required.

SpiderMan

SpiderMan
05-27-2003, 07:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ward:</font><hr> Sid

Stop by Clicks in Arlington on Sat. for the chip tournament, your friend Jerry was there last Sat. and took my last chip...Rascal....

Later <hr /></blockquote>

Was that "Biscuit" Jerry?

SpiderMan

cycopath
05-27-2003, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the reply Spiderman.

I need a lathe...

SpiderMan
05-28-2003, 05:44 PM
Search prior posts (archives?) for discussions on the "crutch tool". That and an electric drill are all you really need to do most of the tip operations we're discussing here. Several folks on here have made them.

SpiderMan