PDA

View Full Version : 1-Pocket >Defense/Pressure?

03-27-2002, 06:51 AM
Here's a topic I throw around alot when thinking about 1-pocket. Do you all feel an overwhelming offense is a tougher game to beat with the constant pressure,but more chances, or a very strong defense with patience and letting the game come to you from players mistakes?...Gerry

03-27-2002, 12:45 PM
..Two answers. Against a good shot maker, I play a stronger safety game. Against a weaker shot maker I play more agressive. Works for me.

Troy
03-27-2002, 04:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Gerry:</font><hr> Here's a topic I throw around alot when thinking about 1-pocket. Do you all feel an overwhelming offense is a tougher game to beat with the constant pressure,but more chances, or a very strong defense with patience and letting the game come to you from players mistakes?...Gerry <hr></blockquote>

I can't specifically answer you since it depends on the opponent, the situation and the table layout. But it usually never hurts to take away your opponent's shots while setting up your own.

Troy

Q-guy
03-27-2002, 09:43 PM
That is funny, I do the complete opposite. Against a weak player I play safer. They can't play and will give you the game anyway, no need to take any risks. Their only chance is if you play reckless and make mistakes. A good player on the other hand makes things happen. If you spend to much time ducking around and passing on chances to score you will get beat.

Voodoo Daddy
03-28-2002, 12:31 AM
I dont let anyones style change my objective. High percentage shots will be shot and safes will be excecuted. What does a opponents ability have to do with my performance? Maybe I'll take a spot..Chris Cass...opps, sorry...HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA!!!

Voodoo...plays for Voodoo, not the rail.

03-28-2002, 12:39 AM
Hello all,
For the beginning one pocket player, I would say the mindset should be on a more defensive gameplan. If you watch experienced players you will notice alot of "two way shots" being executed meaning shots at their pocket but a leave that does not leave a high percentage offensive shot for his opponent.
Alot of the players I play, if you make a mistake, whether it be a missed shot due to over agressiveness, or poor execution of a safe, they will torture you mercilessly. Defense and patience are very important.

Tom_In_Cincy
03-28-2002, 12:43 AM
I like to play the table layout. If its tight (balls bunched up) and nothing that can be made or even pushed closer to your pocket.. its a safety war. Love the safety wars.... If the layout is open, balls all over the place.. then I go for the offencive approach.

03-28-2002, 12:53 AM
I feel that a player that plays strictly a defensive game of 1 pkt will have a very difficult time beating one that has a nice combination of aggresssive offensive moves as well as a solid defensive approach. Must always play the score when playing one pkt and this should be a major factor in determining your shot selection. Fred

Chris Cass
03-28-2002, 05:31 AM
Spot died, he was ran over by a truck.
Sorry,
C.C.~~lol

Chris Cass
03-28-2002, 05:47 AM
After having a straight pool backround, I find myself seeing more shots that will go. I play aggressive 1 hole but have learned to be patient(sp?). I will try to push the rack at my hole when I get the chance and take that shot I need to open the rack up and run'em.

As far as my opponent controling my emotions to play him safe. I've been told I didn't have any respect. Which, basically makes me dangerous. LOL I can't play footsies too long but will try, to set him up. Sometimes I have to give up a shot to get one. I might do this if it'll get me out and his shot means only one ball. In this game I sincerely feel that the score means nothing. I've won many times in the 1-7 position and had it done to me, once.

Regards,
C.C.~~I don't feel pressure playing 1 hole. What's the worst that can happen? I lose? That only makes me want to win all the more.

03-28-2002, 06:01 AM
Thanx for the posts.It's funny because every one I read I agree with to some degree!.What I run into alot is guys knowing I play a very offensive game, and right off the bat they start shoving balls up table.Usually they are so intent on not leaving me a shot they forget thier hole is there too!.So I might miss on a low % ball,but they come to the table stone cold from bunting balls and have trouble getting out when they should IMO.....just a thought...Gerry

MikeM
03-28-2002, 09:11 AM
I've just started playing one-pocket. I'm ususally very patient playing pool, but find myself going crazy after a few shots in 1p. I end up trying a tough offensive shot, missing and leaving my opponent a shot. The guy I play with is a very good straight pool and one-pocket player. He usually moves in cleans up the open balls and leaves me hooked again. I was able to take a couple of games off of him last night, but it was mostly a lesson.

I love the game though, frustrating as it is.

MM

cheesemouse
03-28-2002, 11:46 AM
Mike M,
I have watched more 1-hole than I have played. I have played more 1-hole against myself than anyone else; just because the game is so intriguing. Out here in the sticks hardly anyone even knows what your talking about. I tried to explain one-hole to a friend and he said "he'd never seen a table with only one hole". When I do get to the 'city' I avoid playing one-pocket for any chips because I figure these guys will roll over me bigtime and I won't even feel it. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif I'm like you Mike, just tease me a time or two and then I find myself bent over a 90degree cut with whitey flying into the pile. I'm either going to get out or dump.

03-28-2002, 04:49 PM
Hi,

I am lucky in that I get to personally witness this greatest of all battles about 3 times a week. Two players (both pros), one is the ultimate natural, feel player, great mover, completely passive in his approach. This guy just moves them to his side and sticks you in jail, over and over again. The second player is the consumate mechanical shotmaker with an increadible abillity to bear down on any given shot and create a run out where none seemed to exist. He plays solid defense but would rather shoot at the hole. Anyway, so who wins? Well, it depends. The natural player never goes away and maintains his stroke for hours, days. The mechanical player can suddenly start running out from everywhere, but his mistakes can be costly. Really this battle gets down to three things. (1) How the table is playing. (2) Mental mistakes. (3) Who wants to win the most.

So IMHO I think the answer to your question is that there are several stategies that work and that these strategies will very with playing conditions, score and player skill. It is not uncommon to see an agressive player become passive if the score dictates and vice versa. The complexity of this game and necesity of both defensive (moving) and shot making abilities will surely keep me addicted forever.

Rodney

03-31-2002, 01:47 PM
I respectfully disagree with u Chris. Playing he score is extremely important in 1pkt. I see that your post states that you have won many games down 1-7. This is much easier to do if your opponent when leading 6-0 or 7-1 failed to take balls out of play i.e. high on his side rail. Take care! Fred

Chris Cass
03-31-2002, 11:49 PM
Fred,
I respectfully disagree. On those lucky games I've had to pull off some shots that would impress you. The guy I play is Rod Flenio. His 1 hole game can't say enough about his touch. If you made a comeback on him 1-7. It's time to tell the world. He middle name is Rod(put you in jail) Flenio. LOL

Seriously, this guy is really experienced in this game. I on the other hand have played banks with some great players and can do a few things too. Still, the 1-7 scenerio(sp) is just 2 out of 20 maybe.

Regards,
C.C.