PDA

View Full Version : initial shaft maintenance

miko
05-23-2003, 12:01 PM
I'm just wondering if any of you guys do any initial maintenance on the shaft of your new cue? Do u seal it first before using it for the first time?

UTAddb
05-23-2003, 09:37 PM
I don't think you need to do anything special when you first get the cue. I guess some people put some wax on it, but it I hate it, just gets sticky after a while.

pooldaddy9
05-24-2003, 06:49 AM
More maintenance after use than initial use.Clean it after you use it. There's not a lot of up-keep to it.

socrates
05-24-2003, 06:57 AM
You may want to review the post by Fred "Cue Maintenance" on 4/29/03

Sid_Vicious
05-24-2003, 07:33 AM
miko...Valid question in my opinion. It is an experience getting the feel and look of a virgin shaft when new, and soon afterwards(days really) of use you invariably see the chalk and dirt. I don't car how much you try, a new, non-specially treated shaft will dirty. BUT I've seen shafts from custom makers which simply look as good now as they did when new, and these shooters aren't nit-pikrs about toweling and cleaning. There is obviously some sealer out there that works, and yes when the shaft is pristene is the time to treat it. I haven't found that secret juice yet...sid~~~color in all his shaft wood except for the Vikings, don't know why

miko
05-24-2003, 10:53 AM
I noticed that the shaft of the cue of some of my friends have a different feel and look compared to my cue. It seems theirs is much smoother. i'm not sure if they sealed it before using it or did any initial sanding. I don't sand my cue and only use silkleen to clean and smoothen my cue

UTAddb
05-24-2003, 11:55 AM
I definitely wouldn't sand it at first. Try to avoid it as much as possible, unless it's really dirty.

UWPoolGod
05-24-2003, 01:31 PM
BUT I've seen shafts from custom makers which simply look as good now as they did when new, and these shooters aren't nit-pikrs about toweling and cleaning. <--Sid

i am sure that they are throwing the cue on a lathe everytime they get home. A friend of mine who is building me a cue let me borrow a cue so I can get used to it before getting my new one. I told him I feel bad taking the cue because I will dirty the shaft and maybe get dings in it. He said don't worry about it, I'll just throw it on the lathe anyway.

hadenball
05-29-2003, 10:13 AM
Hey, I made my first cue a year ago and the shaft is still like brand new.I got tips from another cue maker and he seals the shaft with 3 or 4 coats, sands the sealer off and the sealer stays in the pores then he burnishes it in and polishes it with cue wax. I don't use cue wax, I just burnish it and then polish it with a clean white rag. I would have a cue repair person that you know does good work to do it. Most cue repairmen charge from 7.00 to 15.00 to recondition a shaft.If you decide not to do this at least make sure you clean it with damp towel then with dry towel use pretty good pressure until you feel some heat, it should be good.Stay away from the cleaners with abrasives in them and don't use any sandpaper coarser than 800 or 1000. The people I have done shafts for won't let anyone play with their cues now. Good luck, haden

Sid_Vicious
05-29-2003, 03:07 PM
No, I know a couple of players personally and to tell you the truth neither are even clean compared to my standards when packing up cues, and they certainly do not have lathes. The vote is still out...sid

Sparky
05-29-2003, 03:32 PM
Just use something called "Dr. Rx Cue Cleaner" to keep your shaft clean. There is not much to keep the shaft maintained.

miko
05-29-2003, 09:19 PM
what does the cue maker use to seal the shafts? I've tried using carnauba wax but it becomes a little sticky if not burnished using a lathe, I guess just using my hands doesn't create enough heat to properly melt the wax. I'll be receiving my new cue this June and I want to seal it first to make sure the not too much dirt gets into the pores. By the way, I have a friend who uses a Pechauer and doesn't clean his cue regularly, he just wipes it down with a dry rag. But his cue looks cleaner and feels smoother than the shaft of my cue. And to think that I clean my cues at least once every 2 weeks

miko
05-29-2003, 09:23 PM
I agree with Sid on this one. My friend's cue has not been on a lathe ever since he bought it which is more than 6 months already, he hasn't even change the tip yet. But the shaft is still silky smooth and clean. He only wipes it down during play. Maybe using cleaning solutions is the culprit, or wiping down with a damp rag.

hadenball
05-30-2003, 12:16 AM
The cue maker is chris hightower and he uses a sealer he sells. I use a water based sealer from barringer cues, you can get a water based sealer most anywhere. Really I wouldn't worry about waxing the shaft unless you have a lathe.I still believe your best bet is to seek out a cue repairman and have him seal it.IMHO.If you keep your hands clean and wipe your cue down each time you use it then it will stay new looking for a long time. haden