PDA

View Full Version : Should I take up this offer?

UTAddb
05-23-2003, 03:25 PM
I'm going to UT at Arlington next year and am staying in a privately owned (but recognized by the school) apartment. They don't have any pool tables there, but they said they would allow me space in the lobby or somewhere to set up mine (a $1600 Connelly), which I would have to share with all the residents. I didn't ask them a lot of details yet such as would I have priority over other residents playing on it, etc. This still saves me from dishing out a ton of money at the poolhall. In general, what do you think about this deal?

05-23-2003, 03:49 PM
If you're particular about your table, then I'd have serious reservations about it if I were you.

Nobody takes care of the equipment when it isn't theirs (ask any PH owner). Unless you could work out a deal where the apartment owners were responsible for table repairs and maintenance, you're asking for trouble. And I doubt that they'd want to play referee when someone refused to give up the table to your "priority" status. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Unless I just wanted an excuse to get a new table when I moved into my own place, I wouldn't do it. But that's just me... /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

05-23-2003, 04:02 PM
It's Saturday 2 a.m. and I can see the drinks lined up on the rail, and your neighbor with the cigarette dangling out of the side of his mouth taking dead aim at the cloth about to slam home his jump-masse divot special. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Sid_Vicious
05-23-2003, 04:30 PM
Naw I wouldn't do it. You'd likely find a big sticky spot in the middle of it some Sunday morning and nine months later SOMEBODY would be naming their kid Conelly!!!sid~~~other people have no respect at all

UWPoolGod
05-23-2003, 04:34 PM
taking dead aim at the cloth about to slam home his jump-masse divot special. <--after

That's my specialty...think I need to plan a trip to Arlington to break in your table....so to speak /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rod
05-23-2003, 04:48 PM
It depends, yes it will get some abuse. If you get the terms you want you might consider it. How much would you spend at a pool room? If your there for 4 years it would more than pay for itself. Have the locals anti up some money for a recover twice a year if necessary. In the end the table isn't worth that much anyway, there or at home. When you graduate you won't want it anyway. Sell it off for a few hundred. You'll be making so much money, a GC is in your future. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif or not

bluewolf
05-23-2003, 07:36 PM
My pool table is not a great one, but it is all I have got.I am still particular about who I let play on it, because it would be a pain the replace the cloth, etc.

I would ask yourself if you dont mind having your pool table damaged.

Laura

Popcorn
05-23-2003, 07:40 PM
I wouldn't do it. The upside, you can play on your table and not pay table time. The down side, everything you can possibly think of.

05-23-2003, 08:06 PM
i agree with popcorn, dont do it, but on the flip side, i'd say go to one of the local ph's their and see if you can get a part time job, so that you can make a lil money and still play pool for free. Some people are very understanding to college students they were to me.

Ken
05-23-2003, 08:08 PM
I see some logistical problems here but it might be workable. Depending on the number of residents you might find that there is very little interest among the others in using your table. Make sure you do not leave balls and cues with the table. They will be stolen.

If you control the equipment people will have to come to you to get them and return them. You are allowing them use but you will not continually walk into the room and see it in use. You will always know when it is available. It will be in use only with your knowlege and the players will know you are around and might stick your head in to check on them.

A locker with you holding the key would also be practical. It's not likely that someone else will have balls and cues and hog the table.

Expect wear and tear but if you can control the use by issuing the equipment that's no different than the way most college facilities work. You need to discourage people from just deciding to try the game and then wanting to play for 10 hours straight because they just found out it's fun or they can take frustrations out on the balls.

Having to sign out equipment encourages responsible use and accountability. It also discourages casual players from bothering to play. Sharing the table should mean you allow them to use it, not that you leave everything out there for anyone who feels like banging the balls around.
KenCT

WaltVA
05-23-2003, 09:37 PM
Unless you're willing to write your table off as expendable, I'd say "No." You're probably going to have enough going on without trying to prevent abuse, and the shock of seeing it used as the buffet table for an all-night pizza and beer party might be overwhelming.

After you settle in, if you find out enough of the other residents are serious players who would be willing to help police the usage and prevent damage, you could rethink the idea and move it in.

Walt in VA

UTAddb
05-23-2003, 09:40 PM
Some good ideas. Maybe if I kept it covered all the time and checked out the equipment, it might work. And maybe I could give a 30 minute interview to each person that wanted it! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Sid_Vicious
05-23-2003, 10:07 PM
I'd maybe think about buying a utility table locally after I got here, and figure it a college expense and expendable...sid

bigbro6060
05-24-2003, 05:43 AM
i'd buy a cheaper one to take there

Ward
05-24-2003, 06:35 AM
In the Arlington area you can join a league and they will offer you free table time, anytime. There are a couple of Clicks rooms located in Arlington

Later

Wally_in_Cincy
05-24-2003, 08:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> I'd maybe think about buying a utility table locally after I got here, and figure it a college expense and expendable...sid <hr /></blockquote>

Or.... Buy a coin-op table. It'll pay for itself.

Wally~~MENSA candidate...or not

Sid_Vicious
05-24-2003, 10:35 AM
Good idea! Even a quarter feed would keep it up and going, and it doesn't seem offensive to suggest a quarter to anyone in today's world...sid

Wally_in_Cincy
05-24-2003, 11:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Good idea! Even a quarter feed would keep it up and going, and it doesn't seem offensive to suggest a quarter to anyone in today's world...sid <hr /></blockquote>

A Diamond smart table perhaps? Someone said a proprietor could get one for $35 a week. IIRC.

jbullerjr
05-24-2003, 07:53 PM
Man DON'T do it!!!

I really think your table will be destroyed. I live right around the UTA area and play at the Rustys' on Cooper sometimes. Some of the UTA kids that come in there really abuse the tables (beer on the table...not the rail the slate, the "scoop" jump shot, cigs on the rail etc...).

Rustys' is right down the street from UTA, they offer student discounts, VIPP (very important pool player) memberships with free pool cards and discounted table time and try to get a job there. Employees play free and they are open 24 hours a day, so you are bound to find something that will fit your schedule.

J.

jbullerjr
05-24-2003, 07:55 PM
Also, you don't have to be 21 to get in.

J.

UTAddb
05-24-2003, 09:33 PM
Cool, thanks for the info. I'll definitely try to get free pool at a poolhall whether it be working there or or in a league. Does anyone know the situation on the smoking ban in Arlington? Is it going to happen?

jbullerjr
05-24-2003, 10:07 PM
Smoking ban has been in effect in Arlington for like 2+ years. Doesn't effect pool halls though...I think the ban is for places that take in like 80% of thier income from food.

If you are a non-smoker, Rustys' has a non-smoking side (no 9 footers on that side though).

Predator314
05-25-2003, 07:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>
A Diamond smart table perhaps? Someone said a proprietor could get one for $35 a week. IIRC. <hr /></blockquote>

Wow... is this true? Those tables kick butt. I would like to stick a couple of those in this area.

Ken
05-25-2003, 10:10 AM
The last I heard that was the price and you had to place at least two tables. The lease runs for a certain period and then you own the tables, from what I recall.
KenCT

ceebee
05-26-2003, 10:14 AM
.... and this is not to mention the abuse given the equipment by the employees. One afternoon I ventured into Rusty's &amp; asked for a table. The employee sat a Rack of Balls on the counter, then plopped a plastic container into the rack.... spilling talcum chalk over the balls &amp; then he dropped some Cue Chalk on that mess.

I immediately noticed the surface of the Pool Balls resembled 400 grit sandpaper. The cover of the Pool Tables were almost white &amp; sorely needed changed. What a crummy afternoon in a Pool Hall ran by a group of idiots. By the way, Rusty has more than one of these S**T Pits, occupied by Ball Bangers with no class.

SpiderMan
05-27-2003, 06:19 AM
It will cost you to move it in, and cost you to move it out. Meanwhile, it will receive much more wear and tear than otherwise. Figure about $1000 total (double moving costs plus depreciation). For that amount, you could pay 20 months' of the $50-a-month unlimited membership at Billy Weir's. That would be over two entire school years' worth of unlimited pool. I bet you couldn't even guarantee you'd still be living in the same housing for that long, most don't.

SpiderMan