PDA

View Full Version : Schon vs Jacoby vs Pechaur? Opinons please...

05-24-2003, 02:43 PM
Guys & gals, I'm wanting to buy a new cue. I'm setting my budget at $600-$700, and looking for opinions. On the one hand, I've got my eye on a Schon STL-8. I consider Schon pretty much tops in production cues, but some things have stopped me from buying it yet: uncertainty about the stainless joint, it has a non-sprayed wrap, plus the fact that I'd really like another custom cue (my last custom was a Meucci 87-5 about 15 years ago, back before Meucci went production and downhill).

I think I prefer the feel of plastic joints to metal and wood. I've hit a few and didn't like them, but then again they were cheap cues -- not the quality of a Schon or a good custom cue. I'm really interesting in hearing from those preferring a SS joint and why.

I definitely prefer sprayed wraps (ala Meucci). I could probably adapt to the hit of the SS joint, but an exposed wrap will bother me to no end (I have a few cues with wraps and I hate 'em). But I really like the *look* of the wrap rather than bare wood, which is why I was drawn to Meucci all those years ago when they made good cues. Hence the sprayed wrap requirement (which means I'd have to have the Schon sprayed after I bought it).

I see some custom cues in my price range from both Jacoby and Pechaur that I really like, and it looks like I can have both customized with phenolic/implex joints and sprayed wraps, but unfortunately I don't have access to either of these cues to try before I buy. Oh, and BTW, how the heck do you pronounce Pechaur anyway? Is it like Per-shower, Per-shaw, or Per-chawer or what?

So c'mon folks -- enlighten me! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Edited for spelling. I was just testing you anyways... /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

pooldaddy9
05-24-2003, 08:30 PM
All are great sticks. I have a Schon and love it. Probably the best stick I ever had and that has been many.I haven't tried the Jacoby yet but plan on getting one this year at the US OPEN.

WaltVA
05-24-2003, 09:39 PM
I've got 3 older Schons (STL-7, STL-11 and an R-14 that goes back to the early '80s) and I love them all - balance and hit is just what I want.

A buddy has a Jacoby he loves just as much - I've hit with it, and it's a good, solid hit, but I prefer the Schon.

No experience with the Pechauer, but I've heard good things about them. Always heard it pronounced Pesh-ower.(Only one "r", at the end.)

Walt in VA

almer
05-24-2003, 09:49 PM
I have used many custom cues over the years,3months ago i bought a jacoby fr pawn shop with intent to use as a break cue.i now shoot only with it.It has a leather wrap,moori tip,beautiful balance.Last week in vegas i bought a new shaft from jacoby,very easy person to deal with,quite obliging. almer

05-24-2003, 09:52 PM
So you like the Schon over the Jacoby, eh? I can probably get my hands on a Schon to try out, but the Jacoby and Pechaur are out of my reach for a trial. I've heard LOTS of good stuff about Jacoby, but then again I don't recall hearing anything negative about Schon and Pechaur either.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote WaltVA:</font><hr> No experience with the Pechauer, but I've heard good things about them. Always heard it pronounced Pesh-ower.(Only one "r", at the end.)<hr /></blockquote>Duh, right you are Walt. Don't know why I had that extra 'r' in there. Okay, Pesh-ower it is then. And spelling has been edited in the original post. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks!

WaltVA
05-25-2003, 05:51 AM
David - As I said, my buddy absolutely LOVES his Jacoby - calls it his "rest of my life cue." I'm just used to the Schon feel/hit/look. His Jacoby has floating points; I like traditional points.

He met Jacoby at a tournament in Maryland and got to try several, said he was very good to work with. You might catch him at some good-sized tournament in your area or find out his travel schedule and get to try one that way. His e-mail is jacobycc@wctc.net HTH - Good luck.

Walt in VA

dg-in-centralpa
05-25-2003, 06:39 AM
I have a Schon which I like but don't use, and I've tried Jacoby and liked a lot. I almost bought one but got something else instead. It's all on what you like, hit/feel/looks, etc. Go with your gut feelings.

Fred Agnir
05-25-2003, 07:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dmorris68:</font><hr> uncertainty about the stainless joint<hr /></blockquote> I don't get this. Did you or did you not hit with one? If you are uncertain about the ss joint, don't buy it. But, truth be told, if you hit with one, the SS joint wouldn't be a factor. It's just a joint material. What is it about it that you don't like? Schon's joint is one that it'd be difficult to determine 100% what the joint material was in a blind taste test.

[ QUOTE ]
I definitely prefer sprayed wraps (ala Meucci). I could probably adapt to the hit of the SS joint, but an exposed wrap will bother me to no end (I have a few cues with wraps and I hate 'em). <hr /></blockquote>Have you considered having a wrapless handle?

[ QUOTE ]
But I really like the *look* of the wrap rather than bare wood, <hr /></blockquote> Hmmm.. I'd find it hard to believe that anyone would consider a curly or birdseye handle area as anything other than stunning aesthetically.

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, and BTW, how the heck do you pronounce Pechaur anyway? Is it like Per-shower, Per-shaw, or Per-chawer or what?<hr /></blockquote>Not that it matter, but according to Jerry Pechauer, it's PET' chower or PETCH' hour. But he'll answer to PEACH hower.

How Jerry Pechauer Pronounces His Name (http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=01bc29ad%244a59a040%2430d812d0%40pjpec hauer.dct.com&amp;oe=UTF-8&amp;output=gplain)

But, what the hell does he know, anyway?

Fred

Fred Agnir
05-25-2003, 07:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote WaltVA:</font><hr> David - As I said, my buddy absolutely LOVES his Jacoby - calls it his "rest of my life cue." I'm just used to the Schon feel/hit/look. His Jacoby has floating points; I like traditional points. <hr /></blockquote> Are Schön points "traditional"? I wouldn't call them that. I assume you mean you like "non-floating" points.

Fred

05-25-2003, 08:14 AM
Fred, the few SS joints I've hit with (and I haven't hit with a Schon yet) reminded me of hitting a baseball with an aluminum bat. I just didn't care for the feedback. Perhaps it was more a function of tip, shaft, and/or pin, I don't know. That's why I'm asking. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif I'm not dead-set against SS, I've just had all of my experience with wood facing joints and/or plastic collars. So I appreciate your enlightenment... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

As far as the non-wrap, I certainly find the wood beautiful, but I also like the visual contrast that a wrap provides. More importantly, the spray over a wrap leaves just a hint of the wrap's texture -- it isn't a smooth unbroken lacquer finish as would be on a wrapless butt. So I can tell by feel where my hand is on the butt, and it gives just a touch of "traction" when my palms get sweaty.

Thanks for the input!

Rich R.
05-25-2003, 08:46 AM
I don't know what SS jointed cues you have used, but I have several and I have no problem with any. As Fred said, SS is just a joint material. When the cue is made correctly, the SS should not be a factor.
My best SS jointed cue is a Scruggs and you will never find a better balanced and hitting cue.

I really think you have to get out and try some good quality, SS jointed cues, before you exclude them.

My wife has a Pechaur cue and it hit great and it was well within your price range. It has a very solid hit. A very nice cue for the money.

I am not a fan of the sprayed wraps, so I will not comment on that point.

BTW, Fred has the low down on the pronunciation of Pechaur.

griffith_d
05-25-2003, 09:31 AM
I have ordered a Pechauer from Seybert's two months ago and it is due this week by UPS. I bought the IV-2, but changed it to have a black Implex joint, ebony handle and black butt cap,...drive out price,...$535. I talked to Rick and Sid and they said it looks great. The cue took a pit stop there to get a Moori M put on.

This cue is not true "custom", as it mearly changed from their original design, but it more to my liking with the extra black parts to and I like cues with "no wrap" and is not a full "off the shelf" cue that everyone else will have, since the black implex joint is not an advertised option,..it is on Pachauer's site.

I will have to get back to you about how it plays, but the people at Seybert's say that it is one of the better hitting cues and the quality control is great at Pechauer.

On the pronunciation, I have heard "peach hour", but "petch hour" looks right to me.

Griff

Sid_Vicious
05-25-2003, 10:03 AM
First I will rank your three suggestions to my taste. 1. Schon 2. jacoby 3. Pechaur The Schons hit GOOD! The Jacoby I hit with(Spiderman's) is a beautiful cue, unwrapped, and hits hard, which I also cater to. Pechaur cues just don't work for me for some reason, I can't hear or feel the hit with them for some reason. Now having said all of that, I'll suggest two cue makers(I imagine you have had a few suggestions already.) There's a cue builder in the Austin area who makes cues which ALL, and I mean everyone of the ones I've hit with, play like a ton, Woody Woodsworth in the builder. I bought the one I have now, sight unseen over the phone, and it is a wonderful cue. A local cue enthusiast hit with it last week for fun,,,he missed one ball in 10 strokes, and some of those were nice 1-P shots length of the table. He stopped and said, "If you ever decide to sell this cue I'll buy it." Then again, "Really! I'll buy it." That was a testimonial I'll cherish coming from him.

Next, and I hate to even rank this guy's cues second to anyone,,,,Andy Gilbert's cues all work for me. I bought mine second hand for 300 after a scenario almost identical to the Woodsworth trial. I streaked in ball after ball with it, and a good friend of mine watching said to me, "Man you better buy that cue!" It could have been bought new for the 300, but I didn't know that, I just knew that it hit good and there was a second shaft which was not included in the basic new purchase. It is an unwrapped cue(so is the Woodsworth Btw) with non metal joints. The Woodsworth is an Ivorine joint and ferrule, I really like the response of both cues.

No matter which of these makers were to make a new cue, you'd get a ton for your price range, and if that cue didn't play for you, I'd be utterly surprised. I'm not working with either guy here, I just feel that confident in both custom builders....sid

dooziexx
05-25-2003, 10:45 AM
Hello David,
If you are interested in a Schon, I can get you a brand new schon for cheap. For your price range of $600-$700, I can get you a schon from STL1 to STL13 range. Contact me at dooziexx@yahoo.com if you are interested.

rackmup
05-25-2003, 10:53 AM
Schon.

Of course, my multi-million dollar endorsement agreement might have influenced my choice. There is something to be said about having a sponsor that pays all of your entry fees, airfare and hotel expenses, company Visa card (with no preset spending limits) and of course, the Cadillac Escalade "Schon Limited Edition" SUV.

Yeah. That's the ticket.

Regards,

Ken (livin' in that fantasy world again)

05-25-2003, 11:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rackmup:</font><hr> Schon.

Of course, my multi-million dollar endorsement agreement might have influenced my choice. There is something to be said about having a sponsor that pays all of your entry fees, airfare and hotel expenses, company Visa card (with no preset spending limits) and of course, the Cadillac Escalade "Schon Limited Edition" SUV.

Yeah. That's the ticket.

Regards,

Ken (livin' in that fantasy world again) <hr /></blockquote>LOL! Well, that settles it then. Schon it is! Now where to I sign...

/ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Chris in NC
05-25-2003, 01:40 PM
I play with an absolutely beautiful Pechauer wrapless butt with a Predator 314 shaft. The quality and aesthetics of the Pechauer butts is IMO superior to Schon's - which I've also played with before. In your price range, you would be on the low end of the Pechauer professional series cues (all with stainless joints). However, since you like the plastic/implex joint your budget would fit right in to Pechauer's J series of implex joint cues.

The Pechauer now comes with their patended speed joint - which is somwhere in between a unitized quick release joint and a standard joint in that it takes about 4-5 turns to tighten it up.

Pechauer shafts probably deflect a bit more than do Schon's, but that's not a factor for me since I use a 314 shaft with mine. Personally, I think Pechauer has the best looking wrapless cue offerings excluding custom cue makers.

Look for Predator to soon be coming out with some very nice looking wrapless cues with the new taper they will be offering - but quite pricy.

WaltVA
05-25-2003, 02:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> Are Schön points "traditional"? I wouldn't call them that. I assume you mean you like "non-floating" points.

Fred <hr /></blockquote>
The R-14 has the short-spliced, sharp-pointed, 3-veneered points that are my favorite style. However, tradition aside, I stand corrected - I do prefer "non-floating" points.

Walt in VA

hadenball
05-29-2003, 09:54 AM
David,
I've had a schon for 17 years and love it,had a friend make a 13 mm shaft for it 2 years ago and still love it.I just re-wrapped it last year cause I couldn't clean it anymore.You can have the wrap pressed and starched and it will feel like it's been sprayed almost.Check out www.pechauer.com (http://www.pechauer.com) and you can see more how they are made(pretty cool). haden

05-29-2003, 10:07 AM
I think you will find any of the choices a good one. I recently traded my Schon for a Jacoby and couldn't be happier. The Schon hit a ton but was extremely back weighted. The Jacoby is perfectly center balanced which is great for me personally. I would also look at BCM cues as I have heard great things about them and they are really beautiful looking cues. I think his web site is www.bcmcue.com (http://www.bcmcue.com)
Just a thought to try and confuse your decision a little more. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dave

Yuppie
05-29-2003, 10:42 AM
Just thought I'd add my $.02 since all this talk about cues was going on. I like the hit of my Jacoby which I just got on Friday. Very solid with no vibration. Feels like one solid piece of wood. If you are looking in the 600-700 price range, another good maker to look at would be a Schuler. Even with some customization, you won't go over $700.

As far as wrap is concerned, if you like the waxy feel of sprayed wrap, have you thought about a leather wrap?

I recommend giving this guy a call: http://www.madsensbilliards.com/ He's got a whole slew of cues and if you get a Jacoby from him, he's got a model B5 ( http://www.jacobycue.com/catalog/bseries.htm ) in stock and you can ask him for his special leather wrap that Mike Neal does ( http://www.cueman.com/?t=cues ) and it'll look and feel great.

05-29-2003, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the feedback, folks! Still haven't made up my mind yet, but I'm leaning toward Jacoby. Although I haven't had a chance to play with one yet, I've heard virtually no bad news about them and also hear good things about their balance. I'll probably just buy one and in the unlikely event I don't like it, there's always eBay... /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Anyway, I may hold off for a couple months since I'm now in the process of scheduling a day of instruction with Scott Lee when he comes through here next month. No doubt that will be money more wisely spent, and will surely improve my game far more than a new cue would. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif