PDA

View Full Version : Old laws come alive in NYC

Fran Crimi
05-24-2003, 05:14 PM
Remember the "I love NY" commercials with Giuliani? They should do a new series of "Watch Out New York" commercials with Bloomberg front and center, shaking his finger.

Unbelieveable. In the mayor's desperate search for money, Bloomberg is now reviving old NYC laws that were long forgotten after the population of NYC reached 100,000 people. Here are a few beauts:

1.) A 75 year old woman was recently fined $250 because there was a candy wrapper found by a cop in front of her house. The law states that you must keep your property clean up to 18 inches past the street curb.(I think that law was referring to horse manure when it was written.)

2.) A man was recently fined $50 for sitting on a milk crate in front of his store. The law states that sitting on milk crates is illegal. (Beats me.)

3.) A woman was recently fined $50 because she placed her satchel next to her on a subway seat. She was coming home from work late at night and there was only one other person in the subway car besides herself. The law states that it is illegal to block a seat on the subway with your belongings. (Nobody blocks a subway seat during rush hour. That's like asking for trouble.)

4.) Another old law they're reviving is that it is illegal to fall asleep on a train, so no more dozing off on the way home from work or you'll be fined. (I'm sure that was originally for vagrants, not hard-working citizens on their way to and from work.)

Some new changes are:

1.) Don't let your parking meter run out in Manhattan. A parking ticket is now $105.

2.) If you have $200 or more in outstanding parking fines (two tickets), your car will be towed. To get your car back, you will have to pay all the fines plus late charges, plus a towing fee of $200. Also, you are charged $60 rent a day for each day your car sits in the pound taking up their space.

Bloomberg is looking for a beating. LOL

Fran

nAz
05-24-2003, 06:19 PM
Good post, yeah i guess things are really bad huh?

About the milk crate ticket, MB claims it was written by an over zealous rookie cop, I'm thinking how would a rookie even know about an obscure law like that unless maybe they told him he has to come up with a monthly quota, and he dug up that law in desperation.

the parking thing is just Grizzly, OUCH!

I have a friend that comes up to NYC about once every two weeks and rather then pay an outrages price for a parking garage $60-$80 for the day, he takes his car to get detailed and leaves it there for most of the day and it cost about $70, cheaper then a thicket or a garage lol

Fran Crimi
05-24-2003, 06:50 PM
Your friend has the right idea.

Bloomie is back-peddling. His first response to the milk crate thing was that the cop was right and it was a quality of life issue. I guess he was referring to those dents you get in your butt after you get up from sitting on one of those plastic ones.

My car got towed a couple of months ago. I didn't know about the $200 max. The next morning I was $500 poorer. At least my car was there when I got to the pound. I saw a guy on the news yesterday, had his brand new Mercedes towed for two tickets. When he got to the pound it had mysteriously disappeared from the place. He still hasn't gotten it back. Gone.

Fran

Hopster
05-24-2003, 07:23 PM
My car got towed a couple of months ago. I didn't know about the $200 max. The next morning I was $500 poorer. <--Fran

Now thats inflation !! I got towed off west 35th street one night back in 1985 and i had to go to the pound off 12th ave to get it and it cost $175 plus the ticket which i think was $50.
This Bloomberg is no good. Another one who wants to be a hero. Why would you want that job when you already got more money than you could ever spend ?? Power ? Fame ?
Unreal.

L.S. Dennis
05-24-2003, 07:45 PM
Fran,

I thought parking meter fines in San Francisco were bad! Actually I thing it's close to $100. a day for them to keep your car in storage once it's gets towed so I guess it's a wash!

The first time I was in New York was the summer of 1973 just a kid traveling and sleeping in his car. Once arriving in New York I figured why not splurge for tonight and get a hotel. Naturally my car was broken into that night, 'welcome to New York!'

Rich R.
05-25-2003, 08:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> 1.) Don't let your parking meter run out in Manhattan. A parking ticket is now $105.

2.) If you have $200 or more in outstanding parking fines (two tickets), your car will be towed. To get your car back, you will have to pay all the fines plus late charges, plus a towing fee of $200. Also, you are charged $60 rent a day for each day your car sits in the pound taking up their space. <hr /></blockquote>
If you drive an old car, it is cheaper to let them have it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif What insentive would you have to pay the ticket, towing and storage? /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Rich R.
05-25-2003, 08:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> I saw a guy on the news yesterday, had his brand new Mercedes towed for two tickets. When he got to the pound it had mysteriously disappeared from the place. He still hasn't gotten it back. Gone.<hr /></blockquote>
And how do you spell LAW SUIT?

9 Ball Girl
05-25-2003, 09:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr>
1.) A 75 year old woman was recently fined $250 because there was a candy wrapper found by a cop in front of her house. The law states that you must keep your property clean up to 18 inches past the street curb.(I think that law was referring to horse manure when it was written.)

<font color="red">What the?! They need to fine the folks that do the littering!</font color>

1.) Don't let your parking meter run out in Manhattan. A parking ticket is now $105.

<font color="red">Tell me about it! I just got one on Friday!</font color>

Bloomberg is looking for a beating. LOL

<font color="red">It's a loooooong line I'm sure!</font color>
Fran <hr /></blockquote>

Qtec
05-25-2003, 10:30 AM
Bizarre,but it doesnt surprise me.I saw a great documentary about a young guy who spent a couple of years traveling around the world with a cam recorder.South America,middle east,you name it.He even managed to con his way through lines of tanks to get some great shots of the student uprising in Tianemen square{china}.Anyway,at the end of the film he is standing near the water with the Statue of Liberty in the background.He doesnt get to finish the epilog because a police officer says he cant film without a permit?He tries reasoning but ends up getting arrested!Tal about irony.

TomBrooklyn
05-25-2003, 01:27 PM
Bloomburg is a billionaire who seems to half lost touch with the reality of the working person's life. I'm looking forward to the next election so I can vote for someone else. Anyone else.

nAz
05-25-2003, 04:31 PM
well if anyone else was Mayor they would still have to cut the budget somewhere, I mean the moneys just not there. unless he could pull it out of his arse /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

You can please some of the people some of the time but you just can't please them all.

I really wish they could have found a way to keep the Transit fare at $1.50 at least for the rest of the year.

Vagabond
05-26-2003, 07:40 PM
Hi Fran,
In England they have a committee whose job is to identify and clean up all the old laws which are not applicable for this day and age.Some of these laws,to my mind, reflect the irrationality and wickedness( even for those yester years).15 years ago One pool room in Knoxville,Tennessee was serving all kinds of alcoholic beverages except beer.I was told that it was illegal to serve beer.These laws tell us about our Law makers of the yester years and also tell us about the people who elected these law makers.Cheers
Vagabond

Ralph S.
05-27-2003, 06:17 PM
DAYUM!!!!!!! My mom, got a parking ticket here the other week when the meter ran out. Total fine $10. I realize parking in the big apple is at a premium, but $105 ... thats outrageous!

9 Ball Girl
05-27-2003, 08:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ralph S.:</font><hr> DAYUM!!!!!!! My mom, got a parking ticket here the other week when the meter ran out. Total fine $10. I realize parking in the big apple is at a premium, but $105 ... thats outrageous! <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue">Tell me about it!!! </font color>

Wendy&lt;---$105 short... /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Amanda
05-29-2003, 05:23 AM
Dumb Laws (http://www.dumblaws.com) will show you dumb laws seperated by state/city/county and even some countries besides the US.

Amanda

9 Ball Girl
05-29-2003, 08:26 AM
I just heard in the news this morning that a pregnant woman was fined for sitting/resting on the subway steps!

05-29-2003, 03:25 PM
Hey, we live in a kleptocracy now. If our maximum leader were Mugabe or Papa Doc instead of the weasel from Beantown, you wouldn't notice any difference. Just be a good subject and turn your pockets out when the law comes. They say people never get a better government than they deserve ... so we did this to us? /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif