PDA

View Full Version : Worst Bar/Pool Room/Table ever played on

Kato
03-27-2002, 09:47 AM
I remember this post from before but I think I've got this one won. Last night my pool team went into a part of town which isn't real nice. The people are really nice, the beer is cheap though not particularly cold and you must remove your own top. The table was a coin op 3 1/2 X 7 with a massive roll to the west. There was a lip just before 3 of the pockets so if you slow rolled the pocket and got it to the lip the ball would actually roll backwards!!!!!!!!!! The players in the bar have a great deal of affection for chalk so there was chalk dust on the tables and rails in large quantities. No air conditioning, very hot and humid in South Florida last night. No venilation to speak of. Ladies and gentlemen the rock would not draw, though I sure did try.

I played on this equipment as poorly as I ever played which drew many comments from the opposing team. I just shrugged it off. Sometimes I just don't feel it's worth it to change your game or the things you're currently working on to suit the table. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Kato~~~has gone where no man has ever gone before..............hopefully

03-27-2002, 10:57 AM
Ahhh Kato the nights of being in places like that....we have a bar in our league here that has 3 tables, all 3 are covered with chalk, talcum powder, and the likes of anything else that can give the novice player a smoother stroke on the bar cues....the worst table we got stuck with playing on for league...i could actually pick up the rail short rail closest to the foot spot at least 3 inches...the 14 ball was a cue ball with green felt tip pen drawn on it as the 14...there were two 15 balls (because the 6 was missing)....i called out league op on the phone and asked him about not having to play in this location and his exact words were, and I quote "you must play on whatever the bar provides as a equipment".....talk about trying to string a rack with painted balls and more than 1 on the stripes side...just not good...the kicker was....with the 2 15 balls....if you didnt have a shot at a regular ball you could pocket either 15 and that was then clarified as to whose ball it was....lol.....

Till my next encounter of the dirty world of bars and league...adieu

stickman
03-27-2002, 11:04 AM
I agree Kato. Shooting hard and poking at the ball to play well on inferior equipment can be hard to overcome when you get back on good equipment. I can parallel this to an experience I had when I was a very good tournament archer. I went to a 3D tournament once when the wind was blowing 60mph. With a good release, you never know exactly when the bow is going to fire. With the gusting winds, I began to punch the release to time with the wind gusts. I won the tournament, and beat the best of the best that day. It took me what seemed like forever to get my smooth release back after that experience.

03-27-2002, 11:05 AM
Isn't that the fault of the league operator. Don't the places have to meet some minimum requirements? Or are they so desperate to sign up places they don't care. Do they get paid by the number of bars they have in the league?

Kato
03-27-2002, 11:29 AM
You may be right. This is a non-handicapped trophy league. Gold Coast 8-ball league. We have like 4 pool rooms and 6 bars in the 2 leagues that I play in (Tues and Wed). Sometimes it's brutal. I guess nobody ever complains about it. I will dump Tuesday league after this season though. Call me a wuss but I've got to have air conditioning when I play.

Kato~~~not really a wuss but come on.

Fred Agnir
03-27-2002, 12:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Kato:</font><hr> I remember this post from before but I think I've got this one won. <hr></blockquote>

Doubt it...

There's an off-track betting place in western Ct. that I played a tournament in a couple of weeks ago. They have 6 Dynamo tables set up in the hallway. The hallway is plenty big enough, but they have to have a hallway, so they tucked the tables up against the poles! They move these tables very often such that the pins for the table levelers are all bent. Some of the tables, the round levelers can't lie flat on the floor. One of the tables has the backwards roll as well. Another was so bad that a couple of guys simply removed the leveling systems, pins and all, and put the rest of the table back on the floor. The result is that one table, though fairly level, is about 4-6" lower than any table you've ever played on. At 5' 7", I can almost reach the other end of the table with my hand.

Fred

03-27-2002, 05:42 PM
I played in a tournament in Rome Georgia on 3 1/2 x 7 bar tables. There were 4 tables with 3 different cue balls. There were plenty of dead rails too and the rolls..Yikes. I managed to win the tournament but talk about using ALL of your skills.

Ralph S.
03-28-2002, 02:05 AM
I can relate, here in my hometown we have a bar named Columbia Street West. A great drinking bar but not a pool players paradise. The room with the 2 bar boxes in it is about 12x18 and the tables are angled in as to get both in the room. My team mate dropped the balls for a warm up before league and after I broke I wa looking at two 6 balls and three 14 balls. And the worst is when you shoot the butt of the cue is always banging in to a wall. And they also have the stained cloth to complete the poor conditions.
Ralph S.

Rod
03-28-2002, 02:18 AM
Pretty sad Ralph, thats not big enough for 1 bar table. 12 foot wide is to narrow. If I was playing that cramped, which I wouldn't, there would be holes in the wall, from my temper. Just the thought of that pisses me off.