PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of this case?

05-24-2003, 09:46 PM
Man, I need to stay away from eBay. First the Moori's, now this. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3609070628&category=21 212

I was wondering if anybody recognizes this 2x4 leather case being sold on eBay for what seems to be a steal at $89.95 (retail $225). It's a Dutch auction, with 21 cases available. If you supersize the pictures in the listing (which are a bit blurry) you'll notice a metal nameplate on the bottom of the case and on the lower zipper pull. I can't quite make it out, but it seems familiar to me, like I've seen a case with that plate recently but can't put my finger on it.

I'm tempted to pick one up. $90 for a stitched leather 2x4 case seems a bit too good to pass up. Any opinions before I pull the trigger?

Harold Acosta
05-24-2003, 11:11 PM
This case could be a Bentley or Imperial. Altough they are leather, the material is thinner than an Instroke. Most likely to tear or break more easily than an Instroke.

The price is not bad, and that is really the selling price, maybe a little more but not $225.00

<font color="blue">Billiards: A passionate sport for the mind and soul!</font color>
http://www.thebilliardstour.com/images/starscrash.gif

Popcorn
05-25-2003, 12:53 AM
My guess is the retail is around the asking price. I attend the BCA trade show every year and you would be surprised the prices of some of the imported junk they have to offer. In this guys ad, he contradicts himself. First he says he is clearing them out, then he says he just got them in and has ordered more. They may look like a case that may retail for $225. but not those cases. They may not be too bad for the money but, are probably not really worth any more then the asking price. If you check his feed backs he has a lot of negative and neutrals. The most recent negatives are related to false ads for cases. There are plenty of good sellers on ebay, I would stay away from him. You can live without the case.

bluewolf
05-25-2003, 06:01 AM
I have an instroke leather cowboy I got for $150. That was a little steep for a used case but it is very hardy, in excellent condition and it looks kool.

I was contacted by someone on ccb and we met and I got to look at the case before buying.

I am sure that there are deals on ebay too, but you dont have the guarantee of what you are getting. There was one type of leather case that someone was selling,which was about $90. I did not know the brand so did not buy it. I saw the same thing at valley forge and it looked fine.

I also have a friend who got an action case on ebay and is very happy with it.

It depends on how picky you are. I wanted a leather case, that did not have those foam things in the lid. I like for by cues to be down in the case, not held my cue size foam in the lid.

Since I knew what the inside of the instroke,justis, and whitten were like, those were the only cases I was considering. I would not swear on it, but it seems the action was essentially built similar.

Laura

bluewolf
05-25-2003, 06:14 AM
If it were me, i would write the seller and ask any questions I had related to features I am looking for and brand name.

IMO, it has a similar look to my instroke cowboy leather case, but I would write the seller.

Laura

Fred Agnir
05-25-2003, 07:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dmorris68:</font><hr> I'm tempted to pick one up. $90 for a stitched leather 2x4 case seems a bit too good to pass up. Any opinions before I pull the trigger? <hr /></blockquote>To store cues, maybe this is fine. But to use as your regular case, it wouldn't be your best move, IMO. That case is an Instroke-knock off. Maybe a Bentley or similar. They even put the nameplate in the same area as the Instroke. The nerve. They're cheap. They're too heavy. They suck, IMO.

Fred

05-25-2003, 08:04 AM
Thanks guys, I'll stay away then. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Yeah, I noticed he had some negatives, but he's 98.9% positive with over 1600 postive feedbacks. I've been an ebay buyer and seller for awhile, and one thing I've learned (as I'm sure any of you who has served the public knows) is that you can't please everybody no matter how hard you try. Since his positive feedback far outweighed his negative, I wasn't too concerned about it.

However you guys made me realize that this probably isn't that great a deal, so I'm passing it up. With the vinyl cases by Porper and Giusseppe in 2x4 configurations going for around $80 last I checked, I though this leather one looked like a good deal. Guess I'll keep looking.

Mike H
05-25-2003, 08:32 AM
I bought one from the guy. While it is a pretty nice case, it's not nearly of Instroke quality. Also, shipping took about a full week. For $105, not a bad deal, as long as you're not expecting TOO much.

tateuts
05-25-2003, 12:06 PM
David,

OK - here's what to do. First, by not buying the Imperial case, made in China you save $105 including shipping and don't have to quarantine the damn thing for two weeks. Now, you sell a couple of things on E-bay, like your Meucci, and raise another $300. Then, go to Jack Justis' Web Page (http://members.aol.com/jjustis4/) or On The Hill (http://www.onthehill.net/justis.htm) , and buy one hand crafted case that will last you a lifetime. My Justis case is one of my most prized possessions, and the older it gets, the better it gets. He is truly the master.

When I quit shooting pool, I'll probably sell it for $1000. Or have it buried with me.

Regards,

Chris