PDA

View Full Version : I got the boot!

rackmup
05-25-2003, 10:49 AM
I showed up for the second week of session-ending playoffs on my APA team, lost 1-3 to my opponent, blamed it on sitting around from 6PM-11PM before playing my match, was told by my Captain that "I would have sent you home earlier if I had known you were going to lose!" and then received an email from him the next day, giving me my "walking papers".

It hasn't been a good pool week.

Okay...maybe it had something to do with not allowing my Captain the use of my Predator break cue (he seems to think it is partially owned by him) and when he threatened to "cut" me, I responded; "There is always another team looking for some help so please, don't threaten me."

Oh well. I won't miss my Captain. I will miss playing with my buddy, OPC. And, Ryan's (female) flirting and occasional pats on my butt. And, the good-looking waitresses at Fox-N-Hound.

I wonder what's on television on Monday nights?

Regards,

Ken (looking for that elusive team that can tolerate my woofing, reluctance to let them use my equipment and has the understanding that everyone loses sometimes.)

Sid_Vicious
05-25-2003, 11:11 AM
I have a perfect image of you Ken, saying that. You are right,,,many teams would appreciate your game, so go stick it bact to them!!!sid

Rich R.
05-25-2003, 02:28 PM
We're looking to fill a couple spots on my Wednesday night team, however, I think the commute may be a little hard. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato
05-25-2003, 05:03 PM
Hey Kenny. There's always a place for you on one of my teams.

Kato

rackmup
05-25-2003, 06:53 PM
I've been offered the opportunity to transfer to Florida so be careful what you wish for!

Regards,

Ken (drank w-a-y too many pitchers of beer with Kato when we played in Ft. Myers)

Kato
05-25-2003, 08:13 PM
I got news for ya son, depending on where you go in Florida it can perty dern nice. Even for a Ari-Texan such as yourself. In addition, we got bigger bugs here than ya'all got over yonder.

Kato~~~~was once attacked by a Palmetto Bug the size of a Rottwieler. Wish I woulda known Ken then, he woulda fixed it.

PS. I don't remember drinking any beer with Ken. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

JPB
05-25-2003, 08:25 PM
Every post on leagues sems to make them look worse and worse. Why would you put up with a captain like that for 5 minutes? Shoulda found an opportune time to unscrew and be done with it if the guy is like that.

eg8r
05-25-2003, 11:44 PM
Hello Kato,

It looks like I might be moving back to FL pretty soon. Looking like mid august. Once I am home and settled, I might need to take a trip down south.

eg8r

Ralph S.
05-26-2003, 04:02 AM
Hi Ken. Its their loss. Try and hook up with a team they are in contention with, even if you are a sub. You will know their weaknesses and strengths. Might even get a chance to whoop their collective asses. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

HalSmith
05-26-2003, 04:35 AM
Ken, feel for you. I walked out on my team 4 yrs. ago after the captian told me to lose my match so we could be in the lower half of the postion round. I had just broke , made a ball on the break when she told me, I took dead aim at the 8 and sunk it unscrewed my cue and left.---Smitty

Chris Cass
05-26-2003, 05:46 AM
I never in my life heard of such BS. Your captain sounds like a real winner. If it was me I'd try to sub on a team they're going to play soon and smile as I beat on them but then again. The rest of the team doesn't need the punishment.

Regards,

C.C.~~a Ken fan /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

rackmup
05-26-2003, 06:21 AM
CC,

Nice to see you posting again!

Getting kicked off the team isn't really that big of a deal. It's just the way it was done...by email. And the reasons for it were bothersome. I've played on the team for two sessions and only lost 4 matches. My Captain has lost several.

Our team is accustomed to winning. This has allowed our Captain to stick his chest out quite a few times which is fine. His goal (like most APA Captains) is to make it to "City" and then to Vegas. I've got news for him; The only player they have on the team that can compete with the Dallas area players is OPC. One good player will not get you past City and onto Vegas.

The North Arlington division is simply a weaker division. It's simply a fact that as a whole, the Dallas teams and players are much stronger.

I don't wish him any ill-will. To some, that session-ending trophy is as good as gold. If it makes him feel good, and the rest of the team has fun...great!

As a man, he might be a great guy. As a Team Captain, he needs to learn how disruptive it is when a s/l 3 is down on their shot and he abruptly calls a time out to ask them to do something out of their ability range.

To walk over and grab another players break cue, assuming it's okay to use it is also presumptive. OPC is on the team, he is my best friend and could use my BK anytime he wants without asking. He always asks.

It's no secret...we had personality conflicts from the start. When I play, I'm cocky. There...I said it. Just ask OPC or eg8r. What would you expect from a guy whose favorite player is Keith McCready? He hated losing to me when we would practice. It's like I was his own little personal target. Yet, when he would beat me, it didn't upset me and he seemed to think it should. I'm not the first and I won't be the last to be booted off the team.

It's his "modus operandi". The North Arlington division is full of "ex-Demolition Crew" members.

Again, I wish him and the team the best. And yes...it would be fun to land on a team in the same division and have the chance to compete against him and the rest of the crew. Whooping him would be okay too. I've been asked to play on other teams. It's just the hours of play are tough on me with my work schedule.

4AM comes early and the Arlington APA plays on only one table until 9:30PM at which time they go to a second table. It's rare to finish before midnight. Another 30 minutes to get home, walk the dogs and finally get to bed with the chance of 3 hours sleep makes it hard to focus the next day!

Regards,

Ken (appreciative of the support given here)

Kato
05-26-2003, 08:40 AM
You're cocky? We played for hours and I never saw cocky. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato~~~ok, maybe a little.

05-26-2003, 05:09 PM
It was definatly them,not U right? (Its always them with the problem)

heater451
05-26-2003, 06:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ralph S.:</font><hr> . . .Its their loss. Try and hook up with a team they are in contention with, even if you are a sub. You will know their weaknesses and strengths. Might even get a chance to whoop their collective asses. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>Then again, since it seems that only the Captain is a jerk, why don't you see if the rest of the team wants to leave him, and form a new team with you?

=====================

rackmup
05-26-2003, 06:08 PM
Never said it was "them", never said it was "me", only that I "got the boot."

You read the post, right?

Regards,

Ken (Yapping Wolf, Blue Wolf...all looks like roadkill to me)

rackmup
05-26-2003, 06:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
why don't you see if the rest of the team wants to leave him, and form a new team with you?
<hr /></blockquote>

The thought has crossed my mind but with the exception of a couple of people on the team, I think the current Captain has them under some mystical spell, threatening them with "hellish deaths" if they leave.

I'm just glad I got out before the Nike-Shoe-Kool-Aid-Party.

It's just a league, a cheap trophy and some shallow bragging rights. Nothing to work up too much of a sweat over IMO.

Regards,

Ken

SPetty
05-26-2003, 08:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> It looks like I might be moving back to FL pretty soon. Looking like mid august.<hr /></blockquote>Hi eg8r,

Wow, that seems abrupt! What's going on to make you move so unexpectedly? I thought the job you had was a good one. Please PM me if you'd rather not post...

If you have to leave Texas, mid-August is not the worst time to choose...

Kato
05-26-2003, 08:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr><hr /></blockquote>

If you have to leave Texas, mid-August is not the worst time to choose... <hr /></blockquote>

But as Eg knows, Florida in August is just about the worst time ever. Makes Hell look like a walk in the park.

Kato~~~99 degrees, 98% humidity. Ah, there's no place like home.

stickman
05-26-2003, 10:29 PM
If it's not fun, who cares? Start your own team next session, and see if OPC will play with you. I left this sessions 8 ball team and went elsewhere myself. Not that there weren't some good players whose company I enjoyed, but several that didn't care enough to so up regularly. Towards the end of the session there were often nights when only two or three of us showed up. That's not a lot of fun. I've also been on some where winning was everything, and again that wasn't much fun. Don't get me wrong, I like to win, but win at all costs isn't my idea of fun. Look around and you'll find the right fit. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

eg8r
05-27-2003, 05:33 AM
I am moving back for a couple reasons. The main reason is for my wife's happiness. She has not fared to well out here and is really not happy. It means more to me for her to be happy than for me to make a good wage.

On the other hand, I will be transferring back to another Lockheed business unit with a fat promotion and fatter wage (33% raise /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif). My old boss gave me a call last Thursday (we have every other Friday off) before I left for the weekend to gauge my interest in moving back to Florida. I told him that would be awesome. He had opened a req for me a week ago and asked me to apply for it. We will see what happens though, nothing is gauranteed, but I will be happy moving back into the engineering side of the company.

I will definitely let you know what happens, and if it is, we will need to get together again at the Petty Point Pool Hall one more time. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

As for leaving in August, I will be missing some of the 100+ degree weather here in Tx, and moving to the cooler weather of Florida. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

eg8r
05-27-2003, 05:36 AM
I am not too excited about the weather in Florida and was happy when I left the humidity. There was no talking my wife into moving to Denver (there is another position that I was looking at up there) where the weather is nicer.

I don't even think the temp hit 80 yesterday (in Fort Worth), and in Orlando my brother said it was 92. YUCK!!!!!

eg8r

pooltchr
05-27-2003, 10:18 AM
Unless the APA operates differently out there, any team can vote out the captain and replace him/her. Talk to your old team mates.