PDA

View Full Version : Men, Women & Another Reason For The Difference

Sid_Vicious
05-25-2003, 11:06 AM
I heard a factoid on the radio during a college call in competition, the question being "Is it men or women who get lost more easily?" The answer was that men get through mazes and such far better than women do, and that answer made me contemplate this could be part of the reason women don't compete as well with men in pool. This game has one very appealing nature to it, that being that the table is never the same after each break, and it changes many time during the game with the roll of the balls. I can see that with men being better at escaping than women, men possibly run through and scramble better, hence they are stronger in that ability to win more often. Makes sense to me...sid

arn3
05-25-2003, 05:21 PM
i've heard this brought up over and over again with some players i know watching the women play, that they(women) are at times faced with situations that they can't/don't know how to deal with.

SpiderMan
05-27-2003, 06:25 AM
While the facts of outcome are undeniable, your proposal of cause for effect is going to give them one more excuse for calling us rats!

SpiderMan

Melissa in CA
05-27-2003, 02:24 PM
I don't think anyone will call you guys rats just for posting a theory...LOL. Even being a female, I happen to agree that there is a big difference in the way that men and women play...and I have several theories. But my main one is very similar to the "maze" theory. I believe that men's brains are geared more for motor skills and able to focus completely on one thing. I believe this goes to the beginning of man..."caveman days"...when men were only responsible for hunting and protection. Women, on the other hand, have brains that are more geared for focusing on several things at once and organization. Again, going back to early man...women were responsible for everything but hunting/protection. Even taking care of kids requires a women to have fractured focus.

To support my theory, I have talked to many male pool players, and almost all of them tell me that they have no problem slipping into a state of focus where they can block out almost everything but the game. When they are super intense, you could probably call their name and they might not respond. It doesn't mean that they are going to play great...it just means that they are completely focused at the task at hand. On the other hand, I have talked with a few women about this, and they agree that they mostly have 3 or 4 things running through their heads when playing. Personally, when I am down on a shot, there have been times when I am concentrating on the shot itself, but also thinking about the people playing next to me, and the fact that the waitress hasn't brought my coke, and maybe noticing who just walked in the door, and just possibly...is my hair OK? Of course, when I have narrowed the thoughts down to one or two, and I am completely focused on pool, that is when I have played my absolute best. It doesn't prove my theory...but it certainly makes me believe that there is some grain of truth there. I would be interested to read any studies done about the mental differences between male and female athletes. Some kind of test to determine the differences in way they think...

Melissa

Rod
05-27-2003, 03:07 PM
Hi Melissa,
Congrats, nice finish in Vegas. I'll assume you had a coke and your hair was ok. LOL Well I don't subscribe to any theories. If I did yours sounds as good as any. I know I'm thinking something, or maybe not when I hit the end rail. LOL I think it's just a matter of mental training to compete at higher levels. After a lay off mental blunders have a way of creeping in. Mine however is related to lack of play, not what is going on around me. A gal did a study that some of us contributed information. You might find it of some interest. Keener thesis (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=ccb&Number=76264&Forum =ccb&Words=Keener&Match=Username&Searchpage=0&Limi t=25&Old=1month&Main=76264&Search=true#Post76264)

Rod

Melissa in CA
05-28-2003, 12:10 PM
Hi Rod,

Thanks for the congrats. Fortunately for me, they have people in Vegas to make sure the players all have water at the table...so there was one less thing for me to worry about. And my hair was fine...so I guess that is why I did OK in the tournament...LOL.

Thanks for the Keener info. I popped it open a minute ago and started to read it, but there is a lot of info there and I am at work...so too many distractions right now. But it looks fascinating...and I am definitely going to invest some time and study it thoroughly.

Best Regards,

Melissa

eg8r
05-28-2003, 12:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I heard a factoid on the radio during a college call in competition, the question being "Is it men or women who get lost more easily?" The answer was that men get through mazes and such far better than women do <hr /></blockquote> The entire factoid is a hoax. It is unfair to compare. There are no gas stations in a maze, so the women have no one to ask directions. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

eg8r

Melissa in CA
05-28-2003, 03:24 PM
Actually, there are gas stations in the mazes....but being a man...you probably didn't notice them. LOL

SpiderMan
05-28-2003, 05:39 PM
I actually saw the station, but my girlfriend told me to stop and ask directions so I pretended not to see it until we passed the exit /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SpiderMan

Sid_Vicious
05-28-2003, 07:34 PM
Ya know shat service station(advice, which most men DO avoid) is a representative on this factoid...men diligently work at solving it themselves, hence their drive and diligence to put things together to their ability, table layouts a prime example. IMO, that's key to it all...sid

mike_in_iowa
05-28-2003, 08:03 PM
now for once and for all time is the reason why men play better then women!!!!

How many women do you know that will sacrifice everything to play pool? Do you see women playing 8+ hours everyday, plugging away so they can win the next $20 set? How many women do you know that have dropped out of school to play pool? Never worked because pool was their job? How about a boyfriend to sponge off of while she played pool? (old joke-- what do you call a poolplayer that just broke up with his girlfriend? You know the answer!

When this women comes along she can compete on equal footing with men when it comes to pool.( It could easily be said that 3 women have already gotten there- now if they could only break) It takes an incredible amount of practice to be at the highest level and most women are just too smart to attempt it.
Now some of you will take offense to me saying that women are too smart to attempt it and what does that say about male poolplayers. Go ahead and read the thread about the future of the game. Think back to all the things you have lost because of the game. Look at the old players in your town. The ex-greats and roadies and see where they are. See where they are sleeping tonight. Would they change anything? What would lassiter do if he could do it all over again? drive a truck.
Now look where the b and c players are sleeping tonite. These are the ones who see the game for what it is. A game. Not a job.

For all you guys out there scuffling to make your 100-200 bucks a week playing pool that is all that there will ever be. What kind of future is that? Is that all you aspire to be. I am sure you get the pick of the litter with " hi I'm a poolplayer. I will be out 5-7 nights a week till 3 am. trying to win a hundred bucks. would you like to go out with me?"

How many guys do you know giving it all up to chase a bleak future? And the big question How many women do you know that would give it all up to play pool? and would you marry her?

mike_in_iowa

just so you all know I love pool, you could say I am addicted to it. If I don't at least hit a few balls everyday I think someone is out there gaining on me or getting better then I am. So I play everyday. But am I teaching my kids to play? Guess

arn3
05-29-2003, 02:20 AM
mike, not only do i agree with what you've said, i admire the way you addressed many of pool's ills besides. in fact, that there are filipino players and no filipinA pool players exagerrates your points exactly.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mike_in_iowa:</font><hr> now for once and for all time is the reason why men play better then women!!!!

How many women do you know that will sacrifice everything to play pool? Do you see women playing 8+ hours everyday, plugging away so they can win the next $20 set? How many women do you know that have dropped out of school to play pool? Never worked because pool was their job? How about a boyfriend to sponge off of while she played pool? (old joke-- what do you call a poolplayer that just broke up with his girlfriend? You know the answer!

When this women comes along she can compete on equal footing with men when it comes to pool.( It could easily be said that 3 women have already gotten there- now if they could only break) It takes an incredible amount of practice to be at the highest level and most women are just too smart to attempt it.
Now some of you will take offense to me saying that women are too smart to attempt it and what does that say about male poolplayers. Go ahead and read the thread about the future of the game. Think back to all the things you have lost because of the game. Look at the old players in your town. The ex-greats and roadies and see where they are. See where they are sleeping tonight. Would they change anything? What would lassiter do if he could do it all over again? drive a truck.
Now look where the b and c players are sleeping tonite. These are the ones who see the game for what it is. A game. Not a job.

For all you guys out there scuffling to make your 100-200 bucks a week playing pool that is all that there will ever be. What kind of future is that? Is that all you aspire to be. I am sure you get the pick of the litter with " hi I'm a poolplayer. I will be out 5-7 nights a week till 3 am. trying to win a hundred bucks. would you like to go out with me?"

How many guys do you know giving it all up to chase a bleak future? And the big question How many women do you know that would give it all up to play pool? and would you marry her?

mike_in_iowa

just so you all know I love pool, you could say I am addicted to it. If I don't at least hit a few balls everyday I think someone is out there gaining on me or getting better then I am. So I play everyday. But am I teaching my kids to play? Guess

<hr /></blockquote>

Fran Crimi
05-29-2003, 06:12 AM
My sentiments exactly. I've even posted something similar to what you wrote several months ago. If confusion was the problem for women, then it would be evident on all levels of pool playing. It's not. There are intermediate level women players who play better than men intermediate level players.

You can add another trait of that high level play into the mix. It's called selfishness. Being a top level player doesn't just involve yourself. It involves putting those who love you through it as well. There are sacrifices all around, and to be willing to put your loved ones through that for virtually peanuts just reeks of selfishness. Who's paying the bills while you're practicing 10 hours a day? In reality, there are very few people who have that opportunity without it hurting others around them.

Fran

Ralph S.
05-29-2003, 07:06 AM
Very interesting thought put into this thread. I know a few players like the ones Mike described. They always seem to want or need a loan. One of them still owes me a few hundred bucks, I'll never see since he skipped town.

I myself dream from time to time about having a good enough game to play at that level and not have to do menial labor. I also dream about that guaranteed pay check every Friday. The dreams of Friday are the best because I know I have money in my pocket and still am able to think about the other. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

#### leonard
05-29-2003, 08:47 AM
Eg8r I think your wrong on the asking directions, women will ask within minutes of losing their way. It usually takes men an hour before they admit their lost.####

bluewolf
05-29-2003, 09:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Melissa in CA:</font><hr>To support my theory, I have talked to many male pool players, and almost all of them tell me that they have no problem slipping into a state of focus where they can block out almost everything but the game. When they are super intense, you could probably call their name and they might not respond. It doesn't mean that they are going to play great...it just means that they are completely focused at the task at hand. On the other hand, I have talked with a few women about this, and they agree that they mostly have 3 or 4 things running through their heads when playing. Personally, when I am down on a shot, there have been times when I am concentrating on the shot itself, but also thinking about the people playing next to me, and the fact that the waitress hasn't brought my coke, and maybe noticing who just walked in the door, and just possibly...is my hair OK? Of course, when I have narrowed the thoughts down to one or two, and I am completely focused on pool, that is when I have played my absolute best. Melissa <hr /></blockquote>

There is some truth here but I believe that if a person has mastered the art of meditation, they can master the art of focus.

I am naturally very distractibe but something happens in competition. Everything but the game I am in goes away. Where this becomes difficult is if my opponent is loud, obnoxious or rude. This makes my work much harder because I have to go in and out of this state many times.

The crowd, the tables arouond, what I was doing before or after the game I am in is pretty easy to block. But to me, a loud, obnoxious opponent is very difficult.

I think for some this kind of focus is natural and like you said, it is the persons who are able to easily focus on one thing at a time. For the rest of us, it takes hard work.

I think i learned to do this in Karate matches. It was very hard at first due to my being distracted by the crowd, etc.

Laura