PDA

View Full Version : Pockets on Gold Crown I

03-27-2002, 09:49 AM
I picked up 2 GC 1's for $100 each from a bowling alley. They've been around the block but the one I've set up seems to play fairly well. The thing I would like to improve is the way the pockets play. The slate is beveled at the pocket openings and balls tend to drop in easier than I like. I noticed on some GC 3's there doesn't seem to be a bevel. The other thing I would like to change is the pocket size. I was thinking about shimming the rails with wood and then putting new rubber on instead of just shimming with pocket facings. I thought this would extend the rails and make the pocket play better. One last thing, I've used contact cement to glue the rubber on but I would like something stronger. Has anyone used anything else? All suggestions would be appreciated.

Ken
03-27-2002, 11:22 AM
The older tables were not beveled at the shelves but had a piece of wood with a radius on it for the balls to fall off. I don't see why you couldn't add some wood to the shelves to extend them.

Meullers has Barge cement for cushions:

http://www.poolndarts.com/product.cfm?sku=BC30

I don't know if it is any stronger. I am in the midst of extending my rails and gluing on new cushions in the manner you have described. I decided to peel one back and reposition it. There is absolutely no way I would want anything stronger than the contact cement I used.

Make sure you check the angles of the pockets although I suppose the GCIs are to specs.
Ken in CT