PDA

View Full Version : Jean Balukas BD interview...

nAz
05-25-2003, 04:52 PM
Nice interview I like when was she asked if she could transport her 20 year old self to todays WPBA, how would she fare, she replied " I honestly think that I would be right up there, and that I would be a threat to win any tournament. I think I'd put myself in the Top five."
I think she be in the Top three.

I had no Idea how multi Talented she really is, I know she can play basketball (I got a better jumper) and baseball really good, but I never new she was shooting consistently in the 70s in golf as a teenager wow!

By the Way she says her Hi run @ 14.1 was 134 against Tony (Flaco) Rodriguez back in the mid-'80s, that guys got game too.

Vagabond
05-25-2003, 08:22 PM
Hey 2Ball nAz my friend,
Jean Balukas is my dream girl and I mean it but I got to mention in this connection that Allison Fisher is my Diva and Karen is my buddy.Cheers.
Vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

cuechick
05-26-2003, 08:21 AM
It is a great interview and anyone who has ever talked to Jean knows what a great sense of humor she has. I love her description of Earl's passion for the game and the frustration of the game itself (when your trapped in your chair, just praying your opponant makes a mistake). I love that spark too, it's why I loved Mac Enroe as a kid. Pool needs characters who add passion and excitment to the game. I just hope the Olympics adds pool soon so we can all see Jean play!

Popcorn
05-26-2003, 08:27 AM
I don't know if it is mentioned in the article, but didn't she compete in one of those world greatest athletes competitions years ago? If I remember she finished very high. It is funny they pick the age of 20 to make the comparison. In my opinion she never reached what would have been her peak. As good as she played, she, I would bet in time, would have played even better.

nAz
05-26-2003, 07:53 PM
Ahh Vagabond how your doing hows the weather were your at now? we got nothing but rain for the week /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

anyway Im starting to run 3-4 ball more consistently thank you /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

so who is your heroine? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Eric.
06-03-2003, 09:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> Nice interview I like when was she asked if she could transport her 20 year old self to todays WPBA, how would she fare, she replied " I honestly think that I would be right up there, and that I would be a threat to win any tournament. I think I'd put myself in the Top five."
I think she be in the Top three.

<hr /></blockquote>

I agree. After playing in Jean's tourney 4 months ago and watching her play, she would definately give the top 2 girls a run for the money. I think Jean's advantage is that she can crush the rack like a man's break. She has a very good hard break. This might prove to be an edge as the WPBA went back to the wood triangle/hand rack. Either way, Jean seems to be getting out from everywhere and playing well.

I case she's reading this; When are you coming back, Jean?

Eric

mark wilson
06-03-2003, 10:39 AM
I played in open professional tournaments in which Jean participated back in the late 80's. The first week she played a great playing Mike LeBron and she won, on 9-foot Gold Crown race to eleven for a large cash prize tournament where everyone was for sure trying their best to win. I remember Steve Mizerak and others grinning and saying to Mike,( tongue in cheek ), Hey Mike those girls are tough! Mike took the jokes pretty well because Jean just played great. The next week another tournament, same conditions and Jean beat Steve Mizerak. This time Mike was more than grinning telling big Steve ," Hey those girls are tough ," as Miz never dreamed he could lose. Jean's next match was against Buddy Hall , who was also in his prime when she beat him also. This was tremendous for pool interest as all the local media loved the story and followed Jean's every move. This is the type of thing which would help the image and interest in pool today.

Eric.
06-03-2003, 11:31 AM
That was probably Jean's prime. I can tell you first hand that Jean is alive, well and playing at a high level. I think if she went back on tour it might take a short while for her to get her game up, but once she adjusts, she's gonna be challenging the 2 current big hitters.

Eric

nAz
06-03-2003, 01:17 PM
I matched up against her last week in her tourney. I broke and had a chance to run out and blew it! from there it was all Jean.
she won that game and ran the next three racks.
she won 5-0 and on the last game she played some terrific safeties.

yes Erics she has a hammer break she was making about two ball or mare per break and as i recall she had not played in two weeks.

Hey Eric drop by this Thursaday 6:30pm

Vagabond
06-03-2003, 07:20 PM
Hi my friend nAz,
I am torn between these two beauties.I am unable to decide.LOL
Vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Barbara
06-03-2003, 07:33 PM
Vagabond,

I would love for Jean to return to Pro pool.

Unfortunately, she would have to go through the same ordinary Q's all the other WPBA wanna-be's go through. That means Jean would have to go through a Regional Tour's Qualifying process like she was a newbie.

I'm sure Jean wouldn't take it any less seriously that she would have to go through this. Karen Corr ran through our tour like a hot knife through butter. And for a $50 entry fee, I wouldn't mind drawing either.

Barbara~~~ just being the ball and being in touch with the universe....nah nah nah nah nah.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Eric.
06-04-2003, 12:37 PM
Hey Naz,

I'm gonna try to stop by next Thurs to say hey to Jean and you. Sign in for the tourney is 7.30, right?

Eric

St Paul Gal
06-04-2003, 01:03 PM
Just wonderin' if she does billiards instruction in NY...

nAz
06-04-2003, 01:41 PM
Yo Eric its best to get in by 6:45 pm because it usually get fills up by 7ish /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
ahh this Thursday its not an open tourney its a handicap, so Jean and Gerda will not be playing , however they will probably be there hanging out for a couple of hours. the weekend after they will be there.
cya there
naz

nAz
06-04-2003, 01:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote St Paul Gal:</font><hr> Just wonderin' if she does billiards instruction in NY... <hr /></blockquote>

No she does not like to teach, she once told me she had no idea how to instruct someone.

I her that she and Gerda should hold a clinic once a week there, for $5 a head or even free. they did say maybe to that /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

nAz
06-04-2003, 01:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Vagabond:</font><hr> Hi my friend nAz,
I am torn between these two beauties.I am unable to decide.LOL
Vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Why not Both?? /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Vagabond
06-04-2003, 06:39 PM
I am not confused now.Thanks for your suggestion.It is a very good idea!!!
Vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif