PDA

View Full Version : Question on challenge matches

cueball1950
05-25-2003, 08:33 PM
So let me have your opinion. Are they for real, winner take all? Do the players Split the prize money? Does the winner of the challenge of champions really take all the cash and the other players get nothing? was just wondering...Mike

Popcorn
05-25-2003, 10:59 PM
When a magician calls someone up to the stage and says to them, "We have never met before, correct?" and the guy answer "No never", does it really matter as long as the trick is well done. We know the guy is probably a shill. Now you have two players trying to make a living at a sport with a slim chance of doing so, who know each other. It would be a little hard to believe they are going to play a match for $50,000 winner take all. The important thing is, that they play an honest match, what they do with the money later is their business. So much of the money is top end in most tournaments, you almost need some kind of savers to at least be able to get out of town. It may not sound right to some, but, morality and reality are often a hard thing to balance. The moral high road is sometimes easier said then done in the real world. Most, if they are honest about it, will find the same thing in their own jobs. It is a rough world out there, hard to be judgmental.

Ken
05-26-2003, 08:28 AM
I suspect there are savers in many instances. I know of two where I doubt there were.

The challenge match between Archer and Sambajon race to 30 where each put up $10,000 of their own money. A saver makes no sense there since nobody from the outside was providing the money.

The Challenge of Champions that came down to Reyes and Immonen. Efren doesn't need it and from the look on Mika's face afterwards I don't think he made a cent. I've never seen someone so sad looking. The fans gave Efren that win. Mika had it in the bag. Following that match the rules were changed to eliminate fan interference.
KenCT

AndyG
05-27-2003, 11:40 AM
cueball, I heard Buddy remark that he once won a tournament in the 80's where he made so many savers during the event that he came out loser.

Seriously, I think that most of the really top-heavy money events, especially winner-take-all events, do lend themselves to making savers. It's hard enough to make a living playing pool already.

AndyG

AzHousePro
05-28-2003, 12:56 AM
I think there are guarantees at most of the independent challenge events. At least some sort of 'player appearance fee'. From what I understand though, the Challenge of Champions is $50,000 winner take all. If the individual players put something together before they play, that is just them doing it. I don't believe there is even an 'appearance fee' for that event.

Mike