PDA

View Full Version : Your Fantasy Match to watch

cueball1950
05-25-2003, 08:39 PM
What 2 players men & women, dead or alive would you pay or have paid to watch
Personally i would have loved to have been able to see Earl Strickland and Luther "WIMPY" Lassiter in their prime play a race to 13. Would have been a great match.
Plus i would love to see Jean Balukus come out of retirement to play either karen Corr or Allison Fisher a race to 11. Just my opinion. what is yours. By the way. i would not care to see who won just to see them play..MIKE

DSAPOLIS
05-25-2003, 09:34 PM
Before I read your post, I had already thought of Earl vs Wimpy as my first choice. Don Willis Vs UJ Puckett would have been fun to watch. Machine Gun Lou Butera Vs Bob Stichauf in straight pool. Karen Corr Vs Jean Balukas.

L.S. Dennis
05-25-2003, 09:49 PM
Interesting question, the match up of Wimpy and Earl would have been good of course. Greenleaf and Mosconi (in their primes) I say that because I know they played each other quite a lot but I don't think there was a time in which they were both in their primes and played.

Another interesting match up would have been Dorothy Wise and Ruth McGinnis once again both in their best playing days in a race to 150 in straight pool.

Oh, and one more comes to mind, how about Jersey Red and Ronnie Allen playing some one pocket?!

Good Question

HalSmith
05-26-2003, 05:10 AM
L.S. found it nice to know someone else sees Ronnie Allen a player too. I have the pleasure of having him come into the PH where I play. He comes in from time to time seeking a little action. He is not what he used to be but can still walk into a hall and be one of the top 2 or 3 player in there. And his sense of humor is still there.---Smitty

dg-in-centralpa
05-26-2003, 07:15 AM
My choices would be Mosconi in his prime against Mike Sigel in his prime in straight pool. I don't think any of the current women players could top Jean B. in straight on a consistant basis. But if I had to pick it would be Karen Corr against Jean B.

jjinfla
05-26-2003, 07:19 AM
The only current players that I would like to see play would be Earl Strickland and Allen Hopkins. But that will never happen. Then, having heard so much about Mosconi, I would have liked being able to watch him play 14.1. Or just be able to watch him practice. But now that I think about that question I have no overwhelming desire to watch any of them play pool anymore. And I suppose that is what is wrong with professional pool - there really is no fan interest. Participating, even at a low level of play, is far better, enjoyable, than observing. Jake

Popcorn
05-26-2003, 08:22 AM
You are right and wrong. Pool does not seem to be a spectator sport, except for the knowledgeable fan. The average person can't watch pool because they can't appreciate what they are seeing. In fact, the better it is played, the less exciting and interesting it becomes. Having said that, watching good players play, helps keep your interest high and you learn. Every average player will tell you how they played better after watching a good match, if for no other reason, due to some increased enthusiasm. Real dedicated pool players, love to watch other players play. Go to any hard-core poolroom and when two good players are matched up, once word gets around, it will be standing room only. It's sad, that if through some magic, and that is what they are talking about, you would not walk across the street to see Ponzi or Greenlief play. I think you are in a very, very small minority, possibly only of one.

NH_Steve
05-26-2003, 11:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> The only current players that I would like to see play would be Earl Strickland and Allen Hopkins. But that will never happen. Then, having heard so much about Mosconi, I would have liked being able to watch him play 14.1. Or just be able to watch him practice. But now that I think about that question I have no overwhelming desire to watch any of them play pool anymore. And I suppose that is what is wrong with professional pool - there really is no fan interest. Participating, even at a low level of play, is far better, enjoyable, than observing. Jake <hr /></blockquote>
Actually, those two very players have an exhibition match scheduled in Maryland. Guess it's time to put up and get yourself there!
http://www.azbilliards.com/2000storyb.cfm?storynum=896

Popcorn
05-26-2003, 12:38 PM
I don't know about a fantasy match, but I would love to see some of the players of the past play. Ralph Greenleaf, Erwin Rudolph, Andrew Ponzi, Ruth Mcginnis, especally Alfredo DeOro. Although I have seen Mosconi, Caras, Crane, Lassiter play, not in their prime.

PoolFan
05-26-2003, 02:28 PM
Mosconi and Reyes playing 14.1 Continuous in an old championship match race to 1,500 in blocks. I believe that Willie would start off strong, but Reyes would have a come back in the end after learning from Mosconi.

I would like to see many top legends play in their prime like "Boston Shorty" playing billiards or one-pocket, Crane and Mosconi playing Straight Pool, Wimpy play 9-ball. I could go on and on.

Very interesting question.

L.S. Dennis
05-26-2003, 02:43 PM
How about anyone of these players playing anyone else in the group!!!
Maurice "Tugboat" Whaley, Jersey Red, Norm Weber,Peter Rabbit,Bud Hypes,Weenie Beenie, Smilin' Bob, Glen Womack,Hubert Cokes, Cleo Vaughn, 'Connecticut Johnny', Earl Hiesler, "Junior" Goff, Don Willis, San Jose Dick, Ronnie Allen (the real "fast eddie") Jack White "Cannonball" Kienowski, well I'm sure I missed a couple, but just the folk lore associated with the above named would be enough to fill 10 encyclopedia britanicas

Rich R.
05-26-2003, 03:31 PM
I would like to see Mosconi and Lassiter, playing 14-1 to 500 points.
Just kick back and enjoy.

Also, I would like to see, my sentimental favorite, Lou Butera playing 14-1 with almost any one. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

thecardman
05-26-2003, 05:00 PM
From modern day players, I would say Reyes vs either Strickland OR Bustamente in the final of the World Championships (race to 17). At that point, both players would be at the top of their game and could give us one of the best matches you could imagine.

Of the "old school", I'd love to see a 14.1 match between Mosconi and Crane. Not the first to 150, 500 or even 1,000 balls, but the first to fall down loses! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Just my thoughts.

thecardman
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jjinfla
05-26-2003, 05:14 PM
Hey Popcorn, How come nobody mentioned Willie Hoppe? My problem is that I only started playing about 5 years ago and all those people that are mentioned bring no memories to mind because I didn't know of them as I was growing up. And never saw them play, in person, or tape. Living in Central Florida now that I am retired I am fortunate that there have been quite a few tournaments over these Past 5 years where I could see and meet a lot of the current pros. And I spent a lot of time watching them play. Both male and female. But I am the exception, at least down here. Most of the couple hundred or so pool players that I have met around here have no idea of the professional world of pool. I would ask people if they were watching the Mosconi Cup and they had absolutely no idea what I was talking about. Let alone who was in it. Hopefully it is a lot better up north with the Joss tour. That sure seems like a winner. But I think the professional world of pool is a well kept secret from the average player. At least that is my perception. And yes I am aware of the Hopkins/Strickland exhibition match and would love to see it but it is not close enough. I'm not interested enough to hop a plane that's for sure. And I can well afford it. I would like to see the players at Grady's tournament in Naples but not enough to travel 300 miles. And besides play, what do the pros do to encourage fans to come watch them? But one of the current players I enjoy watching is Scotty Townsend. He's a character and fun to watch. And anybody who drinks JD Black can't be all bad. This weekend there is a tournament in Orlando where a few pros might show up and I am still not sure if I am going. I still have a bitter taste in my mouth over the way Charlie and the Pros mistreated the fans last year. Jake

Popcorn
05-26-2003, 05:41 PM
You are just not relay a pool fan, that's OK.

jjinfla
05-26-2003, 07:16 PM
Hey now that's an independent thought. You may have something there. Why didn't I think of it? But Willie Nelson's special is on TV now and that is pure enjoyment.

Ken
05-26-2003, 07:44 PM
C'mon Jake, I'm going to drive 1500 miles to go to Naples. Surely you can drive 300 (it's more like 240). It's just a 4 hour drive for you.

Willie Hoppe was billiards. A billiards contest involves short runs and many open tables. A brilliant run often is stopped by a miss of a few millimeters. A point can be scored from any position and the intricacies of playing position or safe may be evident to a very knowlegable person but would be lost on most including me. The game is still being played by masters at a very high level unlike 14.1 which nobody plays enough anymore.

If you want to see Hoppe shoot a few I'll bring you a tape but you can watch world class billiards now in this country (you might have to drive more than 300 miles).
KenCT

L.S. Dennis
05-26-2003, 11:47 PM
Accustats does have a great set of tapes of Strickland and Reyes playing a race to 120. A must see (at least the last tape in the set) for any nine ball enthusiast!

05-27-2003, 05:52 AM
here are my best match-ups:

Grady Vs Minnesota fats - straight pool - $20,000

Mosconi Vs Hoppe - One Pocket - Loser retires

Greenleaf Vs Hoppe - One Pocket &amp; Straight Pool - Loser retires

Current:

Bustamante Vs Sigel - 9ball race to 20

Allison Vs Korr - Straight Pool - race to 200

and that's it for me.

Fred Agnir
05-27-2003, 06:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cueball1950:</font><hr> What 2 players men &amp; women, dead or alive would you pay or have paid to watch<hr /></blockquote>

Hoppe vs. Blomdahl
Walter Lindrum vs. Fred Lindrum
The Katsura Sisters against each other
Steve Davis (prime) vs. Stephen Hendry (prime)
Sigel vs. Mosconi 14.1, in Southeast Asia. Oh, the complaints would be brutal

Jean vs. Karen, 9-ball with SARDO.
Jean vs. Karen, 9-ball without SARDO.
Jean vs. Jeanette, U.S.Open 14.1 in NYC.

Harold Worst vs. anyone.

Fred

Snyder1
05-27-2003, 11:00 AM
I'd have to say ME vs. Jeanette Lee (bikini's optional, of course) /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
05-27-2003, 12:05 PM
Keith McCready in his prime vs. Ralph Greenleaf in his prime (with both "primed")

Lou Butera vs. Luc Salvas (don't blink)

Jeanette Lee vs. Jennifer Chen....oh wait, that's a different fantasy.

stick8
05-27-2003, 01:30 PM
My game- Allison Fisher-nude playing Jannette Lee-nude WOW!!!!!!!

L.S. Dennis
05-27-2003, 02:01 PM
Now that would get ESPN the ratings they've always been seeking!!!

snipershot
05-27-2003, 08:19 PM
Butera vs Salvas would make for some excellent action.

Personally, I would like to see Ralf Souqet play a game of speed pool against anyone /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Rich R.
05-28-2003, 04:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>Lou Butera vs. Luc Salvas (don't blink)<hr /></blockquote>
Wally, believe it or not, Lou, in his prime, played much faster than Luc.
In any case, you could probably schedule that match during your coffee break. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rio
05-28-2003, 07:41 AM
Glad you mentioned Lassiter--I'd like to see Lassiter vs. Reyes in 9-Ball. How about Ceulemans or Blomdahl vs. Hoppe in 3-cushion?

Rio

DSAPOLIS
05-28-2003, 10:14 AM
I believe the Stichauf-Butera match would be more interesting as you would have the contrast in styles. For those that don't know about Stichauf, he was possibly the slowest moving player on the planet, AND - he hardly ever missed. I would bet that Lou's head would explode after Stichauf ran the first 25 balls!

#### leonard
05-29-2003, 12:05 PM
Having played Lou in the 1967 US Open and played in other tourneys he competed in I came to the conclusion that the referrees became his silent partner when ever he played. They would rack his balls in 10 seconds and back out of his way in 2 seconds. When they racked for his opponent it was a leisurely rack making sure the rack was perfect etc. They should have racked the balls the same for each player.####