PDA

View Full Version : Where do you grip?

UWPoolGod
05-27-2003, 01:14 AM
I was told the other day via e-mail by a good teacher that if I am gripping the cue back by the buttcap there is something wrong with my form.

I am 6'3" and a 58" cue seems short so I grip it further back. I was at my favorite poolhall tonight where there are windows between two separated rooms. So I looked at my form in the window shooting straight at it and from the side. My stroke is straight as I face the window. From the side I have a 90 degree with cue/forearm, and forearm/upperarm.

I told him I was getting a 60 inch cue and he says it is not needed.

Seems like I am not doing anything wrong, I still run tables from back there. Just want to know where you all grip the cue versus how tall you are and what length cue you are using.

Misel
05-27-2003, 02:27 AM
Hi,
Don,t worry about that if you ask me.My friend who also played in WC in Cardiff the last two years is very tall and plays with a 58" Bludworth and he grips the cue at the very back end and doesn,t have any problems.He constantly runs 100,s in straight pool and plays great 9-ball.If you have the 90 degree angle and grip the cue lightly don,t worry about anything else.Good luck,
Misel

05-27-2003, 03:41 AM
well, i would'nt worry to much about that either, but ftr (for the record ) i usually grip my cue about and inch from the ballance point, or sometimes in the middle. I try to keep it even not to much forward & not to much back. just enought, but i know short & tall players that hold the cue at the very end and it does'nt seem to bother their shot.

bluewolf
05-27-2003, 05:56 AM
If a person has a long bridge and is very tall, I see nothing wrong with a 60' cue. I have beeen told by a good instructor that the correct place to grip the cue is where the forearm is perpendicular.

I have seen good players that hold it back further.

People have too many rules. I have not played pool very long but do have expereince in other sports. Too many rules in all of them. The good ones in that sport,did what was natural and they became better. Doing what is unatural just because someone said so makes a person cramped, uncomfortable and stiffled.

If you have sound fundamentals and play well and run racks, I say be you.

Laura

Amanda
05-27-2003, 06:19 AM
Finding the correct grip point for me was put to me quite simply. Level cue, cue tip right before the cue ball, at that point my arm should be perpendicular to the cue stick. Where ever that ends up being is where I should "cradle" the cue. I'm also a little on the tall side (5'14") and had a 59" cue made, I could have gone 60 but the longer you go the more change for deflection from the cue getting a little too springy. The lenght works great for me and feels very well balanced in my hands.
I've had people tell me I had to find the balance point of the cue and hold it there, problem in that is for a smooth straight stroke you need to build bodies to fit the cues if you hold it there, not an option available with medical science /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Beware the Murphys

Amanda

Fred Agnir
05-27-2003, 06:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Amanda:</font><hr> I'm also a little on the tall side (5'14") <hr /></blockquote>Wow. That is pretty tall. I think.

Hope this helps.

Fred &lt;~~~ short 4' 19"

pooldaddy9
05-27-2003, 06:35 AM
Hey if your running racks, what does that tell you? A friend of mine also grips from the butt (6'3")and he got a longer shaft but still grips from the butt. What works for one doesn't always work for everybody.

Chris Cass
05-27-2003, 06:40 AM
Hi U,

Essentially all your doing is changing the balance point of the cue. As long as your at 90 at approach, your on the money. The balance point for you now is the entire cue. Going to a longer shaft will move your grip forward and I feel will improve your game in the long run, once you get used to it.

Gripping the rear end of the cue also adjusts the amount of follow-through and vision. If things are going well? Don't change it. Remember, all we're looking for in this game is to eliminate variables. I do however, give ya the heads up on the longer shaft. If you have the time to put into getting it down.

Myself? I shoot with a 58 1/2" cue and I grip the cue closer to the end of the wrap, to where my pinky is on the finish. I'm 5'6 1/2" tall.

Regards,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

pooldaddy9
05-27-2003, 06:44 AM
Somehow it doesn't sound as tall this way. That means I only weigh 180lbs and 320ozs.

L.S. Dennis
05-27-2003, 08:08 AM
In one of Jim Rempe's instructional tapes he maintains that gripping a cue near the balance point as was advised for several years is NOT the correct way for the cue to be gripped. He says that you should grip the cue at the very back (or nearly so) and you should have a cue that fits your height so that it can be done properly.

05-27-2003, 10:24 AM
Gee,I wanted to post something. But you pretty much hit the mark. Good advice.

Blind Lemon

pooltchr
05-27-2003, 10:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Amanda:</font><hr> Level cue, cue tip right before the cue ball, at that point my arm should be perpendicular to the cue stick.

Amanda <hr /></blockquote>

That is the part most people forget. 90 degrees from the cue when it is level and the tip is about 1/4 inch or less from the cue ball during your pre-stroke. This will have the cue traveling at it's most level path when it makes contact with the cb.

Kato
05-27-2003, 10:43 AM
Amanda is quite tall indeed. I'm 3' 32" and I hold my cue with my pinky being on the last strand of wrap though I adjust a little here and there depending on the conditions.

Kato

tateuts
05-27-2003, 04:51 PM
I'm 6'1" with a 35" sleeve. When I got a 60" cue, quite by accident, it felt like someone took the handcuffs off me. My bridge got a little longer, my stroke got smoother, and everything leveled out much better through the ball. That little bit more stick gives you a lot more stroke. Sounds to me like you need a 60" cue and a new instructor.

Chris

UWPoolGod
05-27-2003, 05:53 PM
Well i wouldn't call it instructing...more criticising over e-mail. That is over now. I am looking forward to my new cue at the end of next month

Thanks everyone

TonyM
05-27-2003, 06:32 PM
You don't mention your normal bridge length. Is it long or short?

Basically, if you have your back arm perpindicular to the cue (not the floor btw) then you are holding the cue in the correct place.

For that bridge length.

a 60" might be o.k. for you, or maybe just continue holding your cue where you do.

Most Snooker players hold their cues at the very back for consistency.

To reach shots they screw in a little extension in the back (like Karen Corr does).

Makes sense to me.

Tony

snipershot
05-27-2003, 08:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Misel:</font><hr>
My friend who also played in WC in Cardiff the last two years is very tall and plays with a 58" Bludworth and he grips the cue at the very back end and doesn,t have any problems.He constantly runs 100,s in straight pool and plays great 9-ball.
Misel <hr /></blockquote>

What's his name?
Just curious, I wished I had a friend who competed in the WPC.

UWPoolGod
05-27-2003, 08:25 PM
My bridge length is around 6-8 inches I gather.

Todd &lt;--only a guestimate

Popcorn
05-27-2003, 09:00 PM
THIS IS JUST MY OPINION, but where you hold the cue is one of the most over criticized things a player does. As long as I have been going in pool rooms, there is always someone going up to an impressionable player and telling them they are they are holding the cue too far up, or too far back. That is not to say it should not be examined, and even tinkered with, but if you are an experienced player and having no problems, leave well enough alone. There are as many top players that hold the cue far back as hold the cue far up, More. Experimenting with a longer cue is fine to do, but I would not go changing your game all around. I think some of the books that talk about holding the cue just behind the balance point have miss-led players for years. The Miz books are the first that told the truth. Mosconi's book is the worst. He has any player over 5 foot tall all cramped up, if you take what he says literally. What is funny, when I saw him play for the first time, he was holding the cue at the back of the wrap and his chin was almost on the cue. All the pictures you see of players when they pose, are nothing like they play.

Mike H
05-27-2003, 09:33 PM
If you're physically comfortable with your grip and you're running out, there's no sense in fixing what isn't broken. Keep in mind, players like Buddy Hall and Corey Deuel, for example, grip the cue behind the wrap. It's a matter of preference. I find myself doing it once in a while, usually when I need to come with a long, tough shot. The rest of the time, I'm gripping the cue at the front of the wrap (my normal bridge length is at least 12-14 inches, often more).

Fred Agnir
05-28-2003, 07:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote UWPoolGod:</font><hr> My bridge length is around 6-8 inches I gather.

Todd &lt;--only a guestimate <hr /></blockquote>I thought I had an 8" bridge, but on seeing it on video, it was much longer. Closer to 12"

Fred &lt;~~~ longer than he thought