PDA

View Full Version : Ever just have one of those really bad days?

Yuppie
05-27-2003, 07:54 AM
I got a new cue on Friday and have been trying to play a lot since then. But no matter what I do, I just can't seem to get focused.

Ever just have days where you couldn't hit a ball in the hole to save your life?

I think I need to take a few days off and get lots of sleep.

Alfie
05-27-2003, 08:17 AM
I got a new cue on Friday and have been trying to play a lot since then. But no matter what I do, I just can't seem to get focused.

<font color="blue">Getting frustrated?</font color>

Ever just have days where you couldn't hit a ball in the hole to save your life?

<font color="blue">Oh yeah.</font color>

I think I need to take a few days off and get lots of sleep.

<font color="blue">OK. See you later.</font color>

Chris Cass
05-27-2003, 08:28 AM
Nope.

C.C.~~LMAO I can't hold a cue. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Kato
05-27-2003, 09:58 AM
Sure, every time I play for the last 2 years.

Kato~~~awful, just awful

05-27-2003, 03:28 PM
Some days are more wildly inconsistent than others /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif.

Today, for instance, was crazier than usual. Started out solo, playing a little 14:1 to warm up ... right off the bat I nearly ran the table. Then, after a miss or two, think I actually did run it, and in next couple of racks twice set up and made the break shot. Was feeling pretty locked in.

Then somebody wants to play some 9 ball, guy who's probably a notch better than me ... played a couple of races to 5 ... made a handful of first-class shots in positions where safety looked at least as tough (for me, who sucks at safety play) as an A level shot, but invariably botched the run somewhere. Aaarggh ...

Still won both races and walked out feeling like I'd played like total #hit. On the bright side, I think, to paraphrase Emerson, a foolish inconsistency can be a hobgoblin to better players. Drag em down in the mud with you, if you're really stinking it up. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rod
05-27-2003, 03:35 PM
Me either Chris,
Course I haven't held a cue lately either. LOL

Popcorn
05-27-2003, 05:24 PM
I am not being a smart A, but no, I don't. I play somewhere around the same everyday with a small fluctuation up and down. Never much though and I am the only one aware of it, you could not really tell from watching. I hear people say, "I can't make a ball" but it never happens to me, or most of the players I know. I gamble very often and can depend on playing a certain speed no matter what. I am totally serious, I would be in real trouble if I couldn't.

Ralph S.
05-27-2003, 05:42 PM
I had a night several weeks ago that was soooooooo bad. I was playing some $20 sets with a buddy of mine. We usually play pretty even and are both fairly solid players. That night I was a far cry from solid. I got drilled 7-0 7-2 7-1. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

snipershot
05-27-2003, 08:12 PM
I wouldn't say I have days where I couldn't sink a ball to save my life but I certainly have my off-days. I will be mid-run shooting fine and all of a sudden I will miss a straight in shot or blow my shape, s##t /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Taking a break is definitely a good idea, just don't do what my brother did and take a month off and expect to shoot like you regularly do right when you go back.

Scott Lee
05-27-2003, 11:29 PM
Popcorn...I'm just like you!...and I need no warmup either! LOL I believe it has a lot to do with the fact that players like you, Rod, CC, Steve Lipsky, and several others, myself included, can totally "trust" your stroke!
That allows you to play at that consistent speed you talk about! I also believe that once you reach that potential, you never lose it...even if you lay off for months, or even years. I have an 87 yr. old millionaire friend of mine, from S. CA, who was a pro player in the 20's, 30's, and 40's, before quitting the game totally for almost 40 yrs.
He picked it back up about 20 yrs ago, and still plays runout pool at the drop of a hat! His mentor was Erwin Rudolph!

Scott Lee

Deniel
05-27-2003, 11:46 PM
You said you just got a new cue? It might be your cue to blame then. But wait,before you throw your cue away ^__^. I had the same problem when I got my cue, I couldn't pot a ball either, I then realize that since it's a new cue I was paying more attention on how the cue felt, how the wrap felt on my hand, hot the tip sound upon impact, etc when I should be focusing more on the ball, I got distracted by the new cue. It might be case with you