PDA

View Full Version : Richard Black Cues

Kato
03-27-2002, 12:51 PM
I just got off Richard Black's site and was amazed at how wonderful his cues look. I'm especially intriqued by the "Septre". Anyway, has anybody ever played with his higher end stuff? How is the hit.

Kato~~~broke, but a dreamer

Rich R.
03-27-2002, 01:05 PM
Kato, they look even better in person. I was looking at them last week in Valley Forge. Unfortunately, I have never played with one, but I have heard good things. Rich R.

Kato
03-27-2002, 01:26 PM
I'd be willing to bet you're right Rich. There is absolutely no way that my computer screen could ever do justice to the awesome work Mr. Black does. I did speak to a buddy in Texas a few minutes ago and of course he had nothing but nice things to say about Black's cues.

Kato~~~still drooling but no longer shaking.

Rich R.
03-27-2002, 02:09 PM
You got me interested and I had to revisit Richard Black's site to check out the "Septre". You have good taste. I did not even look at the prices of the more elaborate custom designed cues, but I am sure they are high. I came very close to walking away with one of his more standard designs, the "Bushka". That one was $1600. I'll let you estimate what the price of the "Septre" would be. LOL. Maybe you could put it on you Christmas list.
Rich R.~~~when it comes to nice cues, there are too many choices and too few dollars.

Kato
03-27-2002, 03:40 PM
$3,000 TO $5,000 is my guess. Who knows. I'm a big fan of black cues though I always seem to gravitate towards browns and greens. Just let me win the lottery and we'll have a black cue show down. Richard Black, Cognescentti, Samsara, Manzino aaannnnnddddd anybody else that can make one for me.

Kato~~~R.J. would be forced to spend $100,000 on cues. Not even cues to play with.

03-27-2002, 03:50 PM
I have owned about six of his cues and have played with many. Two built for me and the rest I bought here and there. They all felt dead to me. They are more for the collector then the player in my opinion. I don't know what is wrong them but I have not know many players that owned and used them for long. I felt the same way about Gus Szamboti's cues. They did not play easily if you know what I mean. This is not a knock, They are flawlessly made but don't play well in my opinion. Or at least from one cue to another. But to date I have not picked up one I liked. Can't speak for anyone else.

03-27-2002, 05:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Rich R.:</font><hr> You got me interested and I had to revisit Richard Black's site to check out the "Septre". You have good taste. I did not even look at the prices of the more elaborate custom designed cues, but I am sure they are high. I came very close to walking away with one of his more standard designs, the "Bushka". That one was $1600. I'll let you estimate what the price of the "Septre" would be. LOL. Maybe you could put it on you Christmas list.
Rich R.~~~when it comes to nice cues, there are too many choices and too few dollars. <hr></blockquote>

there is one especially nice thing about richard black cues. especially the higher-end ones. the price you pay richard will probably be the cheapest that cue will ever sell for.

dan

Rod
03-27-2002, 06:10 PM
Kato, is this Kato asking? Anyway I like the way most of his cues look. I have never hit with one, maybe my friends don't make enough money!

Tommy_Davidson
03-28-2002, 02:29 AM
&gt; Richard Black cues hit a lot like the typical "Maryland" cues,ie: Phillippi,Tim Scruggs,early Joss East,Black Boar,and Szamboti. You either love the hit of a cue with a piloted stainless joint,or you hate it. Someone said something in an earlier post on this subject about Szambotis and Blacks not playing "easy",which is the truth. Most players feel that cues like SouthWest and Cognoscenti are "stiffer" than a steel jointed cue,but to me it's just the opposite. In my opinion,a steel jointed cue is stiffer than a flat-faced,big pin cue,and in a way can be "harder" to play with,in terms of drawing the ball,applying sidespin,etc. In my case,a steel jointed cue like my Schon,made me develop my stroke,which was a little inadequate after playing with a Meucci since I started playing. If you are out of stroke,or have a weak stroke,it can be hard to do a lot with the cue ball when playing with the typical steel-jointed cue like a Black or the aforementioned "Maryland" group. Richard's cues are extremely well made,rise in value,and show up on time,in terms of when they actually show up at your house. I've been told that Richard is an absolute dream to do business with,too. It's funny that someone mentioned putting one of his cues on their Christmas list,one of Richard's earlier brochures had several of his higher-end cues such as the Silver Crown,in a separate section called "Wish Boook",similar to the old Sears Christmas catalog,LOL. Tommy D.