PDA

View Full Version : tips

05-27-2003, 01:13 PM
whats a great tip for a predator shaft ? I dont really care for le pro

Predator314
05-27-2003, 01:19 PM
Talisman and Moori make good tips. They are more expensive than LePro's. I also really like Triangle tips. They aren't layered like the talisman and moori, and are cheaper and hit great.

Rod
05-27-2003, 01:26 PM
It's all subjective, try different tips until you find one you like. What kind of cue it's going on doesn't make any difference. What's wrong with Le-pro, to soft or hard? Le-Pro tips aren't all that consistant. Triangle is a decent tip. I play with a Water Buffalo.

cycopath
05-27-2003, 01:31 PM
I went from playing with a Moori to a Triangle, and couldn't tell a significant difference between the two. I'm still playing with the Triangle and it still plays great.

Fred Agnir
05-27-2003, 01:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rawpaak:</font><hr> whats a great tip for a predator shaft ? <hr /></blockquote>Here's a tip: Don't burnish the tip too aggressively. The melt point of the ferrule on a Predator Shaft is much lower than a regular ferrule (which most don't have a melt point at all).

Hope that tip really helps,

Fred &lt;~~~ has a Triangle on a fiber pad on his Predator shaft

cycopath
05-27-2003, 01:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr>Fred &lt;~~~ has a Triangle on a fiber pad on his Predator shaft <hr /></blockquote>What is the deal with the fiberpad? What is the advantage, if any? Seems to me it would be just another separation point. Or energy absorbing.

pooltchr
05-27-2003, 01:56 PM
There are so many different tips out there, you just need to try several until you find what works for you. I gave up on Le Pro because there is no consistancy with them. I shoot with a WB now and like it a lot. Triangle, Triumph, are both good solid tips. Moori, Tiger and other laminated layered tips are good as well, although usually a bit more expensive.

Kato
05-27-2003, 02:05 PM
I'm a big fan of Tailsman Pro Medium and a very satisfied former Triangle user.

Kato

Rod
05-27-2003, 02:12 PM
Fiber pads protect the ferrule, especially if the tip is thin. It also allows you to cut back to the pad and not the ferrule. Some people claim they feel a difference, I've never felt a difference. Properly installed you'd never know other than it being there for protection. It's a good idea, there on all of my shafts.

SPetty
05-27-2003, 02:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> Fred &lt;~~~ has a Triangle on a fiber pad on his Predator shaft <hr /></blockquote>I guess I'd have to listen to Fred's advice...

SPetty&lt;~~~also has a Triangle on a fiber pad on my Predator shaft /ccboard/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Fred Agnir
05-27-2003, 03:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cycopath:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr>Fred &lt;~~~ has a Triangle on a fiber pad on his Predator shaft <hr /></blockquote>What is the deal with the fiberpad? What is the advantage, if any? Seems to me it would be just another separation point. Or energy absorbing. <hr /></blockquote> The sound is muted, IMO. I don't think there's any difference in performance, but something about the interface between tip/fiber, fiber/ferrule that mutes the sound compared to tip/ferrule. And that's the sound (or lack thereof) that I like.

Also, as Rod said, it protects the ferrule. You have more useable tip life as the tip gets thinner. And in general, players like the way their tip performs when it's all broken in, so the longer they can play with it, the better.

Plus, with the capped proprietary Predator ferrule, the less I cut into it, the better (or else suffer the $40 ferrule change charge). So, the pad will also protect the ferrule between tip changes during facing.

Fred

Fred Agnir
05-27-2003, 03:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> I gave up on Le Pro because there is no consistancy with them.<hr /></blockquote>For the first time in my life, I bought a 50 pack of LePros. I did the bite test on several of them. Night and day. On some, my teeth barely made a mark. On others, I sunk well into the tip. I'm surprised I haven't done this until now.

Fred &lt;~~~ Rockwell Scale "T"

Aboo
05-27-2003, 04:14 PM
What is "the bite test"? Just curious.
I don't have long enough history of pool to have a tip preference I guess. Maybe I just don't know what is causing what.

smfsrca
05-27-2003, 04:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Here's a tip: Don't burnish the tip too aggressively<hr /></blockquote>
How could you know this unless you have actually done it?
If you have done it, what was the resulting damage and how did you fix it? What do you mean by too aggressively? Did Predator replace the ferrule?

pooldaddy9
05-27-2003, 08:10 PM
I would have to go along with the triangle. I use to like the LePro but now stuck on triangle.

Fred Agnir
05-28-2003, 07:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote smfsrca:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote me:</font><hr>Here's a tip: Don't burnish the tip too aggressively<hr /></blockquote>
How could you know this unless you have actually done it?
If you have done it, what was the resulting damage and how did you fix it? What do you mean by too aggressively? Did Predator replace the ferrule?

<hr /></blockquote>I had a house stick on the lathe. I was burnishing the tip with a piece of leather, and... I burnt a nice ring in the ferrule. That ferrule is thermoplastic.

When I got the Predator shaft, I read somewhere that it also is a thermoplastic, and it's got a relatively thin wall. Since I know something about thermoplastics and I've successfully destroyed a thermoplastic ferrule, I can be an authority and say that it (the P314 ferrule) will melt if you're too aggressive with it. Burnishing doesn't need a ton of pressure, it doesn't need leather, and it doesn't need a lathe. But, if you use a lathe, don't get too aggressive. I'm sure Predator would replace a burnt ferrule... for $40.

I think real cue repair folk will agree.

Fred

Predator314
05-28-2003, 07:48 AM
Where do you get these fiber pads? What do they look like?

Fred Agnir
05-28-2003, 07:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Aboo:</font><hr> What is "the bite test"? Just curious.
I don't have long enough history of pool to have a tip preference I guess. Maybe I just don't know what is causing what. <hr /></blockquote>Simply bite it. Gage for yourself whether or not it is too soft or too hard for your liking.

The going word is that Filipino players like Santos Sambajon carry around their own tips. Usually, they're pre-treated (soaked and compressed until disfigurement). Santos will take some out, bite them, and hand over to the tip-repair guy one that "bites well." Or so the story goes.

Fred

HalSmith
05-28-2003, 08:28 AM
I use Triangles right now . I tried Killers but found them to be too hard for my liking.Tried Tigers and they were ok. I think that the combination of the joint, shaft and ferrule can make tips act different on cues. So I would think that you just have try different tips to find one to your liking.---Smitty

pooltchr
05-28-2003, 10:07 AM
They are small very thin round pads about 14mm in diameter. The repair person at your local pro shop probably has a supply. If you do your own tips, I think you can get them through Atlas Billiard Supply. Some tips have them already attached to the back of the tip.

Kato
05-28-2003, 11:28 AM
WesK sent me a bunch of Tailsman tips and a bunch of fibre pads. Now the tips I love (Tailsman's that is) but the jury is really out on the pads. I tried it on 3 seperate tips and I felt like it deadened the cue and I didn't get the feel I thought I should. My roomate who is in the custom cue making biz shuddered every time I asked him to change a tip and put on a pad. He didn't think anything should seperate the tip from the ferrule. Some people swear by them, I don't like to swear.

Kato

PS. I will soon be trying the Tailsman H with the fibre pad.

Fred Agnir
05-28-2003, 11:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> I tried it on 3 seperate tips and I felt like it deadened the cue <hr /></blockquote>That's what it ends up feeling like. If that's not the feel you're looking for, then it would seem to be a waste of effort to put it on another tip.

One man's "deadened" is another man's "reduced vibrational frequency." That's what they say, right?

Fred &lt;~~~ FWIW

Kato
05-28-2003, 12:50 PM
Thanks for the "tip" Fred.

Kato

smfsrca
05-28-2003, 01:05 PM
Fred,
Sorry if I implied that I was doubting you, I wasn't. I agree because I've done it. I was hoping you had already been through this and know a way to remedy the damage without spending the 40 bucks.
Steve in CA

Fred Agnir
05-28-2003, 01:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote smfsrca:</font><hr> Fred,
Sorry if I implied that I was doubting you, I wasn't. I agree because I've done it. I was hoping you had already been through this and know a way to remedy the damage without spending the 40 bucks.
Steve in CA <hr /></blockquote>

On my house cue, I sanded as well as I could, but the ring of nasty brown is still there. There's no getting around it, I'd think. When you burn it to the point of it turning colors, the chemical make-up is actually changed. So, no such luck other than living with an off-color ferrule.

Fred &lt;~~~ wonders if it affects performance

hadenball
05-28-2003, 02:12 PM
I don't like the pads either, some people like them cause they can wear the tip down real thin before replacing it. I don't like the feel but I think the main reason for the pads is when you have an Ivory ferrule or a thin wall ferrule. Actually rather than a pad you could ask for a capped ferrule and then there's no need for a pad. hb

smfsrca
05-28-2003, 05:31 PM
I did it by getting too ambitious while using a Porper burnisher. Mine didn't turn brown. It is still white but the upper 1/16" of the ferrule looks different then the rest of the ferrule. It looks distorted where the ferrule meets the leather of the tip, as if it melted to the leather. I haven't detected any noticable difference in performance but it does continue to bother me. When I am ready for a new tip I may have the upper 1/16" removed.
Steve in CA

Sid_Vicious
05-28-2003, 07:51 PM
Years back after getting equipped with a crutch too spinner, I worked a burnish on a spare shaft of an EK1 McDermott cue till it was a suspected problem, it has always reported something strange in it's hit since then. It did not turn brown but something tells me I changed it, so I hold back now when I feel heat...sid~~~never worked my 314 but will definetely remember this thread when I do