PDA

View Full Version : Watch out-Hackers about

Qtec
05-27-2003, 02:15 PM
I forgot to log off yesterday.During the night there was at least 20 attempts to access my computer.All blocked,thank you Zone Alarm.Havent checked them all,but they all have different IPs.Traced some back to Poland.I am i the only one?

Kato
05-27-2003, 02:40 PM
I get pinged now and again.

Kato

Qtec
05-27-2003, 08:59 PM
How can you tell if its a hack attempt or harmless ping.When i tried to access this site,i couldnt.I dont know a lot about it.

Kato
05-28-2003, 07:34 AM
Are there harmless pings? I don't know enough about pinging. Zone Alarm seems to stop pretty much everything.

Kato

highsea
06-01-2003, 11:51 PM
A ping in itself is harmless. Just a way to test a connection. Ping floods can slow down or even stop certain systems, usually targeted at web servers.

Most likely this is some spammer running a port scanner on a block of IP's looking for an open mail server to relay spam. Happens everyday. A decent firewall will block these probes and log the source IP address. I've shut down people doing this to my networks before by sending the logs to their ISP abuse dept. If you run a software or "personal" firewall you can probably block most probes. If you can discover the source IP address, just block access from that computer.

Qtec
06-02-2003, 03:53 AM
Can it be true? Somebody who does know what they are talking about and and has a sense of humour! I was beginning to think i was the only one. Q

Kato
06-02-2003, 06:38 AM
So there you have it, 2 whole people that both know what they are talking about AND have a sense of humor. Amazing. I myself rarely know what I'm talking about and have absolutely no sense of humor. Thankfully, I'm in denial and schizophrenic so one my other halves (is it possible to have more than 2 halves?) think that perhaps you are wrong but really can't prove anything. So while one half believes you're right and one half believes you're wrong the other 3 halves are undecided because of faulty unprocessed information. I'm sure it will be explained to us at a later date.

Kato~~~and many just like him

eg8r
06-02-2003, 08:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Can it be true? Somebody who does know what they are talking about and and has a sense of humour! I was beginning to think i was the only one. Q <hr /></blockquote> Now that was funny. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BOO. Your it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r &lt;~~~Not stalking, just funnin

WaltVA
06-02-2003, 11:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> Thankfully, I'm in denial and schizophrenic so one my other halves (is it possible to have more than 2 halves?) think that perhaps you are wrong but really can't prove anything. So while one half believes you're right and one half believes you're wrong the other 3 halves are undecided because of faulty unprocessed information. I'm sure it will be explained to us at a later date.

Kato~~~and many just like him <hr /></blockquote>

Kato - CAREFUL - DO NOT plan on travel to Hamiltucky. IIRC, you are clearly in violation of the local sub-division ordinances. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Walt in VA

Qtec
06-02-2003, 11:20 AM
I,m rolling about on the floor.LOL. Q

Nightstalker
06-02-2003, 03:06 PM
Haha, hacking and probe attempts that are blocked by widely available firewalls are not serious threats obviously. If someone really wanted to get in, they could. It may take some time, but it could be done.