PDA

View Full Version : Bluewolf - A few suggestions

DSAPOLIS
05-27-2003, 03:11 PM
In regards to saying that you do not think while you shoot, that you just shoot.

Laura,

I think you think more than you think you think.

For someone that types as much as you do on your keyboard about the struggles you are having with the game, I believe that instead of "thinking" you are "worrying". There is a such thing as having too much information, Laura. I believe that this is where you are running into the brick wall. In "Building the Perfect Game" I talk about building your game from the ground up in much the same way that you would build a house. Whether you are building a home or an outhouse, it makes no sense to try to build the roof first, but many players fall into that trap. It is essential, and vitally important to master the fundamentals first, and that is what will establish a foundation for the rest of your game. I don't think it matters how many instructors have told you that there is nothing wrong with your stance or stroke, there is always room for improvement. If you are "not thinking", then how will you remember how you did something correctly? That makes no sense to me, and I wonder where you picked that up. If you do not "think", what are you going to do on league night when you have to "think your way out of a trap" or read the rack? Mental preparation is just as important, probably even more important than physical preparation. It is my argument that one must be keenly aware of what you are doing and very alert to what is going on at the table. Simply dismissing thinking as something that you no longer do when you are shooting sounds pretty ridiculous, and is probably nowhere close to what is actually occurring when you are at the table.

The mental cues must guide the physical cues and they must work in unison to accomplish the task. You have told me that you and I have the same educational background in psychology, so you must know that what you are saying is quite off base in relation to case study of task performance. I also believe that you would be able to practice longer if you would concentrate on improving upon one skill at a time. Given the level of instruction and the amount of instruction you have recieved, it puzzles me that your practice sessions are not structured toward your progression. It sounds to me from your writing that you are all over the board. You are directing your energy in about 900 different directions. The purpose of practice is to develop weaknesses into strengths. The weaknesses must be identified and worked upon. The strengths must also be made stronger. Proper guidance in this area will help you immensely as a player. Unless you are structuring your practices to strengthen the weak areas of your game, then you are just "putting in time". If you would like some pointers on how to properly structure your practices, I will be happy to pass along that information to you. This information will help you regardless of your physical condition or other struggles that you may be having - if you follow the suggestions correctly.

9 Ball Girl
05-27-2003, 03:21 PM
Tap, Tap, Tap and Snap, Snap, Snap.

Rod
05-27-2003, 03:37 PM
I think at least part of your thinking is right on. Of course it isn't like this hasn't been mentioned before. LOL

bluewolf
05-27-2003, 03:53 PM
I think a little in practice and in reading the rack. When in a match, when shooting, I do not think. I see pictures.

I appreciate your suggestions, David. We do have similar backgrounds but I am dyslexic.perhaps you breezed through. At times I wonder how I ever made it through school.

Laura

05-27-2003, 05:17 PM

Ralph S.
05-27-2003, 05:34 PM
WW, you said that BW is dyslexic. You would know first hand as you know her better than we do. I take your word for it. BW says she doesnt think while she is shooting, all she sees is pictures. This I dont believe at all. The bottom line is pictures or not, this is still a form of thinking as the brain has to manufacture said pictures. She is also trying to apply all this knowledge as Blackjack stated. I have to agree with him to a certain point. Please dont take this as a slam, its not meant to be. It is just an observation based on all her previous posts.

jjinfla
05-27-2003, 07:12 PM
Then keep it simple Laura and limit your stress by playing center ball all the time. Your stress level should go down measureably. Jake

bluewolf
05-28-2003, 04:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DSAPOLIS:</font><hr> In "Building the Perfect Game" I talk about building your game from the ground up in much the same way that you would build a house. <hr /></blockquote>

David,

Is this a book that you have written and is now up for sale to interested persons in pool?

Anyway, I know that your heart is in the right place and you have made available articles that you have written, some of which were quite long.

To be honest, and I am sure this is a dyslexic thing, I could not understand most of them due to so many words. The wei pictures you sent me, I could understand. I generally understand wei tables presented as long as it does not have more than two lines. past that I get confused.

For that reason, I get a lot from 99 crit shots, for example because it is mostly pictures.

I guess i just learn different and that is why too many words I cannot understand. How I got through school. It was very hard because I had to memorize everything,often making up memory tricks.

Laura