PDA

View Full Version : conceding the 9

05-28-2003, 09:43 AM
This drives me a little crazy, the whole etiquette around conceding the 9. Does anybody here ever do it in a money game, maybe as a psychological ploy, that is, give up a couple early in the set, then make em shoot it later? Personally, I don't expect it, even in a game just for fun, but I see the better players do it frequently and have seen people grimace when they've set up a duck on the 9 and I don't reach for the rack.

Fred Agnir
05-28-2003, 09:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote afternooncaddy:</font><hr> This drives me a little crazy, the whole etiquette around conceding the 9. Does anybody here ever do it in a money game, maybe as a psychological ploy, that is, give up a couple early in the set, then make em shoot it later? Personally, I don't expect it, even in a game just for fun, but I see the better players do it frequently and have seen people grimace when they've set up a duck on the 9 and I don't reach for the rack. <hr /></blockquote>It's funny that in match-play golf, conceding and then not-conceding putts is an expected part of the gamesmanship. In the BCA, concessions are not allowed, because it's sharking. One man's gamesmanship is another's sharking.

I was in a tournament where the opponent was conceding every 9-ball. I also conceded a few in kind. Then, one time, a relatively easy 9-ball I didn't conceded. He proceeded to miss it, then mumbled some crap about expecting me to concede it. It sucked all around. So, if I had a choice, I'd rather not have any concessions.

Fred

Aboo
05-28-2003, 09:53 AM
If I do it, I'm done anyway. Mentally that is. If my head is on straight, I NEVER give it up.
To many variables are involved, mis-cue's, pressure, brain-farts, etc...
I've lost to many games shooting at ducks to ever take that chance away from someone else /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

pooltchr
05-28-2003, 10:01 AM
You are right. If you give up the 9, you have already decided you aren't going to win. I might give it up to a team mate when we are just warming up for league, but never in a match or tournament. I've seen too many miscues on the money ball.

DSAPOLIS
05-28-2003, 10:09 AM
I've covered this subject before. This comes right from my book.....

start book quote-
NEVER GIVE UP ANYTHING!!!
Anything can happen. He can miscue, he can choke, bobble the 9 in the pocket, he can scratch, whatever. The only ball that counts is the 9 ball. I could care less how well he shot in the first eight balls, he MUST make the 9 ball. If you are doing this, STOP! I don't care what the other guy thinks, fact is, it's none of my business what he thinks about me. I'm there to win a game,match, set of 9 ball. Make him earn every last shot, and make him earn every single game.
Fact is, the game is over when the 9 ball drops, and if they are shooting, make them shoot it. I have seen many guys miss an easy shot on the 9 ball. I've had guys make the shot on the 9 ball, only to unexpectedly scratch down table. Fact of the matter is that in pool, the only thing that is predictable is that it is unpredicatble. Surrender nothing. I've said before, that on his way from the break shot to the 9 ball, I want him to trip, miss, lose an eye, whetever gets me back to the table is fine with me. I could care less how well he banked in the 5, unless it's been designated as a money ball, the only shot that counts is the 9 ball. Make him shoot it. I shoot in every ball. Many times, I am down in my stance intending to shoot the 9 in while my opponent is raking the 9 ball off of the table with the shaft of his cue. Guys that do this, subconsciously are avoiding the outcome. Let him know beforehand that you intend to have him shoot everything in, and vice versa. I usually sit down while the other guy is shooting. During a match, I am not comfortable with someone walking up to the table while I am shooting. It's just plain rude, and to me it is poor ettiquette. I remain seated. You'd be surprised how many guys will run the first eight balls, then they look over to you as if to ask you whether or not you want them to shoot it. The other guy shoudl stay seated in the chair while his opponent is shooting. The game is over when the 9 drops. If you agree to this beforehand, this isssue is no longer an issue. - end book quote

Predator314
05-28-2003, 10:28 AM
I will give up an easy 9 ball shot to a friend. Usually we go to tournaments splitting all winnings anyway.

Against anyone else, they have to shoot that damn thing. I like when they get mad for me not giving it to them. It gives them something else to think about.

9 Ball Girl
05-28-2003, 10:35 AM
Even if it's BIH, regardless if it's a friendly game or not, I make them shoot it. Hey, you never know. I've seen things happen with that 9 ball that makes me glad I didn't concede the game. I've seen games conceded with BIH on the 7 ball! Not me!

Singlemalt
05-28-2003, 10:57 AM
Never concede on my part for sure. I have been in numerous matches or money games, did not concede and the player would miss a easy duck. Yea, they get a little pissed, but no one made them miss the easy shot.....

pooldaddy9
05-28-2003, 11:22 AM
I remember one time at the US OPEN, one of the players gave the nine ball and it cost him two games instead of one. You are not allowed to give a ball.I don't know if that is just tournament rules or what but I saw it happen.

Rod
05-28-2003, 11:23 AM
I don't expect it, Im more than happy to shoot. On the other hand I've given away many and received countless. Like Fred mentioned in golf it's up to the opponent. If your not giving it away then don't make a move. In that type of game if a guy moves on me then I shoot it into the end rail. LOL Never had a problem that I can recall, gambling or otherwise.

What can be somewhat common is on a bar table. Giving up the last three in order to save enough balls for the next rack. It saves the opponent coins $ for the table if he chooses to do so. I have given them up and received many more. For those that perceive this as a weakness, it depends on how your head is screwed on. IE mental process. If you feel like a looser-----

It's always your choice either way no matter what kind of look you may get. No problem here either way.

Steve Lipsky
05-28-2003, 11:28 AM
I don't like it either. I find it easier, though, to ask about playing to finality with players under or around my speed than over my speed.

- Steve

Qtec
05-28-2003, 11:38 AM
Rod, it depends on your opponent.If the guy is good,dont expect him to miss the simple 9.Its about respect and facing up to reality.If the guy is not so good,let him pot it everytime.If i had just run out 3 racks 9 ball,i would consider it an insult if he made me pot a 9 thats hanging over the pocket.

9 Ball Girl
05-28-2003, 11:42 AM
Qtec, I understand your point, but it shouldn't matter how good the person is. Respect the game and make them win by sinking the 9 ball the way the game was meant to be won, you know?

05-28-2003, 11:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooldaddy9:</font><hr>I remember one time at the US OPEN, one of the players gave the nine ball and it cost him two games instead of one. You are not allowed to give a ball.I don't know if that is just tournament rules or what but I saw it happen. <hr /></blockquote>Depends on the tournament.

The other day I saw a televised match I had recorded some time ago, I think between Allison and somebody (not sure who) but the loser conceded the match on the last 2 or 3 balls of the hill set. I was surprised, to say the least, that they would concede on a TV match like that.

I don't like concessions myself...

eg8r
05-28-2003, 11:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Qtec, I understand your point, but it shouldn't matter how good the person is. Respect the game and make them win by sinking the 9 ball the way the game was meant to be won, you know? <hr /></blockquote> AMEN!!!!!

eg8r

UTAddb
05-28-2003, 11:48 AM
Good advice BJ. The only time I'll give it up is if I'm just playing for fun and they give me that look like "you're really gonna make me shoot this," but I never do it when it counts for something. The 9 ball is the only one that matters, why would you give it away!?

cycopath
05-28-2003, 12:10 PM
Not too long ago I was talking to an older local guy, who in his day was a damn good road player. He recalled that when he would play Rick Howard, the maker of Mace jump/break cues as well as other fine customs, Rick would get down to the 9b and say, "You'll give me that one right?". And Fred would give it to him. This lasted for a while and Fred said Rick was pretty hard to beat, until Fred stopped giving him that 9b. Rick would choke on the 9b about half the time.

Sid_Vicious
05-28-2003, 12:17 PM
I feel the same Qtec. If somebody opts to not give me the obvious 9, I ain't bothered about it. But if is an apparent protocol that he's going to be giving me the nine outta respect, then I will reciprocate, just the respectful thing to do IMO. Sitting and praying that the impossible miscue with BIH on a spot shot seem a little cheap and demeaning to me. Now if the guy's acting like a jackass then he can figure no respect from me...sid

Rod
05-28-2003, 12:25 PM
Wendy,
I understand your point of view. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif LOL I don't consider it a disrespect for the game. I'll give an easy shot at times to anyone.

Just like match play in golf. Those guys/gals give away putts, when they choose, on national TV! There is no disrespect for the game, rather respect/courtesy for their opponent. Two people playing pool should not be any different unless prior rules state otherwise, it is match play. In the end it is always your choice. The problem with pool or any game is some/many players do not live up to the high standards of rules in general.

Rod

CrispyFish
05-28-2003, 12:32 PM
IMO, the *constant* possibility of missing a shot is one of the things that makes good pool so rewarding. When you're on, you're on, and when you're not... those sitting ducks look more like mutant alien space-geese!

I'll give my opponent the due respect when he finishes the run. In the same vein, I don't like being given games; I like to finish what I started!

9 Ball Girl
05-28-2003, 12:32 PM
True true. I do agree though that it is your choice. If Player A is constantly conceding the game to Player B, Player B doesn't have to return the favor. So, and I've seen this happen, arguments usually arise from something like that and I think it's just easier for everyone to shoot the 9 and call it a day! Matter of fact, I was at a tourny on Monday and what I just described happened "what, you're gonna make me shoot? you have no respect?" and blah blah blah.

Popcorn
05-28-2003, 12:46 PM
I doubt that, I am going back a few years, but I have played Rick a number of times and he was a double tough player when he was playing. This Fred you talk about would not be "Creole Freddie" would it, since he brings up Ricks name?

pooljunkie73
05-28-2003, 12:51 PM
In our Canadian Championships,if you give them the 9 you lose that game and one more as a penalty.Watched a shooter lose a match over it!Personally i make them shoot everything.I've seen people hang the nine before,so you never know.

cycopath
05-28-2003, 01:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> I doubt that, I am going back a few years, but I have played Rick a number of times and he was a double tough player when he was playing. This Fred you talk about would not be "Creole Freddie" would it, since he brings up Ricks name? <hr /></blockquote>Nope, Fred Sherwood. A regional player here in the Southeast. But it's been a while ago.

Rod
05-28-2003, 01:23 PM
I agree in most cases it is better to play the game out. That is because those people do not have a grip on the rules. Rules are not just what happens during the game such as fouls etc. A complete understanding of the rules includes being a good sport or a gentleman. If your not given a ball, then you have to shoot without all the wise comments. That is regardless of what happened earlier. Some people choose to be an a$$ and make a big deal out of nothing. They'll always have a problem somewhere and that is disrespect for what should be a gentelmans game.

Rod

jjinfla
05-28-2003, 02:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooldaddy9:</font><hr> I remember one time at the US OPEN, one of the players gave the nine ball and it cost him two games instead of one. You are not allowed to give a ball.I don't know if that is just tournament rules or what but I saw it happen. <hr /></blockquote>

I think that just recently Karen Corr found out the hard way not to conceed the 9. She pushed the 9 conceeding it and then found out that by doing so she also gets another loss. Not sure if there was a ref, or someone saw it, or her opponent had to turn her in. And recently Helena Thornfeldt was heard saying to Allison, you don't have to shoot it". It was the last ball of the match so no penalty could be assessed. Jake~~~takes his time addressing the nine, and slowly chalks his cue, hoping the idiot will conceed. LOL

pooltchr
05-28-2003, 02:12 PM
I saw Parica playing Dalton in the old Camel tour. Parica is up 10-9 in a race to 11. He rattles the pocket with the 9, taps it in with his cue, and Shannon called Scott over. Scott awarded the game and another game (match) to Shannon, who went on to win the event. Never give it up in a match!

hadenball
05-28-2003, 02:41 PM
Hey ,
where on the gulf coast are you? I live in Navarre,Fl. and used to play at the same room in Fort Walton Beach as Rick and watched him play alot. haden

05-28-2003, 02:46 PM
Fred, good comparison with golf. So gamesmanship is OK, but sharking is not? Aren't they the same thing? Certainly in tennis, which I'm much better at than pool, there's all sorts of rule-bending tactics used in tournaments. And it's generally accepted that you just have to shut it out and focus on your game.

Anyway, glad to hear most of you would rather avoid the whole mess by just letting em shoot that 9. Guess the "respect" comes into play more when you're playing somebody above your speed? Suppose that's why it's an everyday occurrence for me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cycopath
05-28-2003, 02:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote hadenball:</font><hr> Hey ,
where on the gulf coast are you? I live in Navarre,Fl. and used to play at the same room in Fort Walton Beach as Rick and watched him play alot. haden <hr /></blockquote>Not too far away from you, about 20 miles north of Gulf Shores, AL.

UWPoolGod
05-28-2003, 03:08 PM
I don't know, for me it just depends on what mood I am in and who I am playing for them to get the 9. What kind of shape they have etc. Last night not giving one to a good shooter paid off. He had a little angle shot to the opposite corner when he miscued and sent the ball scratching into the near corner. Normally I would have given it, but I wondered about his angle and closeness to the rail with draw.

dg-in-centralpa
05-28-2003, 03:19 PM
Personally I won't concede any 8 or 9 ball. I've seen guys miss both with bih. They got too cocky and choked. I played a guy in a league match this year and conceded the 8 ball. This was done out of respect for me, and while I respect his shooting ability as well, I make everyone shoot.

socrates
05-28-2003, 03:54 PM
It appears that I am in agreement with the majority of the posters responding to this thread.

I liked Blackjacks recommendation to confirm up front your position on conceeding the nine.

Mark Wilson told me time and time again. "Never concede the nine - At a minimum this forces your opponnent to expend mental energy."

In casual play; however, I do find myself guilty of conceding the nine against my better judgement. This post has been a great reminder of why this is not a good habit.

As an aside, if I am ever asked if I am going to make the game ball my response is an adamant YES!!! If my opponent asks this question after my pre-shot routine has started I make sure I perform the pre-shot ceremony again from the begining.

cheesemouse
05-28-2003, 03:55 PM
Afternooncaddy,

[ QUOTE ]
Does anybody here ever do it in a money game, maybe as a psychological ploy<hr /></blockquote>

I can think of one situation where the conceding of a game(particularly in 9-ball) is a good tactical move in addition to a psycholigical move. Concider this move: Your both A+ players, it is the first match of the tournament or gambling session for both, it's winner breaks, you've jumped out to an early lead (say 3-0) and you miss leaving an easy three ball out. It is, IMHO, a good move to give class on these three balls. The reasoning is that the guy has been in the chair for three games while you've run off three racks and he is starting to wonder what's up, he is not feeling good. By giving him these three balls you deny him the chance to settle his nerves down by pocketing the three easy balls; now he only gets to break the next rack and if he fails to make a ball he is back in his chair sweating your action. He is still uncomfortable and you are back at the table having only conceded three ducks which an A+ player is going to make 99.9% of the time.

05-28-2003, 04:03 PM
Sound strategy. Will be sure to try it as soon as I get to that level, assuming my rheumatiz isn't too bad at 138.

Tom_In_Cincy
05-28-2003, 04:04 PM
I don't care either way. I've had my share of gimmes and have conceded many 8 and 9 ball shots.

I don't do it in tournaments. Just a habit. Nothing personal. But I seem to get more concessions when I play in tournaments than matching up. Maybe its a Mid-West thing?

05-28-2003, 04:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If i had just run out 3 racks 9 ball,i would consider it an insult if he made me pot a 9 thats hanging over the pocket.

<hr /></blockquote>

On the other hand maybe 3 racks are a big number in your head, you might be due to miss. You could miscue, your tip could fall off. Hell you could have a heart attack. I respect my bread, you gotta shoot to to get it.

Sid_Vicious
05-28-2003, 04:35 PM
"I was at a tourny on Monday and what I just described happened "what, you're gonna make me shoot? you have no respect?" and blah blah blah."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
I've never been witness to this as best I can remember. Lots of whinning about most every other detail of the game, but I can't remember anyone grumbling about somebody not GIVING them any shot. I'm sure you had the experience 9BG, maybe it's a regional thing, cuz in all of the games I've watched here in the south, I can't remember one time it's happened...sid

9 Ball Girl
05-28-2003, 05:13 PM
Dude, in the circle of guys that play in the tourneys that I know, particular ones that is, you'll hear it. It was no surprise when I saw who it was, as a matter of fact, I was telling my friend while it was happening that that's the reason why I'd never concede a game, especially during a tourney!

It can be a tricky situation too. I've seen Player A about to shoot at the 9 Ball and Player B gets up disgustedly and Player A steps out of his stance thinking that Player B is going to concede the game only to find out otherwise. Shark method maybe? Also, I've seen Player A constantly concede the game to Player B. When Player A starts to catch up with his wins, he no longer concedes games, regardless if it was an identical 9 ball shot from an earlier conceded game. That's what happened at the Monday tourney that I went to.

It's funny the things that I notice and learn when I'm a spectator and not a player. One thing I learned early on was to never ever give the other player the benefit of the doubt during competitive play, and I learned that from watching Pros. If a ball needs to get spotted, tell the TD to do it. If you're having problems racking, tell the TD to do it. If you think it might be a bad hit, tell the TD to watch the hit. I can go on and on but you get my drift.

I believe that there are no friendly opponents in the competitive world of pool. It's just me, the table, and the other person holding the cue is the person who steps in when I need to sit and rest for a minute. LOL

Wendy&lt;---too competitive perhaps? /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

mike_in_iowa
05-28-2003, 07:31 PM
this is going to be long.
Scott Frost was famous around here for conceding 5-7 balls to average players. I could never figure it out until I read capelles mental book on pool. It was about establishing time at the table. If you don't shoot, you don't warm up. That and Scott would aganize over how bad we all played. (few years ago)

I do agree about the respect thing. In the better tourneys in this area with better players conceding the nine is a sign of respect. If you are capable of running racks it is kind of demeaning to shoot the hanging nine ball. But if that is what the opponent wants, you better bear down.

Sure your opponents tip might fall off, might miscue, might dog his brains out, the table leg could give out and I could go on and on. But how bad does your opponent have to play to miss that hanger? Do you ever feel bad about winning a game like that? If your opponent plays that bad to miss that shot and you are worried about winning, what does that say about your game?(this is directed at nobody) Maybe you should be practicing more.

On another note there was a good player here that I was having problems with. We got in a few shoving matches and yellfests but we would still gamble. I stopped giving the easy nines and boy did it piss him off. Like I said it's a RESPECT thing.

I would like to say that I give multiple ball outs to champions and shortstops alike. Sometimes it can be so easy a sl 4 could get out. In my opinion it is ok to concede the nine. But you don't always have to do it. You have to way the odds when you concede. Will he make 999/1000 or just 990/1000? That's when you don't concede and what some of you would call gamemenship or even sharking. But are you playing for fun or are you competing?

This is not advocating sharking, I am not talking about dropping your stick while he is shooting or coughing or light a match or any other lame shark. If you have to resort to those tactics I suggest you get off the compputer and practice.

On a side note that is of interest. My wife is in vegas this week and was playing in the open 9-ball event. she had to win a mini to qualify. My wife plays in local tournaments here in Des Moines and 99.5% of the time is the only female playing against men. Anyway her opponant scratched making the 8 and the nine was 9 inches away from the pocket. It was loser breaks and Jenni grabbed the nine and started to rack the balls. Of course her opponant threw a fit. I guess you can't concede the 9 to yourself. Jenni made a mistake and still won the match 4-1.
My wife did end up getting 2nd in the open 9-ball and 4th in the open 8-ball. Way to go Jenni.
She has worked hard on her game and gotten lessons from some good teachers (Breisath, Kinister and ccb's scott lee).

mike athens

Sid_Vicious
05-28-2003, 08:02 PM
"It was no surprise when I saw who it was"

I "attack" these wise guys with continued "no gifts" and a "beat you" attitude. Yea, if these types happen along in my travels "I ain't no friend" I'm an enemy, but I don't group everyone in their class. Everyone is different, that's all...sid

miko
05-28-2003, 08:50 PM
don't concede the 9. everyone can miss an easy shot. Even Efren miscued and missed on an easy 9 during the last leg of the Asian 9-ball tournament.

Qtec
05-28-2003, 09:07 PM
START(
%FE4Y0%ID6Z0%PG8U2%WX0Z9%XH8U4%Yr5R8%ZY3[2%[i4D3%\s0Q7%]G4X0
%^h3C7%eA2a5
)END If i had ball in hand,would you make me play?Lets say you did and i played the Qball off 3 cushions,how would you feel? START(
%I_5J5%P`5P3%Qb4O3%R^8P6%W[4B6%Xb4O8%Y[4[8%Z]9C4%[_4J4%\^1C4
%]_8L2%^`3O7
)END Here,with BiH,instead of just playing the straight shot A,iwould bank it like this,hard.If you make a good player play a shot that he would make all day long ,you run the risk of him making you look silly.At the very least,you will start the next rack thinking about my last shot.It all depends on the level of the player and the shot.

Qtec
05-28-2003, 10:50 PM
Mike, you know what i,m getting at,but if the guy says shoot,you shoot,never complain.Like your ""friend"",[love it]you can use it to fit the situation,but if the 9 is over the bag ,its over,by conceding the 9 you dont give him the satisfaction of potting the the ball,you dont have to hear it drop and he might think you are better than you actually are.

Scott Lee
05-28-2003, 11:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mike_in_iowa:</font><hr> On a side note that is of interest. My wife is in vegas this week and was playing in the open 9-ball event.

My wife did end up getting 2nd in the open 9-ball and 4th in the open 8-ball. Way to go Jenni.
She has worked hard on her game and gotten lessons from some good teachers (Breisath, Kinister and ccb's scott lee).

mike athens <hr /></blockquote>

Mike...WOW! Terrific! Awesome! KILLER! LOL I just KNEW she had it in her! When you figure you're playing in a tournament with literally hundreds of other players, from around the world (and many of them pro players), and you finish 2nd in
9-ball, and 4th in 8-ball, that is simply AWESOME! Hopefully their team will do as well!
I had another woman student of mine, from Montana, who WON both the open 8-ball and 9-ball divisions, plus 2nd in the scotch doubles, exactly 10 years ago!

Can't wait to hear from her myself! See you in Des Moines next Friday!

Scott

TomBrooklyn
05-29-2003, 12:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DSAPOLIS:</font><hr> Let him know beforehand that you intend to have him shoot everything in, and vice versa. ...If you agree to this beforehand, this isssue is no longer an issue. <hr /></blockquote>I don't agree that this needs to be discussed beforehand. It's part of the rules. Sinking the nine is the whole point of the game as you did indicate. To avoid confusion and practice good etiquitte, one could remain seated or not make any movement as your opponent is shooting the money ball. If my opponent for some reason asked asked me if I wanted him to shoot it, I might reply "Would you like me to shoot it?"

On the other hand, if I want to conceed it, I will. But it's my choice, not the shooters. And if I do it sometimes, it does not obligate me to do it all the time.

The reaction one gets can vary, and it may be good to try to guage it. I played someone recently who asked me I if wanted them to shoot the nine to which I said yes; and it pissed them off a little and it motivated them bear down and play better.

9 Ball Girl
05-29-2003, 08:16 AM
Now there's one I can honestly say I've never seen. Conceding the game to yourself! LOL Congrates on your wifey! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Steve Lipsky
05-29-2003, 08:26 AM
Conceding the 9 also brings up another problem. Exactly how easy does a shot have to be for it to be conceded? I have seen two pro-level shooters play where it looked like they were both giving each other the 8-ball. I didn't see one 9-ball shot the whole set. It sometimes gets quite silly.

I also want to point out that the rules should not be abused. Some earlier poster mentioned a story about Shannon Daulton. In my opinion, this is a ridiculously cheap way to win a set. Parica did not concede the 9 in a way that would have sharked Daulton. He left the ball hanging, got mad and swatted it in. While I disagree with Parica's move, Daulton should not have been allowed to take the set because of this. If I were the TD, I would cancel Parica's penalty by giving Daulton an unsportmanlike foul (trying to win in such a cheap fashion), and let them play the hill-hill game.

- Steve

cuechick
05-29-2003, 08:54 AM
I do not like it either, a lot of the tournaments I play in do not allow concessions , so I think it is a bad habit to get into. I prefer to play it out, I will take it a concession if it's offered but I'd prefer to finish.
I played Johnny Archer in a TK tournamnent and made him shoot EVERY 9 ball. I watched other people he played conceed every 9, I figured the ONLY chance I had of winning A game (no silly fantsy of beating him, just wanted to win 1) was if he missed, and the only way that would happen is if he is shooting!
Once in awhile if an opponant in a practice game makes an incrediable shot to get perfect on the 9 and it is an easy 9 (this happend to me in a money game yesterday) I may conceed.

The thing is, I do think it becomes a shark move, you are then telling your opponant what you think they are capable of missing, when you don't concede a shot.

ArtMetcalf
05-29-2003, 12:17 PM
I was at the Daulton - Parica match, and believe me, a lot of people were not happy about that outcome at all. In our local tournament, there is no penalty for conceding the 9 ball. I remember that Johnny Archer threw the towel in against Tommy Kennedy in the U.S. Open one year, and the towel hit the table while Kennedy was shooting at the 9 ball. I concede the nine all the time, and I see nothing wrong with it, and I beleive it speeds up the inevitable.

DoomCue
05-30-2003, 10:06 AM
I was at the tournament also, and it was 10-ball, not 9-ball. But yes, Parica was assessed a penalty for giving up the 10. Ralf Souquet went on to win that tournament, beating Daulton in the final. It was the Charlotte 10-ball Open, part of the now defunct CPBT, October 2000. (And why do I know these details? Watching the tournament was the first date for my wife and me.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif)

"...Money won is twice as sweet as money earned." - Fast Eddie Felsen, The Color of Money