PDA

View Full Version : Controlling the 1 on the break

UTAddb
05-28-2003, 11:28 AM
In 9 ball, I break from the side with a rail bridge. I can keep the CB in the middle of the table pretty consistently, but the 1 constantly ends up in the middle of the head rail instead of in the side or in or near the corner pocket. This is what's happening: START(
%AO0O6%BL7P8%CJ5O4%DL7N1%EM7P1%FK6P1%GK6N8%HM7N8%I L7O4%Pg7F5
%U]5Z7%VN8O7%Wp5P2%X^1[3%[P4O5%\g6F7%]W4O7%^N9O2
)END
what I want to happen:START(
%AN8O7%BL7P8%CJ5O4%DL7N1%EM7P1%FK6P1%GK6N8%HM7N8%I L7O4%Pg7F5
%UZ8Z5%VN8O7%[P4O5%\g6F7%]W4O7%^N9O2%_W5Z6%`T6W2%aO0P2%bo8F8
%ca6R4%dW9[3
)END
Any suggestions?
wei pooltable (http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2.html)

DSAPOLIS
05-28-2003, 02:42 PM
Breaking to Win (http://www.azbilliards.com/blackjack/blackjack8.cfm)

At this link I have a digram and instructions on how to control the one ball and the cue ball. From your diagram, you are not close enough to the rail. The closer you are to the rail, the more chance you have of having the one go towards the side pocket.

Good Luck

UWPoolGod
05-28-2003, 03:09 PM
Speed and english factors also make the one ball head up and down the side rail, work on it until you find the right combination

nAz
05-28-2003, 03:35 PM
DSAPOLIS I have been breaking the way you described in the article (For me left side rail, I'm right handed)over the last two weeks and the result is i would make the 1b in the side or have it bank to the same corner pocket I broke from about 40-50% of the time. I also notice that I got good ball movement without having to hit is so hard. However I notice I have not made the 9B very often from this position on the break, I seem to make it more from about 5 In. to the right of the head spot.
anyway thanks for the link it has cleared up a few things i was wondering about, can't wait to get to a table now /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Scott Lee
05-28-2003, 03:36 PM
Daxid...Great description! One thing missing (and I'm sure it's in other parts of the book), but it needs to be here...and that's the pre-shot routine. In order to accurately stroke through the CB, so that you can accurately hit the 1-ball, you must have a definitive routine, with a pause, and a slow backswing. I find that flaws in people's stroke (usually timing), no matter how soft or hard they break, have more to do with how well they do or don't execute the breakshot. BTW, just so you know, you have a word missing in the beginning of the second paragraph. Very nice article! I agreed with everything there! If you listened to me teaching Roy at Click's last month, you heard me telling him that a 20 mph break (or 4-rail speed) is plenty for a solid break! But even that much speed (without the pre-shot routine, and the correct timing), will give spotty results. It has to be a total package for the optimum reaction! Keep it simple!

Scott Lee

jjinfla
05-29-2003, 08:10 AM
One point to keep in mind when watching the girls play on TV and they are using the Sardo rack they are racking with the 9 ball on the spot. Much easier for the 1 to go in the side. Jake

eg8r
05-29-2003, 09:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> Daxid...Great description! One thing missing (and I'm sure it's in other parts of the book), but it needs to be here...and that's the pre-shot routine. <hr /></blockquote> Scott, I have had nightmares after hearing "pre-shot routine". /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif If there is one thing I consistently do not do, it would be the same pre-shot routine everytime. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

eg8r

Scott Lee
05-29-2003, 09:08 PM
Ed...If there is one thing that will keep you from being more consistent, it is the lack of preparing to shoot EXACTLY the same way on EVERY shot, no matter whether it is easy or difficult! LOL Hope the tape is helping you! I sure enjoyed our time together, and look forward to seeing you again...but next time, down in FL, as I see you are making plans to move back east! LOL Say hi to Les for me,
as well as your lovely wife!

Scott

ceebee
06-02-2003, 09:14 PM
&lt;&lt;If there is one thing that will keep you from being more consistent, it is the lack of preparing to shoot EXACTLY the same way on EVERY shot, no matter whether it is easy or difficult!&gt;&gt;

Repetition is the key factor in learning that Pre-Shot routine. Repetition is the vehicle that humans use for learning precision motor skills.