PDA

View Full Version : Stack leather Vs. leather wrap

nAz
05-29-2003, 12:28 PM
I am thinking of changing my Linen wrap to leather and want to know if there is any major difference between a stack leather wrap and plain leather.
I like the way stack leather looks but not sure of the feel as i have not held a cue with this type of wrap.
any opinions?

Cueless Joey
05-29-2003, 02:20 PM
Nothing beats a smooth leather imo.
Stacked leather is for baseball bats or golf club. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Not pool cue.
I had mine leathered by Zylr. I wouldn't want anything else.

John G
05-29-2003, 02:33 PM
Personally I like the feel of the stack leather but as Joey said,It's a different feel. The stack has a different texture, it's more course no matter how much burnish it. It will never be as smooth as 1 piece of leather. You really should try them both before you get it done. It's to expensive to be unhappy with the result. Good Luck

John G

Fred Agnir
05-29-2003, 02:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote John G:</font><hr> It's to expensive to be unhappy with the result. <hr /></blockquote>That's such a good quote that I'm going to have to steal it and claim it as my own.

Fred &lt;~~~ thief

Scott Lee
05-29-2003, 07:17 PM
The biggest difference is in the ease of application. A full leather wrap is not easy to apply, even for an expert cuemaker. There are literally hundreds of cuemakers, but only a few who can do a good leather wrap. The Stacked Leather Wrap is a great product, and can dramatically change the way your cue looks. The leather strips wrap onto the cue right over the linen or wood, and imo, are striking. If you were going to do it, I'd have the Tiger guys do it for you! It's their product, and they are excellent at applying it. I had them put one on a brand new Samsara cue, last summer in New Orleans at the trade show, and the cue was a knockout with the stacked leather wrap! JMO

Scott Lee

nAz
05-30-2003, 09:31 AM
That is a fine post. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

nAz
05-30-2003, 09:34 AM
I shot with a cue that had Stack leather last night and i did like the feel of it, I think i may go with Stack I got a price from my cue maker on the plain leather he quoted me @$40 on the stack he said he eould get back to me. anyone know the going rate?

pooldaddy9
05-30-2003, 11:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> he quoted me @$40 on the stack he said he eould get back to me. anyone know the going rate?
<hr /></blockquote>That sounds like a real good price. The going rate around here starts at 80.00 for the leather. Twice as much as Irish Linen.

John G
05-30-2003, 03:17 PM
If indeed the guy is going to only charge you $40.00. You really need to look at some of his work. Although stack appears to be easy to do it is NOT easy to do well. by that I mean finishing the ends and ending up with a smooth wrap. It takes some experience doing them to get them right. I know I've done many and do them quite well ( and no I'm not fishing for business). And by the way if there is some reason that you find it necessary to be rude to me or ignore my posts, please explain that to me. Just trying to be helpful.
Regards John G /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

SpiderMan
05-31-2003, 07:10 PM
Stack will probably run you between $100 and $150. The only explanation I can imagine for that price is that the Tiger folks might be charging a high price for the raw material. After watching several stack wraps applied at a trade show, I personally feel that it is harder to get a one-piece leather wrap to come out good. With a one-piece, you have to get the ends right, the seam right, and of course you have very little leeway on the thickness versus depth of cut. With the stack, the only hard part would be finishing the ends. Since it's spiral there is no telltale seam, and the thickness isn't critical because you turn it down.

SpiderMan

nAz
05-31-2003, 11:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote John G:</font><hr> If indeed the guy is going to only charge you $40.00. You really need to look at some of his work. Although stack appears to be easy to do it is NOT easy to do well. by that I mean finishing the ends and ending up with a smooth wrap. It takes some experience doing them to get them right. I know I've done many and do them quite well ( and no I'm not fishing for business). And by the way if there is some reason that you find it necessary to be rude to me or ignore my posts, please explain that to me. Just trying to be helpful.
Regards John G /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I'm sorry I was not ignoring you, I quoted Fred on your post stating it was a fine post. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Anyway I did take your advice and shot with a cue that had a Stack leather grip, and i do like it and probably will get it done in that material. I just need to get a quote from my cue maker,I figured I go with him since he originally made the cue for me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Oh BTW its $40 on a regular leather grip and I have seen his leather work on other cus, the ends are neat and the seams are tight, But I do not know how well he works with Stack leather. Maybe I should go with Tiger like Scott Lee mentioned above.

Naz

John G
06-01-2003, 09:55 AM
I wouldn't unnecessarily send a cue across the country. Check the guys work out first. If this fellow is good with reg leather and gets good seams, he may be good with stack. Spidey's kind of right in that because it's a spiral it goes on fairly easy.( /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif sorry to have to disagree with you on this Spidey) But just like a regular wrap it has to go on tight or you will see low spots between the spirals. Also unlike reg wrap it's more difficult to get flush ends without damaging the finish. He has to be good with a knife. It also has to finished to the correct grit or the texture will be poor.

I think it's always better to get anything done local from someone you know if you can. The price was what raised the red flag with me, the last thing you want is a guy learning how to put stack on your personal cue. Bad things can happen. Since he does reg leather for 40.00 maybe he's just inexpensive and maybe he does very good work. On the other hand Scott's right the guys at Tiger do excellent work.

It wont cost you any thing to check the guy out. It was just a word of caution. I think you'll enjoy playing with Stack. Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide. John G

nAz
06-01-2003, 02:15 PM
He normally charges $70 for the leather wrap but im getting a steep discount /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif if i go with plain leather.

John G
06-01-2003, 09:31 PM
Even $70.00 is very reasonable That pretty darn nice of him to knock it down to $40.00 . Does he do a lot of stack? Is it popular where you play? I like the feel of it. I guess that's what's nice about having choices. Take care, John G /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

nAz
06-02-2003, 07:06 AM
I just found out he does not do stack leather.
he recommended i go with Tiger, I do not want to spend $100-150 like spiderman said, so i think that i may just go with a plain leather wrap that should still look good.
and no where I normally play I have not seen anyone with stack except for one guy who has it, and it came originally with the cue.