PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have any advice regarding Moori tips?

Sparky
05-29-2003, 03:36 PM
I just got a Moori tip. I have not put it on my shaft yet. Anyone know anything about Moori tips? I hear they are one of the best made.

tateuts
05-29-2003, 04:00 PM
I think Moori's are the best of the laminated tips. Several things about them - be sure to glue the right side down. Shaping a Moori is super important. I use one of those manual sanding tubes and file at a 45 degree angle using only a downward stroke. This will prevent de-lamination. I put more of a dime shape on mine. Because the tips are compressed and the edges are very firm, a flat tip won't grab - there's no give - so it's really important to keep checking the shape and to keep it round. Although the tips don't mushroom much, you will probably have to burnish and trim or sand the sides once after some use. Once it's shaped, Moori's require very little maintainence except for occasional shaping when the tip starts to go flat. I think you'll be happy with the Moori and it should last a long time.

Regards,

Chris

Sparky
05-29-2003, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the info Chris. I appreciate it. I probably will not replace my Le Pro tip on my Lucasi shaft until it is worn down. It might be awhile.

Erik

pooldaddy9
05-29-2003, 06:26 PM
They are good tips but for the money, I had rather use a triangle.

UTAddb
05-29-2003, 08:12 PM
They play awesome but they're overpriced and can't hold chalk.

Candyman
05-29-2003, 09:54 PM
You really need replies from some of our Pooh-Bah's, but here is my $.02's. Unless you are experienced in tip repair, you need to take it to a pro shop. The Moori Tip needs to be shaped in a lathe. If you use sand paper on it, you are asking for trouble. This could cause de-lamination. Buy yourself a good tip pik and you shouldn't have any trouble holding chalk. Unless you shoot extremely hard, the tip should hold its shape well. After shooting for a month or so, you may want to take it back to your tip man and have it touched up. I was shooting with a LePro before I switched to a Moori and to me the reaction of the cb when using English was very noticeable. It took me a couple of weeks to get use to the change. I personally think it is a great tip and holds up really well. As far as which tip is best, who knows. Tips are very subjective. What is good for one player might suck for another. These are preference issues. I still have cues with LePros and Talismans and like them all. I just happen to be more use to the Moori.

Lock

Sparky
05-30-2003, 01:17 AM
I can get the Moori tips online for $7.50 each at http://store.yahoo.com/barringercustomcues/genmoortipja.html. That is a pretty good deal. They usually run $30-$40 each.

Sparky
05-30-2003, 01:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Candyman:</font><hr> You really need replies from some of our Pooh-Bah's, but here is my $.02's. Unless you are experienced in tip repair, you need to take it to a pro shop. The Moori Tip needs to be shaped in a lathe. If you use sand paper on it, you are asking for trouble. This could cause de-lamination. Buy yourself a good tip pik and you shouldn't have any trouble holding chalk. Unless you shoot extremely hard, the tip should hold its shape well. After shooting for a month or so, you may want to take it back to your tip man and have it touched up. I was shooting with a LePro before I switched to a Moori and to me the reaction of the cb when using English was very noticeable. It took me a couple of weeks to get use to the change. I personally think it is a great tip and holds up really well. As far as which tip is best, who knows. Tips are very subjective. What is good for one player might suck for another. These are preference issues. I still have cues with LePros and Talismans and like them all. I just happen to be more use to the Moori.

Lock <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks for the advice! I plan to try to put the tip on myself, but I may have someone else do it. What is the best way to shape it? I do not want to de-laminate it. I have a Tip Pik already. That is the only thing I use on the tip. Right now I am shooting with a LePro tip on my Lucasi shaft. It seems as though most production cues come with LePro tips. At least that is what I have noticed. They seem to be pretty good tips.

pooltchr
05-30-2003, 06:41 AM
I used to use Le Pro tips on about 80% of the tip jobs I did. Lately, I have had several that after getting them set and started shaping them, they lost their shape completely. I end up cutting those off and starting over. I probably throw away 4 or 5 Le Pros every week. They just don't seem to have the consistancy. Triangles and WB are now what I use on the majority of jobs. (I use the WB personally) As for the Moori tips, they really are best put on with a lathe. They are very difficult to shape the first time. Once you get it right, they are great, but getting them there is challenging. I would let your local repair person do the job for you.

Clarky
05-30-2003, 07:10 AM
It is better to use a scuffer on a layered tip rather than a tip-pik. With layered tips using a tip-pik is like punching little tiny holes in pieces of paper. As you know the paper would get weaker and eventually break down with many holes in it. The same goes for a layered tip when using a tip-pik. It will take some time to break down, but to truly get the optimal life from a layered tip, better to use a scuffer than a tip-pik to make it hold chalk.