PDA

View Full Version : Grady's nine ball rules

Popcorn
05-29-2003, 03:46 PM
I kind of like them. Does the last rule mean you can't combo the nine?

GRADY’S NINE BALL RULES

It’s call shot but it is not necessary to call obvious shots.

Only one ball may be called on one shot.

If the called ball is pocketed legally, everything else that might go is good.

If a player misses a called shot, his opponent has the option of taking the shot or having his opponent shoot again.

Nothing spots up except the 9 ball.

If a player calls “safe” and inadvertently pockets a ball(s), his opponent has the option of taking the shot or having his opponent shoot again.

A player may not call safe and pocket a ball.

While this is not a foul, remember that the opponent will have “option”.

Players rack their own balls.

They may also have a friend rack the balls for them.

An opponent may not rack the balls.

The nine ball must be pocketed last to win the game.

Where not mentioned herein the general rules of pocket billiards shall apply.

MAIN

Tom_In_Cincy
05-29-2003, 03:59 PM
9 ball must be pocketed LAST.. I gather that means NO combos. If it is pocketed while making another shot, the 9 ball just gets spotted.

I like these rules also..

tateuts
05-29-2003, 04:44 PM
<font color="blue"> </font color> Here are the rules I don't like:

"If a player misses a called shot, his opponent has the option of taking the shot or having his opponent shoot again. "

<font color="blue"> </font color> Spectacular and difficult shots are an intregal part of nine-ball. This would discourage the risky, spectacular shots that make nine-ball fun.

" If a player calls “safe” and inadvertently pockets a ball(s), his opponent has the option of taking the shot or having his opponent shoot again."

<font color="blue"> </font color> See above - safes would not need to be called, however, even if they were this seems like a strange rule to me.

" A player may not call safe and pocket a ball."

<font color="blue"> </font color> This is just good strategy at times, like when the nine ball is hanging in the hole and you are hopelessly hooked.

"The nine ball must be pocketed last to win the game."

<font color="blue"> </font color> Which takes caroms and combinations out of the game. No fun!

The reason why I don't like these rules is because there is definitely a skill involved at attempting difficult shots which will still leave an opponent hooked or in difficult position if missed. I also think it discourages the spectacular, freewheeling shots 9 ball is known for. It discourages 9 ball combo's and caroms - again, an intregal part of the game. The notion that a ball is inadvertantly pocketed on a safety negates the safety at your opponent's discretion makes no sense to me at all. I guess I like two ideas here 1) Call shot nine-ball and 2) Rack them yourself.

Sheesh, may as well play one-pocket.

Regards,

Chris

L.S. Dennis
05-29-2003, 07:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> I kind of like them. Does the last rule mean you can't combo the nine?

Popcorn,

I had the same question and e-mailed Grady about it. His response was that if the nine is made as a result of a combo or a billiard then the nine spots up and the shooter keeps on shooting.

These are great rules I play with them constantly!

Here's Grady's rules from Grady!

Grady's 9 Ball Rules
01/30/03 10:17 AM Edit Reply Quote

I have had seven tournaments using these rules. The games were not slowed down and more than 90% of the players loved the rules.
One year at the US Open 9-Ball a vote was taken among the 99 players in attendance. 98 of them voted for my rules and everything went very smoothly.
Mike Sigel, Wade Crane, Nick Varner, and I, at the behest of the then MPBA, were commissioned to come up with the best rules. We worked independently of each other, yet with only minor differences we came up with pretty much the same rules. They were never used.
I think it's disgraceful for a player to miss a ball badly and win a game or a match because of it. My rules will again be used at our Senior tournament in Naples, Florida in June.
If anybody wants to see how they work in real tournament play my back pocket 9 ball tournament and the senior event that I had in Portland, Maine featured these rules. Accu-Stats has tapes from these tournaments. Without further ado, here they are:

It's call shot but it is not necessary to call obvious shots.
Only one ball may be called on one shot.
If the called ball is pocketed legally, everything else that might go is good.
If a plyer misses a called shot, his opponent has the option of taking the shot or having his opponent shoot again.
Nothing spots up except the 9 ball.
If a player calls "safe" and inadvertently pockets a ball(s), his opponent has the option of taking the shot or having his opponent shoot again.
A player may not call safe and pocket a ball.
While this is not a foul, remember that the opponent will have "option".
Players rack their own balls.
They may also have a friend rack the balls for them.
An opponent may not rack the balls.
The nine ball must be pocketed last to win the game.
Where not mentioned herein the general rules of pocket billiards shall apply.

thepoolnerd
05-29-2003, 08:12 PM
These rules better insure that the stronger player wins. The only downfall is the elimination of the two way shot.

Ralph S.
05-30-2003, 12:22 AM
Personally, I havent really decided which rules I like best. I usually play by TE rules as that is what most people are familiar with, but I do like some of the things about Grady's rules. Geuss I will have to give it some more thought. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

q4summit
05-30-2003, 12:23 AM
The only rule I dislike is the player must rack his or her own balls.

If I win I want the loser to rack them for me. Plain and simple.

Marc

05-30-2003, 07:12 AM
Not sure how I like those rules. Always thought 9 ball was an interesting contrast -- a run-and-gun offensive game that requires precise position play. And the luck factor, hopefully, works out in the course of a longer set. It's kind of like baseball, in a way ... in a single race you're likely to have a 1-0 shutout, a 9-8 back-and-forth battle of attrition, and a game decided by a walk-off home run. Think it's more interesting that way, though I can understand why top players might find this agonizing.

Popcorn
05-30-2003, 07:33 AM
The one thing I would like to see added would be to "win by two". I don't like the hill hill game. Although Grady has taken out much of the luck that makes the hill hill game so deadly, you know, a nine on the break or a quick combo. But still it would add one more legitimate aspect to the game. With win by two you can play a shorter race if need be. If the game is a blow-out, so be it. If it is a real contest, then you have an even more exciting match. I would definitely do it for a final. The win by two is neat. I used to play a guy that liked to play race to three, win by two. Sometimes the final score would be 3 to 0 or 1 and some times the final score may be 14 to 12.

05-30-2003, 07:53 AM
That's a great idea, win by 2, just like in tennis. Well, everywhere but the U.S. Open, where we must be hooked on instant gratification, maybe. Although tiebreakers are used beforehand, in tennis' equivalent of the hill-hill game -- the fifth set in a major tournament -- you play it out, win by 2. Everywhere but Flushing Meadows, that is.

Designed to compensate for the overwhelming advantage of serve ... but the break is almost as big an advantage (though not in my games /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif).

L.S. Dennis
05-30-2003, 07:34 PM
There's been some talk of possible holding a tournament up here in northern California using these rules. I sure hope it comes to pass, I'm sure once played with most serious players will see the beauty in these rules!!!