PDA

View Full Version : Balance

bott1637
05-29-2003, 07:46 PM
I have seen a lot of threads about buying a cue discussing the balance. Where does a cue have to balance to be considered front balanced, and so on for mid and rear balance. Also is it just a feel thing or does it have anything to do with the hit of the cue.

smfsrca
05-30-2003, 11:50 AM
This is a really good question and I am surprised there hasn't been more response to it. I can't find anything in the literature regarding the balance point. There should be more done on this. I think it is important. A cue with a balance point forward, say, 21" from the butt cap edge, feels significantly different then one that is back at say 18". I think the balance point should be further back, closer to your grip. I prefer 18". I have heard someone say the furthest you can practically go back is 17".
Steve in CA

Fred Agnir
05-30-2003, 12:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bott1637:</font><hr> I have seen a lot of threads about buying a cue discussing the balance. Where does a cue have to balance to be considered front balanced, and so on for mid and rear balance. Also is it just a feel thing or does it have anything to do with the hit of the cue. <hr /></blockquote>I think this is a great question because I've seen a slew of posts where people say "forward balance" or "rear balance," but their definition doesn't match what other's definition might be.

Note: it definitely is a feel thing. But "hit" is mostly about how the cue feels.

I do know that compared side by side, one of my cue's (Cuetec) balance point is about 1" more forward compared to all the others on average. And that 1" makes a HUGE difference. I've shot with other people's Cuetecs, and theirs weren't balanced like mine. Lucky me.

Checking previous posts, my Cuetec is 57 15/16" from cap to ferrule, with the balance point at 19 1/4" from the butt cap.

All of my other cues except my Predator BK has a balance point of around 18" from the butt cap (all nearly 58" in length). That includes both of my Meucci cues.

Fred

Cueless Joey
05-30-2003, 12:21 PM
18 from the bottom is common.
18 1/2 and over are considered forward in my books.
Anything less than 18 means there's too much weight bolt at the bottom of the cue. What people often overlook though is the weight of the shaft. Some shafts with inserts are heavy thus making the cue forward weighted.
The hit of the cue really has nothing to do with balance. But cues with too much weight added, cheap wood stock, air gaps and poor construction would have dead hit.

05-30-2003, 02:35 PM

Rod
05-30-2003, 03:43 PM
I like the weight forward also. I don't know the number considered front, middle or rear. I would think the joint material has to be considered in reference to any weight added. My Schön is 18 3/4" and the Joss at 19". My break cue is at 17 3/4" however it is near an ounce lighter.

To me it makes sense a forward cue goes straight easier. The bulk of the weight is between you hands. That is opposed to a weight dangling out on the end per-say. A poor comparison might be a weight bar balanced and hanging between both hands, say 3 feet apart. Now move one hand inside, that extra weight to the outside gets more unmanageable. To much weight in the back hand may have a similar effect. I'd never really thought about it before. One thing I have found is too much forward weight makes a cue feel joint heavy. I'm thinking of some Schmelke or Kmart specials with a heavy brass joint. It puts more weight on the bridge and it's not a feel I like.

Rod

John G
05-30-2003, 09:45 PM
Balance is a feeling, a well balanced cue shouldn't feel butt heavy or front heavy. It will feel lite in your hands. personally I balance my cues 18 1/2- 19 in from the end of the butt. I also make my cue standard 59 inches long. In most cases I do this naturally without the introduction of a weight screw. The only metal I want in my cues, is the pin.

The "hit" refers to many things but when you shake it all out, it boils down to one thing. Vibration, you don't want vibration. You want it to feel solid. Some of the things that can affect this are, how the ferrule is attached, joint design, pin length, How the forearm is attached to the handle. How the butt sleeve and butt cap are attached. Hope this helps

HalSmith
05-31-2003, 06:59 AM
I think the balance of a cue would be towards the rear if you use alot of open bridge, by resting the cue between you thumband index finger, you would want more weight forward to let the shaft stay down . If you use alot of bridges with your index finger wraped around the cue I would think you wouls want the balance point to be just forward of the middle of wrap.---Smitty

John G
06-01-2003, 10:11 AM
Interesting,I've always felt the opposite. The weight in the butt will make it easier for the front end to rise with an open bridge. Particularly with a rail shot. A foward weighted cue has a natural tendency to stay down thru the stroke.

As a matter of interest why do you feel the weight in the butt is better with an open bridge. Not meant to be arguementative, just curious. Regards John G

AndyG
06-03-2003, 09:36 AM
Rod, I agree with the slight forward weighting. I've been playing with a Runde for about 2 yars, and Bob has the same philosophy. It did take a little time to adjust from my previous cue, a Gus Szamboti with the weight slightly rearward. I played with that cue for 16 years, and never thought I'd like another cue as well. But I really believe I play better with the Runde. The Szam now lives in a Fellini case in a safe.
AndyG