PDA

View Full Version : let's talk about chalk

robeyeshua
05-29-2003, 08:33 PM
which chalk is the best ?
&
which chalk is the one with the clover on it?
this is the one i grew up playing with.
where can you buy it?

Sparky
05-30-2003, 01:54 AM
I would recommend Master or Silver Cup chalk.

Please visit my pool site at http://www.geocities.com/cutemiguy1972/pool.html

Have fun!
Erik

pooldaddy9
05-30-2003, 04:14 AM
I like Master chalk.

Deeman
05-30-2003, 06:48 AM
Very few products today are perfect. I find Masters to be one that certainly comes close. I have used it exclusively for 40 years and have never been disappointed. Thta's hard to say about anything now days!

Dee

Yuppie
05-30-2003, 07:09 AM
Is chalk really all that different? I figured that if it coats the tip, its all the same. At the hall I frequent, they use chalk with an elk on it. I guess that's Master chalk. I guess if that's the best, I must be lucky that our hall uses it.

pooltchr
05-30-2003, 07:09 AM
The Master blue is certainly the most popular. I like NTC green. It's softer than Master and I seem to have to replace it more often, but it coats the tip nicely. These are the only two I use.

Predator314
05-30-2003, 07:11 AM
I like Master chalk the best. Silver Cup would come in second.

05-30-2003, 07:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Yuppie:</font><hr> Is chalk really all that different? I figured that if it coats the tip, its all the same.<hr /></blockquote>Actually, chalk from different manufacturers can be quite different. In fact, sometimes different *color* chalks from the same manufacturer have been known to be different, although that seems to be less the case today than it used to be.

Chalk varies in texture and consistency. Some hard, some very soft. I used to favor Triangle chalk, as it was soft and went on pretty thick and easily -- it was hard to miscue with Triangle, you didn't even have to look at your tip to put it on, but the cloth, shaft, hands, clothes, etc. gets dirty quick with a soft chalk like that. Plus it doesn't last as long. I've since gone back to Master's Green, which is a bit hard but IMHO is the best compromise -- you have to watch your tip and work with it a bit to get a good even coat, but it stays on better than a softer chalk.

I've never used Silver Cup myself, but having seen it as the "official" chalk of most of the televised matches, I asked around about it. The majority of replies indicated that it was junk, far inferior to Masters.

Predator314
05-30-2003, 08:13 AM
I always thought Silver Cup was a cheap, inferior chalk until I tried it. It's pretty good stuff. You just don't see it much. NTC on the other hand...bah!

Tom_In_Cincy
05-30-2003, 04:37 PM
Tap,,Tap,,Tap.

Masters is the "Best"
Been using it exclusively for 38 years.
I got a case (gross 144 pieces in the early 90s) and have been keeping some in my case all these years. Really comes in handy when there isn't any chalk at all, or where the is only "off" brands.

Nightstalker
05-30-2003, 05:20 PM
I use Masters and Silver Cup and find that Masters is softer. Silver Cups is ok, a little harder, and as such it lasts a little longer. My preference between the two is Masters because its easier to get enough chalk on the tip.

snipershot
05-30-2003, 07:07 PM
I've never used anything other than masters before, everybody I've talked to about chalk has agreed Masters is the best out there.

Brent
05-31-2003, 06:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote snipershot:</font><hr> I've never used anything other than masters before, everybody I've talked to about chalk has agreed Masters is the best out there. <hr /></blockquote>

Same here.

Fred Agnir
05-31-2003, 07:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote robeyeshua:</font><hr> which chalk is the best ? <hr /></blockquote>Pay no attention to these yahoos. Chalk is chalk. As long as it's MASTERS <font color="blue">BLUE</font color>, BABY!!!!!

Fred

Ralph S.
05-31-2003, 07:32 AM
Masters chalk all the way. I hate the red, will use the blue in a pinch, but prefer the green. It has to be masters though.

cycopath
05-31-2003, 06:58 PM
I'm sorry but everytime I see this thread I think of Salt N Pepa...

"Let's talk about 'CHALK' ba-by
let's talk about you and me
let's talk about all the good things
and all the bad things that may-be."

Just to protect my respectability I had to look up the lyrics online. Thanks for indulging my retarded post.

Mr Ingrate
05-31-2003, 07:25 PM
Master blue of course, however; no matter the brand of chalk there are certain idiosyncracies associated with the use of chalk that should be outlawed.

1. Leaving chalk face down on the rail should be an automatic foul and tapping chalk on the rail when in a face down position should be a loss of game.

2. When you leave the table don't take the damn chalk with you.

And ... don't get me started on those idiots that leave the white hand chalk/powder all over the table.

Lanny
06-01-2003, 06:40 AM
McDermott makes a really smooth chalk,I've got several of my friends hooked on it.Master has a kind of gritty/grainy feel.
The chalk with the clover leaf is Club chalk,it's available at Steepleton's.

hadenball
06-01-2003, 07:04 AM
I was asking someone the other day if there was ever a triangle chalk and now I know I wasn't crazy. Seems like triangle disappeared then silver cup came out, any connection?Anyone? I did try all 3 20 years ago and hated ntc chalk, triangle was pretty good but masters was far better IMHO. Haden

06-01-2003, 07:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote hadenball:</font><hr> I was asking someone the other day if there was ever a triangle chalk and now I know I wasn't crazy. Seems like triangle disappeared then silver cup came out, any connection?Anyone? I did try all 3 20 years ago and hated ntc chalk, triangle was pretty good but masters was far better IMHO. Haden <hr /></blockquote>Triangle chalk is still alive and well. I just bought a box a few months ago, before I settled back on Masters Green. Billiard Fanatic still sells it for $2.95 a box (Click Here (http://www.billiardfanatic.com/product.asp?intProdID=699&amp;ProdLine=Triangle+Chalk&amp; strCatalog_Name=Triangle+Chalk&amp;DPT=6&amp;page=1&amp;PullDo wn=0)) in 4 colors.

NTC chalk, on the other hand, was going out of production from what I heard or read somewhere.

Fred Agnir
06-01-2003, 08:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote hadenball:</font><hr> I was asking someone the other day if there was ever a triangle chalk and now I know I wasn't crazy. <hr /></blockquote> Where's the proof you're not crazy??? j/k

FWIW, here's a post I made on RSB a little while back.

------------------

Newsgroups: rec.sport.billiard
Subject: Triangle Chalk - the answer
Date: 28 Jan 2002 07:28:44 -0800

About a year ago or so, it was said that someone else had said that Triangle Blue and Master Blue are exactly the same (except the label). Well, I just got off the phone with Skip (the technical dude) at Tweetens. He assures me that there is one more ingredient in Triangle that is supposed to make it more firm/hard than Master. That is, Master is supposed to be made softer than Triangle. And no, he wasn't ready to give up what that ingredient is. If I were to guess, I'd guess "tar."

He also confirms that all Master chalk is the same, save the pigment. My experience in plastics tells me that even if the resin is the same, a different pigment can have a profound effect on the final product from a performance POV. As others have reported, I also sense differences between Master Blue and, say, Master Green.

Fred &lt;~~~ can rest

06-01-2003, 09:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr>...Well, I just got off the phone with Skip (the technical dude) at Tweetens. He assures me that there is one more ingredient in Triangle that is supposed to make it more firm/hard than Master. That is, Master is supposed to be made softer than Triangle. <hr /></blockquote>Huh? Then I must be the one that's crazy. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Is this info perhaps new? I've used very little Triangle lately, but 12-15 years ago it's all I used. Back then, Triangle was softer than Masters, at least it seemed so to me. It went on easier, came off easier, and drills out quicker, than Masters. The box of Masters Green I've got right now is lasting far longer than the Triangle I used to buy.

c.holtz009
06-01-2003, 06:00 PM
I would have to agree with the majority here. I find Masters blue goes on, and holds up the best.
I've tried other brands, and they just don't seem the same.
On another note, a friend gave me a couple of Masters cubes which had an American flag on one side. I found them to be a bit grittier than the Masters without the flag. Am I just nuts, or could there be a slight difference?

Icon of Sin
06-01-2003, 06:15 PM
I usually buy my own chalk cause some of the places my apa league goes to leaves crap on the table with this big hole dug in it.

I used to use Tan/Brown Master Chalk. It seemed to be fine when I was using it, would leave some tan marks ont he cloth occasionally. After being harasses by my team to switch colors to blue (because it sticks better they said) I switched to Blue Master Chalk. I still play the same with the same cb control and such, but one thing I did notice is that the blue master chalk seems to last alot longer then the tan. I would go through 3 tan pieces around the same time as I would one blue peice (hope that makes sense).

Along the lines of playing though, all I use is Blue master now, but when i used different colors the only thing that I noticed is that blue seems to last longer. But playing seems to be the same. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

hadenball
06-02-2003, 04:18 AM
I know it and that's all I need!!!!! lol.
The proof is out there!!!!! haden

Ralph S.
06-02-2003, 06:49 AM
I have used the McDermtt brand chalk also. Won a package of it during door prize raffles at our league awards banquet. It is very good chalk IMO., but a little overpriced compared to masters.

Also won a nice Cuetec cue which i promptly sold the next week for 200 bucks /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif