PDA

View Full Version : Respecting The Shooter !

05-30-2003, 05:18 AM
am wondering after my last few nights at the ph, how many people respect the other player while their shooting.
Examples of what i mean by dis-respect:
Picking up the chalk while am shooting
Talking to me while am shooting
Staring me down while am shooting
and of all the ultimate worse to me, holding the chalk in your hand and you know i'll need it. damn that erks me.

So again, how many people actually respect or dis-respect the other player while their trying to play ?

eg8r
05-30-2003, 05:31 AM
I think I am respectful most of the time. If I do something dis-respectful, then it was done my mistake.

When I am not shooting I go back and sit in my chair. The people that I have been playing with do not mind chatting while they shoot, so I do talk while they are shooting, but try to be quiet right before they shoot. As far as chalk goes, I don't have a chance to be disrepectful. OPC and rackmup both have their own chalk and keep it with them at all times. I use what the house gave me with the balls. When I am done shooting, I just walk to my seat and complain bitterly about how bad a roll I just got, and how the table and the pool room hate me. (joking).

eg8r

bluewolf
05-30-2003, 06:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote muujahid:</font><hr>

Examples of what i mean by dis-respect:
Picking up the chalk while am shooting
Talking to me while am shooting
Staring me down while am shooting
and of all the ultimate worse to me, holding the chalk in your hand and you know i'll need it. damn that erks me.

<hr /></blockquote>

I did some of those things when I first played and had to be taught proper etiquette.

Now I stand way back from the shooter. Sometimes the chairs are more in their way than standing back.

I have my own chalk.

I do not talk to them while they are shooting. In fact, I cannot talk to my teamates, either, since the other team might call that a coaching.

Laura

Predator314
05-30-2003, 06:15 AM
I don't really respect all the players I shoot, but I am courteous. When I'm not shooting, I step away from the table and stay out of their line of sight.

Yuppie
05-30-2003, 07:24 AM
I find it absolutely amazing when I go to a bar or to my hall and people who don't normally shoot start playing. They are practically on the backs of their opponents watching their every move as they prepare to miss. Some people just fail to see the distract factor of standing over your opponent as they shoot. Those same people probably get really irritated when their opponent does it to them too.

A friend of mine told me the other night that these idiots actually pulled up chairs in between the tables to watch. Mind you, there is just enough space between the tables for you to step back and take your shot off the rail. I hope those guys got poked in the eye with someone's butt.

Another thing that happens all the time is, full grown adults who should know better, start whacking the wooden beads across the string. They try to see how fast and how hard they can slide those beads. Idiots!

I've got all kinds of etiquette/idiot stories.

Predator314
05-30-2003, 07:38 AM
One thing that burns me up and most pool hall owners is idiots that leave their cigarattes on the rails. I burnt my hand one time shooting against one of these idiots. He laid it there and forgot about it. I go to shoot and put my hand on the thing. I just picked the cigarette up and flipped it at him. He knew I was pissed.

9 Ball Girl
05-30-2003, 07:54 AM
I always try to be courteous and like eg8r said, if I ever do something "disrespectful", then it's by mistake. Unless of course I'm playing a fun match where sharking is the way to go. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif Like you, I also hate it when:

1. It's my turn and my opponent is still holding the chalk.
2. It's my turn and my opponent picks up the chalk to chalk his cue (wait your turn!)
3. If they walk away from the table only to ask what happened because they were not there
4. When the rack and/or bridge aren't where they belong
5. Talking to me throughout the game (friendly game I don't care, competitive then shut the @#$* up!)

There're probably some more I can't think of at the moment /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Wendy&lt;---got driven in to work today straight from the poolhall from last night!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

eg8r
05-30-2003, 08:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Wendy&lt;---got driven in to work today straight from the poolhall from last night!!! <hr /></blockquote> How do you do it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

Yuppie
05-30-2003, 08:09 AM
Oh! Here's another one, now that you mention racks being in the right place. At the hall I play, every table has a rack. Idiots on table 1 put their rack on the light above the table (there's also a hook below the table where the rack is SUPPOSED TO GO). Guy's on table 3 also have their rack on light above table. We're on table 2 in between both moron tables.

So I rack our balls and put the rack on the hook. Idiots on table 1 can't find their rack when they need it, so they just walk over to our table while we're playing and GRAB ours. No asking! They rack their balls and place rack on hook.

So we need to rack again. I walk over to their table and grab their rack from on top of the light making sure not to ask and that they see me do it. place rack on hook.

2 minutes later, idiots on table 3 do the exact same f*cking thing to us!

9 Ball Girl
05-30-2003, 08:16 AM
Yuppie!!!!!! THANK YOU for giving me the laugh of the day. OMG, my sides are splitting!

I just thought of another one. When I'm practicing alone or with someone on the house table and then whoever's working gives out the table right next to me eventhough there are like 15 other available tables. Sigh.

eg8r - How do I do it you ask? I don't know myself but I can tell you that right around 3PM I go into a zombie trance.

Candyman
05-30-2003, 08:48 AM
People are truly amazing. I had an opponent do all of the above things to distract me last week. He even came up to me when I was getting ready to shoot and ask me if he was bothering me. I stopped my pre-shot and asked him what he was talking about. He explained that he had been trying to rattle me and asked me if indeed it had. I told him that I had been focused and hadn't even noticed him. I explained that I had trained for many years in different forms and levels of meditation and distractions encouraged me to focus even better. He was totally miffed and very quite for the remainder of the evening, never realizing he had been had by a truly great BS'er.

nAz
05-30-2003, 09:29 AM
I have no respect for the shooter only for the table.
Let the other shooter get his own cue ball on a scratch /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Yuppie
05-30-2003, 09:32 AM
9BG -&gt; NP. Hey! What can I say? I try. I got lots of stories, just from hanging around idiots who act like they've never been outside before. Everything is a new experience for them.

Kato
05-30-2003, 09:59 AM
The other day I got squirrely on a 9-ball and a guy from another table walks right up to the table, leans against the rail and watches me address the ball. I stood up and asked him what the F*** he thought he was doing. He told me he wanted to see how I was planning on making the ball. I missed. He goes, tough shot bro. My head almost expoded.

Kato

05-30-2003, 10:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Candyman:</font><hr> I told him that I had been focused and hadn't even noticed him. I explained that I had trained for many years in different forms and levels of meditation and distractions encouraged me to focus even better. He was totally miffed and very quite for the remainder of the evening, never realizing he had been had by a truly great BS'er. <hr /></blockquote>

Quite amusing. I'd probably give him a piece of my mind and tell him where to place the cue stick. Not that I can't put up with crap from people, but I don't like purposeful disrespect. The only way I would waste my time playing someone with an attitude like that is if I was taking some money off of them.

Now as to chalk etiquette. Usually there will be a couple pieces on the table. If I miss, if my opponent does not go for one of the pieces of chalk I will take it before he/she sets so I can chalk my cue while sitting, then place it back after they shoot. I like to play at a good pace, and try to minimize time needed for preparation when I step up to the table. Anyway, I ordered some chalk with my new cue (I REALLY hope I get it today), so I'll probably just use that in the future.

However, I fullwell reserve the right to harass my younger brother when we're playing. =) I have to keep nagging him about keeping his cue level and stuff like that as he's much more of a newbie then I.

Is it 5 PM yet? I want to go shoot.

Hopster
05-30-2003, 10:07 AM
He goes, tough shot bro. My head almost expoded. &lt;--Kato

Now that was funny. Im surprised you didnt make his head explode.

Karatemom
05-30-2003, 10:53 AM
I treat my opponent as I would want to be treated. Of course, it doesn't always happen that way. I am a very respectful player (not to be confused with the way I will play at the CCB tourney, LOL). The only thing I do to "shark" my opponent is that I do stare them down. Most of the time, during play, I am watching the table and the shooter. If that bothers them, too bad. If I'm playing seriously, and they start talking to me, I either smile and ignore them, or will make a short comment, like yes or no. I don't like to be bothered when I shoot and expect the same from my opponent.

When they try, either purposely or by mistake, to shark me by talking, stealing the chalk, etc. I try to shoot as if they're not bothering me at all. That way, it upsets them than they're not upsetting me. Reverse psychology, I suppose.

Respect is part of this game, and the players that have none, don't deserve to hold a cue, IMO.

Heide

Kato
05-30-2003, 10:54 AM
I'm a non-violent, non-confrontational person by nature. A different time someone walked up to the table while I was playing in a tournament and began talking to my opponent. I walked back to my chair and sat down. The guy started walking to the table and asked if it was his turn. I politely told him (my opponent) that I'd asked him to sit down not once but twice which he didn't do and then his friend came up and got in my way. I then proceeded to order a beer and tell him I would not resume shooting until he and his friend went and sat down. He was completely bewildered. Finally I called the TD over and had him remove both the friend and the player. Very rude indeed.

Then again, ever try playing Rackmup? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif That's a different kind of shark move. I'm cool with it though.

Kato

Yuppie
05-30-2003, 11:00 AM
Every play someone who has his cell phone on and has no qualms about answering while playing either during his turn or otherwise? Talk about sharking!

Kato
05-30-2003, 11:42 AM
Yes but cell phones don't bother me as much as someone invading my space. What goes on in my opponents chair isn't important to me. I play against guys that are married and their wives do call. In tournaments I will set my phone to vibrate. Most others do the same because there are many rules about leaving ones cell on during a match.

Kato~~~realizes cell phones are a way of life.

eg8r
05-30-2003, 11:44 AM
I think just watching Rackmups stance is a shark move. He threw me off the first time I saw him shoot. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

snipershot
05-30-2003, 07:30 PM
I'm respectful to my opponent and expect the same in return, unless of course it's a friendly game. If my opponent is being rude or dis-respectful it just makes me want to win even more. I've played so many games with friends where they try to distract me or get in my head that I have become almost immune to anything else that goes on around me.

Chris

05-30-2003, 08:24 PM
ok,all good answers but here's why i asked.

last night i was playing 1p with a guy i've never seen before, now the guy wanted to gamble me, but when i told him that i dont gamble anymore he thought it was funny. Now we began to play 1p " no money ", and i can here other players around me saying that this guy could'nt beat me, apparently they knew of both our skill. so someone walks up to this guy and as loud as ever says i'll bet you $100.00 a game, and i like him (me), my mouth dropped at the guys response which pissed me off, but i had no idea what i was in for. Now the guy responds, " oh no problem, he still looks like young [censored] " man i was so pissed i wanted to smack'em with a house stick, but i keep my cool and did'nt respond. Anyway we start playing and all of the sudden this guy has his cigarette, cell phone, drink on the rail and then has the f-cking nerve to have all the chalk over at the table next to the stool, by this time i was so pissed i almost burst with anger, but i had to keep my cool, i just had to, again i did'nt say anything but i took all his property and put them on the table next to the stool. This guy had made me so mad i almost lost one game from distraction, eventually i started to focus and he quit after losing about 12 or $1300.00 and as he was paying the guy and breaking his cue down, he says to me i could have still beat you " SON ". Now am a grown ass man no one calls me son, that did it, i lost it. I dropped my stick on the table and walked up in face and told if he ever called me son again i'd beat him senseless, of course he giggle so i punched him dead in his mouth, and he tired to hit me back but i was to skilled for him to have a chance. eventually someone must have called the cops and i had to get harrassed about fighting and having a firearm on me.

you know for the first time last night i was ready to give up shooting pool, keep common respect and if you loose f-ck it you just loose.

Hopster
05-30-2003, 08:54 PM
Now am a grown ass man no one calls me son, that did it, i lost it. I dropped my stick on the table and walked up in face and told if he ever called me son again i'd beat him senseless, of course he giggle so i punched him dead in his mouth, and he tired to hit me back but i was to skilled for him to have a chance. &lt;---Muujahid

Good for you Muujahid !! You did right,the guy blew $1300 and got a good crack to boot. So long as you didnt get pinched, everything turned out right.

Candyman
05-30-2003, 09:16 PM
Muujahid, I think you just stood behind your beliefs. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif "Relax, breath, sight in &amp; fire"
I don't blame you. Lock

cycopath
05-31-2003, 06:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote muujahid:</font><hr>eventually someone must have called the cops and i had to get harrassed about fighting and having a firearm on me. <hr /></blockquote>You should have "popped a cap in his ass".
/ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Just kidding. Please don't hit me or shoot me. I'm glad he quit as the big loser. And I'm sure he won't be back for more anytime soon. Keep up the good work.

SPetty
05-31-2003, 06:46 PM
Hi muujahid,

Maybe I don't have enough testosterone, and maybe I'm just a little tired, but that whole thing just sounds stupid to me. You really shouldn't let that kind of stuff bother you if you're playing pool. Something that someone that you don't even know says shouldn't bother you that much. What do you care what he thinks about you? Why are you so concerned about the word "son"? Why should you even care? Geez, chill!

Like I said, I don't get it, but I don't think you should have punched the guy for being an [censored]. Don't let it happen again or you'll get a reputation as an [censored] idiot unless it's too late already. Someone calls you "son" and you totally lose control of your ability to be civil? You might want to examine yourself, son. A "grown ass man" doesn't punch another person just because he doesn't like what he says, son.

Maybe you should give up pool if you can't even be a good winner. You've got plenty of years to be an old fart - enjoy being a "young [censored]" for awhile. Geez.. this was just a stupid thing for you to do, you "grown ass man" you.

Just my opinion. Please don't hit me.

Fran Crimi
05-31-2003, 08:21 PM
Holy smokes, muujahid, didn't anyone ever teach you never to punch a fish? You couldn't puch a good player instead?

But seriously, I'm sorry to hear what happened. Sounds like you got yourself caught between two worlds. You were looking for a friendly game and you let yourself get caught up in a gambling match with an idiot.

You probably would have quit the guy if it weren't for the fact that there was money riding on the game which meant you gave up control of the situation. When you're not the one in control and things become unpleasant, it's going to make you angry because you're stuck where you don't want to be. It makes you feel like a trapped lion. Finally, when it was all over, you unleashed on the guy. I think that's because you didn't want to be in that situation in the first place.

Next time, don't let yourself be influenced by anyone else. If you don't want to gamble, then don't allow your opponent to side-bet either. And most of all, don't let anyone talk you into anything you don't want to do.

Fran

05-31-2003, 11:35 PM
muujahid, it sounds like you put that guy in his place. He deserved it, and I respect people who stand up for themselves and don't take sh*t.

I think someone that keeps pushing their luck like this guy did deserved what he got. He tested the line too many times and that's that. He probably won't act any better as a result though.

Just don't get arrested or charged with anything and it's fine. And don't get any blood on the tables.

hadenball
06-01-2003, 06:16 AM
It's kind of scary you had a firearm on you.Good thing it wasn't me cause I would have asked him if his husband played ( no offense to the ladies). Then when he said he could have still beat me I'd say something like oh ok so I guess the sun was in your eyes right? I might have been the one that got shot.lol. The nerve of some peoples kid's huh? The worse thing you can do to people like that is laugh at them!!!!!! Glad you didn't go to jail . Haden

hadenball
06-01-2003, 06:48 AM
Muujahid,
almost forgot about the chalk, I keep a box in my car and my wifes car. I play bar leagues and they rarely have chalk that haven't been drilled out so I have my own in my pocket.I never thought about someone moving the chalk as a sharking technique. I just developed the habit of always having the chalk in my hand when I'm walking around the table , then it goes back in my pocket. If this bothers you alot then eliminate the problem and carry your own chalk, give the opponent one less advantage. Haden

06-01-2003, 04:47 PM
yea it may sound stupid to you, but i was in a very bad positon to start off with and to have made it worse i was really being disrespected, Now i dont know about you but being disrespected and talked down to is something that i will NOT stand for. Am a man and i stand my ground no matter what so if am not disrespecting you then you have no right nor reason to do it to me, further more he got away with alot.

Now am glad that i did'nt end up in jail &amp; yes i could have probally handled it another way, but that's the way i felt it needed to be handled at the moment, and as for my rep, i dont have a bad rep at all am know as a good player and a very friendly person, but if you show the world or people your weak they'll take advantage of that, and then i will be in jail and i really dont want to be their since i can't shoot pool from behind bars.

that's all.
P.S being tired is no excuse not to stand up for your self.

TomBrooklyn
06-02-2003, 02:51 AM
When I beat a guy out of some dough, I usually present a sympathetic attitude towards them and I am glad if they think they can beat me, because I like everyone to be happy, and that means we can probably have more games in the future.

What pool room was this? Are there a lot of fights in there?