PDA

View Full Version : jump/break cue

bucktoothbandit
03-27-2002, 04:10 PM
just got my sledgehammer jump/break cue from Mike Gulyassy and it is amazing. you can actually jump balls when the cue is less than 1 inch from ball you are jumping. www.babysproshop.com (http://www.babysproshop.com)

Q-guy
03-27-2002, 09:34 PM
What kind of tip does it come with? I was told it had no tip at all, just a phenolic ferrule rounded at the top.

Rich R.
03-28-2002, 10:35 AM
You were told right Q-guy. I purchased a sledgehammer at Valley Forge. I had walked by several times during the weekend and spoke to the guys in the booth about them. I had seen them previously on <a target="_blank" href=http://www.billiardcue.com>www.billiardcue.com</a> . Finally, Sunday morning, I purchased one.
The tip and ferrule is all one piece of phenolic. Supposedly, Mike G. has received a patent on it.
As a break cue, it is alright. It seems there is no loss of energy because of the very hard tip. However, it does not hold chaulk well at all. You have to be very carefull when applying chaulk to insure good coverage.
I purchased the cue mainly for breaking, but I also am determined to learn how to jump balls. I just didn't want to invest in a jump only cue, like a bunjee or frog. The guys in Mike G.'s booth at VF were quick to tell everybody that Mike G. was able to teach his insurance man, a non-pool player, how to jump balls in five minutes.
I finally took the time to attempt jumping the other day. I am happy to say that, after only two misses, I jumped the cue ball over a full ball from about six inches away, for the first time in my life, and I was able to continue jumping a number of balls without a miss after that. Although I have to work on my accuracy, I am getting the cue ball up in the air and over a ball, and in most cases, getting a good hit on my object ball. I also pocketed one or two, but at this point, I would attribute that more to luck than skill.
With my limited experience in jumping balls, I can not say how this stick compares with other, jump only, sticks, but so far, I am relatively happy with its performance.
Rich R.~~~enjoys new toys and learning a new skills.

Pizza Bob
03-28-2002, 10:50 AM
Aren't we heading back toward the days of the "jump rod"? You remember those things that looked like knife sharpeners, metal, about 20" long, 19mm phenolic tips, that anybody could jump with? They were forthwith banned. Isn't there a BCA rule on tip composition that precludes the use of a phenolic tip? Just wondering where we're going with all this.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

03-28-2002, 11:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Pizza Bob:</font><hr> Isn't there a BCA rule on tip composition that precludes the use of a phenolic tip? Just wondering where we're going with all this.

Adios,

Pizza Bob <hr></blockquote>

obviously very illegal.

bca pool cue specs: "the cue tip on any stick must be composed of a piece of specially processed leather or other fibrous or pliable material..."

i can't see any reason to purchase and practice with something you cannot use in competition. start with a bungee then, after a while, you'll be able to short-jump with any fairly light cue with a hard tip. long jump with any cue.

dan

Rich R.
03-28-2002, 11:56 AM
Dan, is it possible that it is only the BCA that has that specification? Before I purchased, I asked and was assured that the Sledgehammer was legal, but BCA was not mentioned.
Rich R.

03-28-2002, 12:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Rich R.:</font><hr> Dan, is it possible that it is only the BCA that has that specification? Before I purchased, I asked and was assured that the Sledgehammer was legal, but BCA was not mentioned.
Rich R. <hr></blockquote>

well, they lied, i guess. bca is the "standard" rule set and is the most widely used. there are some others out there for different assns. but they are mostly the same bca rules with some changes. never heard of anyone having a different rule for tips.

if we were playing, i'd bust you on the illegal tip but then i'd offer to loan you my bungee 'cause i'm just that kind of guy.

dan

Rich R.
03-28-2002, 12:39 PM
I appreciate your help Dan and I would certainly appreciate the loan of the cue.
The BCA does specify a tip made of leather or some other fiborous material. Although, the APA rules do not allow jump cues, their rules on equipment state, "any piece of equipment designed specifically for pocket billiards" is allowed." They make no mention of leather tips.
The whole issue of legality may rest with the governing body you are playing under.
I have sent Mike G. an email asking for his explaination of the legality of the Sledgehammer. I will update this thread if and when I get a response.
Rich R.~~~looking for the whole truth.

Rod
03-28-2002, 02:20 PM
Rich, YOU can't handle the Truth!! Kidding of course, just thought I'd throw that Nicholson line in there. Well maybe you can't, if they tell you it's not legal. That would be a big bummer.

Q-guy
03-28-2002, 04:23 PM
I don't think the phenolic ferrule is a good idea. A regular ferrule would give you the option to use what ever tip you want. I put on phenolic tips all the time but the guy is not locked into not being able to change. I don't see how his ferrule would work any better then just using a phenolic tip on any good jump cue. Also the phenolic ferrule is sure to get someone's attention if they want to beef about it. The dark brown phenolic tips I use are hard to tell from a Le Pro even up close unless you know what you are looking at. Not that you are looking to fool somebody, but why be so obvious if you don't have to. You are not doing anything wrong, but like someone said, you may get a guy say something about it just playing a sociable game.

Scott Lee
03-28-2002, 04:47 PM
I also got a new jump cue at Valley Forge. I first saw this cue at the L.A. Expo last Oct. It is designed by S. CA cuemaker Ned Morris, and is SPECTACULAR! I have used a Bungee Jumper for the past three years, and this one is even BETTER! It is designed by Ned, but manufactured by Stealth, out of Chicago. It comes in three pieces, and uses a LEATHER tip, NOT plastic or phenolic! The ability to jump ANY ball, regardless of distance makes this cue tops in it's catagory, imo. It retails for $100, and I sell them for $80 to ANYONE! If you get a chance to try one of these jumpcues, you will LOVE it!

Scott Lee

JimS
03-28-2002, 05:31 PM
I spose the same thing that happened to $0.15 gasoline, $0.05 Pepsi &amp; candy and $0.25 cigaretts!

Pool table cloth is GREEN, chalk is BLUE! Chevy's ruled...unless your name is Garlits or Beswick, or maybe Ivo.

Ken
03-28-2002, 06:27 PM
Scott, I assume Ned was the one with the collar around his neck. He said that restricted him somewhat but he still did some great jumping and jump-masses. I saw someone jump a ball up and backwards. I'm not sure how often that would be needed. I need to practice more, however.
Ken in CT

Rich R.
03-28-2002, 07:35 PM
I can handle the truth and I hope to get it from Mike G. LOL.
At the moment, I don't play in a BCA league, so I don't think I have to be too concerned about their requirement of a leather tip. The APA does not seem to require a leather tip, specifically, so I can still use it as a break cue in the two APA leagues I am currently playing in. That is the main use I planned when I purchased the cue. The APA does not allow breaking the cue down into a jump stick. I also play in a TAP league and they do allow jump cues. I will have to find out if they specify leather tips or not.
Rich R.

Doctor_D
03-28-2002, 08:27 PM
Good evening:

Nickel candies. Now those were the days.

Oooooops, dating myself.

Dr. D.

Ken
03-28-2002, 08:53 PM
I think you may have forgotten, it was "penny" candy.

Doctor_D
03-28-2002, 08:57 PM
Good evening:

Did you have to remind me? I was enjoying a "Senior Moment" on that rememberance.

Dr. D.

Vagabond
03-29-2002, 12:24 AM
Hello Mates,
Which era Y`all born!! LOL!
Vagabond

Scott Lee
03-29-2002, 01:42 AM
Ken...Yes, Ned had been in a car accident recently and had that collar around his neck! Didn't seem to hurt his style much! LOL

Scott

Rich R.
03-29-2002, 06:33 AM
Oh, whoa is me, I too remember the penny candies. Rich R.~~~let's change the subject.

Rich R.
03-29-2002, 08:39 AM
I received a response from Mike G. and it appears that only the BCA has a problem with the Sledgehammer. I am posting a copy of Mike's response below, in its entirety. Take it for what it is worth. Rich R.

Rich, when the Sledgehammer made it's daybue at the US Open it was allowed
to be used by the pros like George Sansousi, Keith Bennet, Nick Manino,
Mark Gregory, Allen Hopkins, Buddy Hall, Ralf Souquet, Scotty Townsend, and
many more. the BCA is the only org. that said that my cue was not legal,
all that said the Bunge is legal say mine is legal also,(everyone else),
except where jump cues are not allowed. I have invented the greatest break
jump cue ever that will help save clothes from being ripped because it takes
much less effort to jump the ball, however I was told by the BCA that my and
Bunge's cues were not approved. Let me let you in a little fact that will
really make the people in control squeel, I am almost done with a new
material for my invention (ferrule that is the tip) a new ferrule that will
have to be legallized. As for now there is leather in the middle of my
invention, and because I am a very small buisness I can not fight the powers
of pool, but the day is coming. Hope to hear back, Mike.
-

Q-guy
03-29-2002, 09:33 AM
You should send him an email and tell him he is being discussed here. He may want to talk about it him self. It would be interesting to hear from him. I think John C. will be surprised to hear his cue is not legal according to Mike G.