PDA

View Full Version : Is breaking like bowling?

phil in sofla
05-30-2003, 05:00 PM
The reason I ask is the results I'm getting from a 9-ball breaking method advocated by Jimmy Reid on one of his videos.

He suggests breaking from just off the side rail and using side English (9 o'clock if breaking from the left side rail), and aiming slightly to the left of a full hit on the 1 ball. I estimate I'm aiming at about 7/8ths to 3/4rs of the cue ball.

I don't know if it is this method, per se, or just paying close attention to my breaking stroke mechanics, but this has worked very well for me. I'm able to hit the rack at almost my full power without jumping the ball off the table, the rack spreads well, the cue ball dies back to center table, and I'm making multiple balls most of the time.

In bowling, having the bowling ball hit the pins with side spin contributes to the pin action, and knocking more of them down. Do you think the side spin on a break shot as I describe it does the same, throwing more action into the rack?

The other thing that may be happening is that with the slightly off line aiming, the off center hit on the cue ball is deflecting the cue ball into a very full hit on the 1, accounting for the spread and the cue ball control to the center of the table.

John G
05-30-2003, 09:23 PM
No, I don't think there's any relation at all. When a bowling ball strikes the pocket (17th board) at the correct angle it drives thru the pins. An ideal hit results in this sequence. Ball strikes 1-3, 2,4,7 domino effect 3,6,10 domino effect. ball drives thru takes out 5, 5 takes out 8. Ball deflects off 5 and takes out the 9 pin.

The english on the cue ball is to help maitain control. I don't think you could impart enough induced friction to make any perceivable difference. As far as Jimmy Reid, has a lot of knowledge about pool games and how to do it.

ceebee
06-02-2003, 08:40 PM
<<The other thing that may be happening is that with the slightly off line aiming, the off center hit on the cue ball is deflecting the cue ball into a very full hit on the 1, accounting for the spread and the cue ball control to the center of the table.>>

I have learned to do just what you or Jimmy Reid are suggesting. It's a good method that I use for overcoming some slight crossover, on the delivery of stroke.

Jimmy Reid will soon offer a Video using my Break Shot training tool.

arn3
06-02-2003, 10:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote phil in sofla:</font><hr> Do you think the side spin on a break shot as I describe it does the same, throwing more action into the rack?
<hr /></blockquote>\

i would expect that the harder you hit the CB the less its "spin" will affect the OB. and its effects dissipates over a whole rack of 9 balls. but i can see where side spin might keep the CB in the center of the table.