PDA

View Full Version : Double or nothing

UWPoolGod
05-30-2003, 05:27 PM
I'll be the first to admit that I haven't ventured very far into the gambling world. I have, but just straight up sets with maybe spots of the 8-ball is all. Now say that I win four sets in a row at $20/set. And say the guy I am playing wants to play "double or nothing". Now what are the scenarios depending on who wins? Since I am up $80, are we playing for $80 which would double my take to $160, or are we playing for $160 just for him having the chance at owing nothing?

Todd <--- always been confused by this

pooldaddy9
05-30-2003, 05:31 PM
Tell him to show you the money.

Scott Lee
05-30-2003, 05:34 PM
Todd...It sounds like he wasn't paying you after every set (which is critical, imo, to keep mental control of the game). If you let him go four sets, owing you $80 total, and then wanted to play one more for double or nothing, I would do this: make him pay you the $80, and then play him one set for $40. That way you walk away winners, no matter whether he wins THAT set or not! JMO

Scott

UWPoolGod
05-30-2003, 05:35 PM
Oh I know, if there was that much on the line I would definitely be asking up front. Just as I make the guy pay after each set.

UWPoolGod
05-30-2003, 05:40 PM
This didn't happen, it was just a "what if scenario". I make people pay after each set. Okay say he lost without paying and said that. I still haven't had my question answered. Not asking the strategy behind gambling, at least not yet. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Cueless Joey
05-30-2003, 05:46 PM
If he owes $80, you're playing for $160 and he's playing for NOTHING. If he happens to win and asks for $80 (saying he bet 160) ask him what part of NOTHING did he not understand.

Tom_In_Cincy
05-30-2003, 07:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote UWPoolGod:</font><hr> I'll be the first to admit that I haven't ventured very far into the gambling world. I have, but just straight up sets with maybe spots of the 8-ball is all. Now say that I win four sets in a row at $20/set. And say the guy I am playing wants to play "double or nothing". Now what are the scenarios depending on who wins? Since I am up $80, are we playing for $80 which would double my take to $160, or are we playing for $160 just for him having the chance at owing nothing?

Todd &lt;--- always been confused by this <hr /></blockquote>

"Double or nothing" bets imply that the person calling the bet still owes you money. You are playing for either twice what he owes, or they owe you NOTHING.

snook
05-30-2003, 07:45 PM
i would take your 80, promptly count is very slowly in front of him, look at your watch, and tell him you have to go home now......maybe thats just because ive only made sixty in one night and 80 is alot of money to me though......

John G
05-30-2003, 08:18 PM
Well for starters you shouldn't have $80.00 on the string. It's the easiest way to get stiffed. If the money is owed money and you double up, there is virtually no pressure on your opponent since he can always stiff you for the whole thing. While I dont't think it's important to post $20.00 sets but you should always clear up the money befor starting a new set. Even with friends if you want to stay friends.

As to doubling, you have to read your opponent. sometimes that will build a fire in him, and others it will open there nose and they just find a faster way to go off, In gambling at pool, there's more to consider then just making balls.

05-30-2003, 08:28 PM
being able to gamble depends on your nerves, some players can't shoot big money. but if playing for 160 did'nt bother or shaker your nerves the least bit, then hell why not.

but at $20.00 a set i'd have to get paid after each game.

Hopster
05-30-2003, 09:06 PM
Since I am up $80, are we playing for $80 which would double my take to $160, or are we playing for $160 just for him having the chance at owing nothing? &lt;--UWpoolgod

Ok, first thing i was taught is always repeat and make sure of a bet if you dont understand something. Guy says double or nothing, you say how much exactly ?? What are we playing for ?? If theres no misunderstanding, theres no beef later on. And i assumed you were settling up after every game and if he wants to play double or nothing , have him post it unless you know him and hes good for it.
I have had guys throw in $1000 on a crap game and yell out ACROSS. I just look at em and say how much ? 135, 540, how much EXACTLY ??
Always clarify, you will never go wrong.
I hope this is what you were asking.

Deeman
05-31-2003, 08:10 AM
I know this is not exactly what you asked but a little on the subject....be careful in letting people double up bets more than once as, unless you are much better, they will eventually win and it is very easy to let someone double up until they get lucky and a nights work can disappear very quickly. In my youth, I have actually let a guy double up three or four times, then he became hostile when I would not let him double up once more. Yes, I probably could have beat him but odds eventually get you. Of course, I did come to make money, not just to gamble and eventually he would have won and I'd have had another wasted evening in Paradise. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif