PDA

View Full Version : What's up with Mika

snipershot
05-30-2003, 07:56 PM
There's been alot of talk recently about how Corey Deuel hasn't played up to his standards, I think Mika Immonen has played the s#*!'s this year. The 2001 World Champion finished in 59th place in Derby City in the 9 ball division and only has $4600 in winnings this year. He played better at the BCA 9 ball open but still can't be pleased with his game.

I have always thought of Mika as being on of the top pros in the game today but this image has faded a little recently, hopefully he can get himself together for the Central Florida Open because it's a shame to see a player as talented as him struggle. Thoughts/opinions?

L.S. Dennis
05-30-2003, 11:02 PM
He might start by shedding the pool nickname "The Iceman" that he stole from another living player. That might go a long way to regain some respect in the community.

Brent
05-31-2003, 06:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote L.S. Dennis:</font><hr> He might start by shedding the pool nickname "The Iceman" that he stole from another living player. That might go a long way to regain some respect in the community. <hr /></blockquote>

BTW he didnt steal anything..u think players make up their own nicknames ? People give them. Anyway Im also worried about Mikas game...I sure hope he is up on his feet and ready on July 12-20...Cardiff time baby /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Drake
05-31-2003, 09:06 AM
Mika is a true champion. Champions always have spots where their game troubles them. BUT, It's hard to say Mika is struggling by only looking at his results of tournaments. Maybe Mika just didn't get to shoot, Winner breaks can be brutal. Nine Ball has a lot of luck involved in it unless you play by Buddy Hall's rules!!! Grady's rules look easy compared to Buddy's.

L.S. Dennis
05-31-2003, 09:12 AM
Sorry Brent
The fact that he accepted it and continued to allow it to be used is tantamount to stealing. This goes for Luc Salvas as well!

Steve Lipsky
05-31-2003, 09:55 AM
Mika took a few months off earlier this year, which explains why his money earned might be a little low.

Still, he did come in 3rd place in the BCA Open, and then had another high finish in the Joss finale last week. I think he'll be OK.

- Steve

snipershot
06-01-2003, 10:36 AM
I sure hope so because he's a pleasure to watch shoot, he has improved recently, as long as he's back to himself come July 12 /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

nAz
06-01-2003, 02:12 PM
whats up with mika? hey whats up with Cory Duel? his year has been pretty bad compared to the last two years.

arn3
06-01-2003, 02:56 PM
players don't give a damn, or want to waste their time searching for, or accept or reject, nicknames. they can't be bothered.

as if "earl the pearl" is something that hasn't been used dozens of times before.

L.S. Dennis
06-01-2003, 04:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote arn3:</font><hr> players don't give a damn, or want to waste their time searching for, or accept or reject, nicknames. they can't be bothered.

as if "earl the pearl" is something that hasn't been used dozens of times before. <hr /></blockquote>

You may be right, maybe they don't give a damn, but then that just goes to show the integrity of the player. Sad!

By the way I'm not aware of anyone else trying to use "Earl the pearl" are you?

jjinfla
06-01-2003, 04:43 PM
I watched Mika play saturday and he looked okay to me. I think there just are too many good players out there now for any one player to keep on top. Mika lost to Doug Young 9-8 a 20 year old who along with Josh Degler another 20 year old really surprised everyone in town with their skill. MIka walked over Richeson 9 zip. Jake

Scott Lee
06-01-2003, 08:40 PM
L.S. Dennis...I agree with you! However, there was an "Earl the Pearl" pro bowler, and an "Earl the Pearl" pro basketball player too!

Scott Lee

pooltchr
06-02-2003, 07:14 AM
No surprise here. I have watched Doug (Junior) Young play quite a bit on the Southeast tour and in local tournaments around town. He has incredible cue ball control, and he makes running out look easy. You will be hearing that name a lot in the next several years.

#### leonard
06-02-2003, 12:41 PM
Earl the Bowler certainly was a Pearl. The other Earls pale in comparision to him.####

eg8r
06-02-2003, 01:50 PM
Hello Jake,

I am really bummed about missing the tournament this year. Were the same problems still there (no way to see the tables unless you bought a seat). I was fortunate last year to watch Mika run the 9 or so racks in a row and it was awesome. I think the more awesome part about it was Mika's demeanor after he did it. He was quite humble that day.

Josh cracks me up. He is the biggest talker in the pool hall. I have never seen him against the likes of Archer, or Mika, but he does whip up on the local boys pretty good. He is a lot of fun to watch on the 3c tables also.

Any good stories come out of the tournament this year? Last year there was a guy from Daytona that was gambling some pretty good money but I have not heard much this year.

eg8r

snipershot
06-02-2003, 05:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote L.S. Dennis:</font><hr>
The fact that he accepted it and continued to allow it to be used is tantamount to stealing. This goes for Luc Salvas as well! <hr /></blockquote>

I'm sorry but I couldn't imagine Luc Salvas being nicknamed anything other than "Machine Gun", there is simply no better way to describe the way he shoots....Don't blink!

jjinfla
06-02-2003, 06:17 PM
They modified the seating and the first row had bar stools and a nice bar table and their view was pretty good. The 2nd row was the regular pool hall chairs and the view from them was terrible. This year I mainly just stood and was able to pick out a table I wanted to watch and had a pretty good view. There were empty 2nd row chairs but I had a better view standing. Then Harry the Gremlin was there and I sat in one of his front row seats when Linda Moss wasn't sitting in it. But I think there were more people there last year. I think more money was gambled at the poker/gin table in the back area then on the games. I didn't hear of any bets. I heard that Josh and JR were playing each other the days before the tourney and Josh came out on top. JR was in Ocala one friday begging people to play him and he beat anyone who was foolish enough to play. Richie Richeson wanted to bet Mika that he would win the lag. And that's all he won from Mika. Jake

eg8r
06-03-2003, 06:05 AM
The seating there is horrible. Too bad there isn't really much they can do without removing the Billiard tables and put up a small bleacher.

Too bad about the gambling. Usually there is more. One thing I notice last year, all the regulars stayed pretty incognito. I am happy to see Josh is trying to break that mold. He really does sneak up on people. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Another nice thing I like about that tournament, they have a couple qualifier tournaments prior to it which the winner gets paid entry to the tournament. The qualifiers are only for people with a skill rating of 7 or below (based on the rating scale of 13 which Pro Billiards uses for their tournaments).

eg8r