PDA

View Full Version : Illegal jump shot ?!?

Snyder1
05-30-2003, 08:49 PM
First off, lemme say I'm a relative newbie, but have progressed exponentially from when I started a year ago or so. Well, I feel like I got blindsided today. The guy that taught me is a very good player & plays in a 9 ball league. He shoots a jump shot frequently, but come to find out, its called a "scoup shot". I've spent the last few months perfecting it & have to say, I've gotten really good at it & rarely miss. When playing out of town today, I was told that it is an illegal shot, and if I continued shooting it, I would be shown the door. Needless to say, I feel like I've wasted a whole lot of time on this shot if its not legal. I was told you have to hit down on the ball to jump it legally. I can't imagine how one would go about jumping a ball in this way & figured you folks might be able to help me with the theory & required technique (I have read about short jump cues with hard composite tips ... is this type of equipment required for a down struck jump shot ?). Much appreciated all...

John

05-30-2003, 09:39 PM
Snyder, you were told correctly it is incorrect / illegal to shoot a jump shot using a scoop ( shooting at the bottom of the cb untill it leaps over another ob to pocket the intented ob of yours) the proper way to jump is to raise the but of the cue 20-40 or more depending on you, and shoot down on the cb. you can get Robert Brynes Video on this, i have about 2 extra copies of brynes tape part 2 where he talks about jumping, if you would like to get a copy i can copy tapes 1 & 2 and send them to you.

sorry to hear that your teacher led you in the wrong direction.

John G
05-30-2003, 10:11 PM
Yesss, scooping is illegal. Nothing can contact the cue ball butt the tip, when you 'scoop' op the ball your lifting it with the ferrule.

How to perform a legal jump shot? That's kind of a hard question to answer without some visual aid. The angle the cue stick is held and drives thru the cue ball has a direct relationship to the angle the cue ball exits. What your doing is driving the cue ball into the bed and since it can't do that it bounces, kind of like hitting a tennis ball.

The easiest way I've found to teach it is place a piece of chalk about 6 inches in front of the cue ball. Strike the cue ball with a downward stroke (maybe start at 60 degree angle) remember you are driving thru the ball. Do this untill you can comfortably clear the chalk. Then start moving the chalk further out untill you can clear it at about 14 inches. Now your ready for a ball

When you begin it will help to keep your focus on the contact point of the cue ball. A word of caution. Use an old piece if Simonis under the cue ball, It will save you from recovering somebody's table. Good luck

Ralph S.
05-31-2003, 12:31 AM
You have been told correctly about the "scoop" beeing an illegal shot. What has been said as far as jumping properly so far is accurate, but it will help you if you invest in a jump cue. Incase you do not have one yet, they do allow jump shots to be executed more accurately. Hope this helps.

BTW jump rods usually run about $80 give or take some.

cheesemouse
05-31-2003, 04:02 AM
Sydney1,
You've found out that the scoop jump is illegal but take heart because if you did the time to learn too scoop with accurracy you can most certainly learn the easier and more accurate but correct legal jump method; I would suggest buying a jump stick designed for just that purpose, they are a 'get out of jail card'.......good luck in your pool journey.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fred Agnir
05-31-2003, 07:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Snyder1:</font><hr> I was told you have to hit down on the ball to jump it legally. I can't imagine how one would go about jumping a ball in this way &amp; figured you folks might be able to help me with the theory &amp; required technique <hr /></blockquote>

There are a few video demos online. Here's one from Dale Chilton:

Flying Eagle II (http://www.chiltoncues.com/flyingeagle.shtml)

and a written instructional by Tom Simpson

Tom Simpson on Jumping (http://www.lucasi-cues.com/bunjee/jumpcue-instructions.htm)

Fred

Fran Crimi
05-31-2003, 07:43 AM
John, you're not alone in what happened to you. There's a lot of misinformation floating around out there and it happens to new players a lot. Obviously you know now that choosing the right person to ask a question to is very important.

As a fairly new player, you have to accept the liklihood that you are probably not knowledgable enough to judge who the really good players are just yet. I don't mean it at all as a put-down...it's just part of the natural process we all experience in learning the game. Our knowledge grows as we go along. If you want to improve, then it would be a good idea to take some lessons from a reputable instructor who others have recommended. If you just have some questions you need answered, ask around your local establishment who the three best players in the place are and use them as your source of information. I'm sure at least one of the three will be willing to answer your questions.

Fran

Snyder1
06-01-2003, 10:37 AM
Thanks everybody for your help !! I have a better idea of how to go about this shot &amp; really appreciate it...

John

pooltchr
06-02-2003, 06:55 AM
I agree a jump cue will help a lot. One word of caution though, jump cues are not allowed in APA league. Most other leagues and tournaments do allow them, and for less than a bill, they are well worth it. Fran's advise to find a good instructor is right on the money. Look at bca-pool.com go to play and instruction and you will find a list of qualified instructors listed by state. It will be the best investment in your game you can make.