PDA

View Full Version : Tight Pockets

05-30-2003, 09:55 PM
Here at home i have tight pockets on my table, and this is what am used to, at the ph on tables 2 & 11 are also tight pockets, but it seems to me that when i shoot on other tables that pockets are'nt tight, the pockets seem so big to me. But having tight pockets and practing on a table like such has definetly given me a stroke straighter than and arrow. so do others shoot on tables with tight pockets, for fun,practice etc.

i do it for practice and fun, it makes me keep my basic cue handling skills in check.

John G
05-30-2003, 10:28 PM
Tight pockets will certainly hone your aiming skills but all small pockets are not tough pockets. The shape of the opening, The length the bed protrudes into the pocket (shallow or deep) The facing material can make a hugh difference. One of the problems with always practicing on tight pockets is it will limit the number of balls you will run.

If you want to be able to string racks you first have to see yourself doing it. Do that on a loose table, build your confidence there. Then work on stringing them on a tight table. Hone your aiming skills on a tight table but build your confidence on a looser table. You'll be hard to beat. Good Luck

cheesemouse
05-31-2003, 04:30 AM
muujahid,
Just last year I experienced the difference between my home table, a Brunswick Anniversary with 5 inch pockets openings and a Diamond Pro with the pro spec pockets that a friend now has in his basement pool room. The range of total offensive shots can be very limiting on the tight pocket tables. Practicing on the tight pockets is great but DON'T forget to free up your stroke when your playing on the looser equiptment.

John G said it best:

[ QUOTE ]
If you want to be able to string racks you first have to see yourself doing it. Do that on a loose table, build your confidence there. Then work on stringing them on a tight table. Hone your aiming skills on a tight table but build your confidence on a looser table. You'll be hard to beat. Good Luck <hr /></blockquote>

....Happy trails to you........ /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

pooldaddy9
05-31-2003, 06:28 AM
I have tight pockets on my table and I still sometimes when practicing will use pocket liners. Talk about a tight pocket.