PDA

View Full Version : Accu-Stats to start offering DVD's in July

05-31-2003, 10:01 AM
I've been putting off ordering videos from Accu-Stats because I refuse to buy into more VHS tapes. I now have a DVD player for every VCR in my house, so I no longer want to deal with tapes. I have a Tivo for recording TV matches, so the last pool tape I plan to deal with will be the tape Scott Lee makes when he comes to my house next month. And that one will be promptly remastered to DVD. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Anyway, last week I ordered Phil Capelle's Capelle on 9-Ball DVD & Book combo. When Pete Fleming (Pat's son? brother?) e-mailed me to let me know it had shipped, I asked him about future DVD plans. He told me that starting in July with the 3C Tourny in Vegas that they will be introducing their matches in DVD format. Hooray! Don't know about their plans to remaster past matches, but at least the new stuff will hopefully be available in DVD from now on.

Also, as an aside, I noticed on Accu-Stat's website that they carried Byrne's "McGoorty" book. The book is out of print and I've had one on backorder with Amazon for over 3 months now. I asked Pete and sure enough, they have stock! So if you're one of the few like me who put off getting this book until it was almost too late, check Accu-Stats!

Steve Lipsky
05-31-2003, 10:07 AM
Great news, David! Thanks for the update.

- Steve

Hopster
05-31-2003, 12:30 PM
Don't know about their plans to remaster past matches, but at least the new stuff will hopefully be available in DVD from now on. <--Dmorris68

I had e mailed Pat a while ago and asked about going to dvd and whether or not they were going to transfer the older matches to dvd also and the answer was no. Only the new matches will be going to dvd. I forget the reason he gave me but thats the answer. Personally i am looking forward to it.

pooldaddy9
05-31-2003, 01:38 PM
That will be great. Do they make a recorder you can buy to record from vhs to dvd yet?

05-31-2003, 02:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooldaddy9:</font><hr> That will be great. Do they make a recorder you can buy to record from vhs to dvd yet? <hr /></blockquote>Sure, DVD burners have been out for some time for PC's, and now they sell stand-alone decks for your home theater that will record DVD's. DVD burners for your PC cost around $150-$300 depending on the speed and features. This method requires either a video card with video inputs, or a standalone capture card, that can capture the video from a VCR. Standalone decks connect directly to your VCR, but cost quite a bit more, like $500-$1000.

Something else that can be done until you have a DVD burner, is to record your VHS tapes onto VideoCD's. The quality isn't quite up to DVD standards, but if done correctly meets and often exceeds VHS quality. Most modern DVD players will play VideoCD's, and it only requires a standard CDRW drive to burn them.

Hopster
05-31-2003, 03:34 PM
Something else that can be done until you have a DVD burner, is to record your VHS tapes onto VideoCD's. The quality isn't quite up to DVD standards, but if done correctly meets and often exceeds VHS quality. Most modern DVD players will play VideoCD's, and it only requires a standard CDRW drive to burn them. &lt;--Dmorris68

Ok, i have a burner on my comp, how do i get the vhs tapes on to my comp to burn them to video disc ??

eg8r
05-31-2003, 04:07 PM
I emailed and asked Pat a little while ago, and he said the US Open should be available in the DVD format.

eg8r

05-31-2003, 04:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Hopster:</font><hr>Ok, i have a burner on my comp, how do i get the vhs tapes on to my comp to burn them to video disc ??<hr /></blockquote>Well, first you need to have a capture card. Some PC video cards (like my Leadtek GeForce4 Ti4200 VIVO) support video capture themselves. Otherwise, you can pick up an inexpensive video capture card that plugs into your PC alongside your video card.

Next, you'll need capture software. Most video capture cards, or video cards that support capture come with software. Some is good, some not, but there are numerous freeware, shareware, and commercial software available to use. Using this capture software, you'll connect your VCR output to your video/capture card's inputs, and then capture the output from the VCR to your hard drive in AVI format. You'll need a lot of drive space to do this, usually several gigabytes per hour of video. Some capture hardware/software can do real-time encoding to MPEG format, requiring less space and avoiding the next step. However, doing so requires lots of PC horsepower and help from MPEG encoding hardware, so it's usually only an option for the hardcore PC types.

Next, the captured AVI is converted to the proper MPEG level for VideoCD or DVD (whichever you're mastering) and then recorded to the media. Most CD mastering software can burn VideoCD's. My personal favorite is Nero Burning ROM.

Here's a link to a site for how-to's, articles, and links to software to get the job done:

http://www.vcdhelp.com

Beginners and the less-technical types can buy software for less than $100 that does a fair job of wrapping all of these steps into a user-friendly interface.

cycopath
05-31-2003, 07:00 PM
I hope there isn't a significant difference in price between the two. To be honest, I think the VHS tape prices are high. But I've paid it.

Hopster
05-31-2003, 10:12 PM
Hey Dmorris, thanks a bunch guy, you gave a great answer and i appreciate it. i saved it and will use it as reference when i get around to doing some copying.

eg8r
05-31-2003, 10:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The quality isn't quite up to DVD standards, but if done correctly meets and often exceeds VHS quality. <hr /></blockquote> Without any sort of software and knowledge, you will not get better quality than the VHS. If you copy a cruddy video, all you are going to do is compress a cruddy video. Not that this is not a bad idea, it will last longer than the tape.

eg8r

Hopster
06-01-2003, 12:45 AM
Without any sort of software and knowledge, you will not get better quality than the VHS. If you copy a cruddy video, all you are going to do is compress a cruddy video. Not that this is not a bad idea, it will last longer than the tape. &lt;--Eg8r

Yeah i figured that much out but its going to be a while before i make any kind of a move anyway. Hopefully my nephew who is a whiz with that junk will be set up for it and handle it for me. lol
BTW- i heard that the price of the DVD recorders has started dropping already. $399 in some spots i beleive.

bluewolf
06-01-2003, 05:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cycopath:</font><hr> I hope there isn't a significant difference in price between the two. To be honest, I think the VHS tape prices are high. But I've paid it. <hr /></blockquote>

Ditto. The tapes seem to be about the same price as recent release DVDs. Rarely does a new release DVD cost more than 29$, and that is when you are getting gouged.

At VF, there was a new company putting matches on DVD, and they seemed to be the same price as accu-stats is charging now for the VHS tapes. Unfortunately, we lost the information. Anybody know about them?

Laura

bluewolf
06-01-2003, 06:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Hopster:</font><hr>BTW- i heard that the price of the DVD recorders has started dropping already. $399 in some spots i beleive.
<hr /></blockquote>

YUP. Radio Shack has them in or near that price so sure others do too.

Laura

06-01-2003, 07:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr>[ QUOTE ]
The quality isn't quite up to DVD standards, but if done correctly meets and often exceeds VHS quality. <hr /></blockquote> Without any sort of software and knowledge, you will not get better quality than the VHS. If you copy a cruddy video, all you are going to do is compress a cruddy video. Not that this is not a bad idea, it will last longer than the tape.
eg8r <hr /></blockquote>Ed, you're right that the copy *generally* cannot be any better than the original.

What I was saying, and probably should have worded better, is that the specs (resolution) of VideoCD is about the same as SP VHS quality, and the specs of SVCD (Super VideoCD) exceeds VHS quality and approaches DVD quality. With some SVCD's you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference from a DVD. However not as many set-top DVD players are compatible with SVCD.

However, some of the more advanced software does a decent job of sharpening video and cleaning minor video and audio noise from a video capture, so it is possible to come out with a slightly better copy. Even without that, if you start out with a very clean VHS source, then the VideoCD source should come out just as good. But over time, the VHS tape will degrade and quality will decline, while the VideoCD maintains its quality.

eg8r
06-01-2003, 08:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
However, some of the more advanced software does a decent job of sharpening video and cleaning minor video and audio noise from a video capture, so it is possible to come out with a slightly better copy. Even without that, if you start out with a very clean VHS source, then the VideoCD source should come out just as good. But over time, the VHS tape will degrade and quality will decline, while the VideoCD maintains its quality. <hr /></blockquote> The beauty of digital. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

eg8r
06-01-2003, 08:57 AM
As the technology increase (speeds increase) the price will continue to come down (especially on the slightly older models).

Once you have all the hardware/software you should be alright. Take some time to learn how to use it, and the only thing holding you up will be your PC. The encoding/compressing is what will take all the time. If your computer is a little slow it will take a good amount of time.

Overall this is a great idea, and it helps you save your VHS tapes. Also, depending on your DVD player, you can probably watch the videos using it. I have an older Sony DVD player and it only uses a limited number of CDR/CDRW. Don't be discouraged if it does not work the first time you try.

Good luck,

eg8r

Patrick
06-02-2003, 09:01 AM
I asked Accu-Stats 4-5 years ago, they said they will not make DVDs. Finally it is here, this is better, now I don't need to buy a NTSC vcr to be able to see the tapes. I can just use my dvd player with all regions. But now it is too late, I wouldn't want to watch those bad players and pay for it.

Patrick