PDA

View Full Version : Star Billiards - do they make good pool tables?

05-31-2003, 11:41 AM
The local Costco in my southern Oregon town is selling pool tables manufactured by a company called Star Billiards. The table I am looking at costs $1900, which is $700 less than a similar Olhausen table, and is also solid wood, three piece slate, one inch thick. Does anyone know anything about Star Billiards? The rep told me that the company, which is located in Oregon, has only been in business for a year. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

John G
05-31-2003, 12:23 PM
Ask the rep to show or describe the construction of the table. Slate should be at least 1 in thick with a 1 in plywood backing. look at the web support, (what the bed sets on) make sure there plenty of it, slates heavy and the last thing you want is your table sagging in the middle. Ask what the web support is made of . It needs to be a very hard and stable wood or a material with no give. It must have at least 3 bolts per rail section. Ask what type of 'rubber' they use for the rails, there's good and bad do some research. It can make a lot of difference in the speed of the table. What kind of cloth do they use. Can you upgrade if needed. One thing about Costco, in my experience if your not happy they will almost always make it right even if it means taking it back. Good luck with your purchase. Remember buying a pool table is a little like buying an elephant, easy to buy but hard to sell. Get all your questions answered to your satisfaction befor you buy. Again, Good Luck

Scott Lee
06-02-2003, 12:59 AM
John's advice was right on! It's possible that this company in Oregon is not actually manufacturing the tables, but just importing cheaply made Chinese tables. Some of them are pretty poor quality, and some are okay...kinda like Chinese-made cuesticks. I would definitely do my homework before buying one.

Scott Lee