PDA

View Full Version : "Pool Scene" is different wherever you go...

rackmup
03-27-2002, 08:53 PM
Having played most of my entire life in Arizona, I am learning that pool players, pool rooms & the whole "pool scene" varies by location.

For instance, in Arizona, "Flat rates" for pool during the day are $5.00 almost everywhere.

"Money Players" with "gamble" only come out at night.

Cues are left on tables while their owners go to the restroom.

"Weekly" tournaments are almost always "money added", a race to your handicap and pay only the top 2 or 3 finishers, with 1st collecting at least a Benjamin.

In Las Vegas...

There ARE no pool rooms to speak of, even though the biggest "league championships" are held there every year.

The few rooms that are there are 24 hours, "action" everywhere and if you haven't lost enough on the tables, you can lose the rest in the slots.

When you go to the restroom, you have someone watch your cues for you.

Weekly tournaments...what weekly tournaments?

And here in Texas...

$2.00 and $3.00 flat rates almost everywhere!

"Action" in the middle of the afternoon.

People you don't know, that have never seen you play, asking as you take your cue from your case..."Wanna play some cheap pool?"

Absolutely filthy tables...everywhere.

Your cue (I'm told) should be taken to the restroom with you.

Weekly tournaments EVERYWHERE! But very few with money added (that I have found.)

But, no matter where I play...I love this game!

Regards,

Ken

stickman
03-27-2002, 10:59 PM
Very different here in Parsons, Kansas. No daytime action. The only poolhall is open only at night and Saturdays. $2.00 an hour at the pool hall. The best action is around midnight at the rowdiest bar in town. They're open til 2:00. Tables are filthy, and so are a lot of the customers. Sunday tournaments at the rowdy bar. Don't worry about your cue when you go to the bathroom. Sardo racks? Only seen one on TV. Gotta love it. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

03-27-2002, 11:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: rackmup:</font><hr>And here in Texas...
People you don't know, that have never seen you play,asking you take your cue from your case..."Wanna play some cheap pool?"
Weekly tournaments EVERYWHERE! But very few with money added (that I have found.)
Regards,
Ken <hr></blockquote>

well, rack, welcome to texas.

what do you call 'filthy"??? what kind of places are you going to? is this mostly bar box action or are you going into real pool rooms? i would expect the chains in dallas to be much the same as here. maybe i'm just used to the occasional weed sprouting from the pockets. (i'm told that if you let those grow you can sell...oh well, nevermind.)

5$ daytime flat is more common where i go.

wannaplaysomecheap is just a natural greeting the children are taught in school. don't worry, no one here actually knows how to shoot and 'cheap' is usually 5 for 20. easy.

unfortunately, taking the cue to the restroom with you will not help you here. it's easier to rob you there with limited witnesses. just leave it on the table and the worst you'll have happen is that the gentlemen on the next table will sell it back to you at a very reasonable price.

houston cornbreads, westheimer/beltway is doing a $2000.00 added deal in about 2 weeks. it's a short drive.

dan

Tom_In_Cincy
03-28-2002, 12:44 AM
Tonight, I am feeling lucky to be living in Cincinnati...

Chris Cass
03-28-2002, 05:54 AM
Hi Ken,
I take my cue to the washroom everytime. Even if my friends are playing close. One time I didn't, I left it with Jim S. only because he could replace it.LOL I'm not worried about thieves, just cluts. LOLLOLLOL

Regards,
C.C.~~sleeps with his cue......

03-28-2002, 06:15 AM
Wow I guess we have it good here in the burbs of Philly.$5 ALL DAY TIL 6pm where I practice(Classics Billiards Phoenixville Pa-if you all are around), great equipment,tournys every night somewhere,scratch,handicapped,whatever you want,any size action- race to 5 $10 or $20,100 points for $20 and on up from there,never heard of someone losing a cue going to the can,very "local" where I play.Then if you feel cocky head to Philly and find whatever your looking for!...I'll be here when you get back;)...BTW My wife and I are moving down to Daytona Beach this summer if anyone on here is in the area and would like to show me the ropes there, the table times on me.....Gerry

Doctor_D
03-28-2002, 06:40 AM
Good morning:

Table time in New York City (Manhattan) tends to be a little diferrent then anywhere else. Amsterdam West, where I spend most of my table time, has daytime "Power Plays" at $22.00 from 11:00AM until 6:00PM. After 6:00PM, it is $29.00 per Three (3) hour session. Hourly table time can range from $10.50 down to $7.50 per hour per person depending on how many individuals are on the table. They even have a private back room, with a Gold Crown III, which is available for a flat $5.00 additional charge on and above your table time. The private room is great when I want to do drills and be left alone.

Needless to say, whether table time or life itself, Manhattan is not cheap.

Dr. D.

Kato
03-28-2002, 08:47 AM
Bet KarateMom loves that.

Kato~~~highly doubts Chris's wife shares the bed with the SouthWest.

JimS
03-28-2002, 09:30 AM
Where...oh where in the WORLD did you get the idea that she is allowed in bed with the South West? Geez RJ...your assumptions are SO not.

Doctor_D
03-28-2002, 09:30 AM
Good morning:

When "Pookie" and I were together, the cues had to be put in the closet. Too damn hard for the bed.

Dr. D.

03-28-2002, 10:13 AM
"GOD" AND I TALK ABOUT THE RAT TRAP I PLAY IN . NO PLACE LIKE HOME .(NYC)MY OLD ROOM ,TIME $3HR 25 TABLES.YOU GET ACTION ALMOST ALL DAY LONG (CHELSEA WAS DEAD)ROAD PLAYERS LOOK FOR "GINKY" OR SOMEONE TO PLAY $100 A SET .BUT DOWN HERE .PLEASE NO TYPE OF ACTION.THERE ARE 2 BROTHERS WHO WOULD PLAY ANY BODY .BUT ALWAYS ON THE ROAD .CAUSE DOWN HERE NO ONE WOULD PLAY THEM. PEOPLE HERE THEY LOOK TO ROB EACH OTHER .5-10 DOLLARS SETS.
SO NOW I'M LIVING IN POOL WORLD HELL.DOWN SOUTH.

Kato
03-28-2002, 12:39 PM
Oh Jim you are bad.

Kato

Troy
03-28-2002, 01:34 PM
Table time in Nor Cal runs $5-6 per hour for one player, $10 for two. Some rooms have monthly memberships for $65-$75 and your play is pre-paid from opening (around noon) until 7 PM.

Taking your cue to the restroom is optional depending on the crowd, how well you know them and the time of day.

Troy

Rod
03-28-2002, 01:56 PM
I wonder how the young people are able to afford the table time in LA, SF or NY? They had better get good quick so someone else pays for their time. What ever happened to the 10 cent 9 ball rack? Never mind. lol

Troy
03-28-2002, 02:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Rod:</font><hr> I wonder how the young people are able to afford the table time in LA, SF or NY? They had better get good quick so someone else pays for their time. What ever happened to the 10 cent 9 ball rack? Never mind. lol <hr></blockquote>

10 cents a rack.... If you remember, you're showing your age Rod... /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif
Troy...~~~ First job was racking getting 10 cents per...

cheesemouse
03-28-2002, 02:25 PM
Rod&amp;Troy,
I just used a currency converter <a target="_blank" href=http://woodrow.mpls.frb.fed.us/economy/calc/cpihome.html>http://woodrow.mpls.frb.fed.us/economy/calc/cpihome.html</a> and it shows that that .10$ rack of nine ball in 1960 would cost you .60$ now. How many racks of nine ball can you play in one hour?

Rod
03-28-2002, 02:31 PM
HA HA, No I don't remember Troy, someone told me that. lol

Rod
03-28-2002, 02:42 PM
1960, who said anything about 1960? Oh ok now I get it, my father told me about 10 cent racks. How was I to know it was that long ago? At .60$ a rack the game could get expensive, although I move a little slower now. You know quality not quantity!

Chris Cass
03-28-2002, 04:22 PM
Boy you guys are trouble makers. You even got the good Dr. D. involved. Tisk, Tisk.
LMAO,
C.C.~~See what you started? Kato my next victim.LOLLOL

Chris Cass
03-28-2002, 04:25 PM
Listen to the pot calling the kettle black.LOL

Chris Cass
03-28-2002, 04:30 PM
Hi Troy,
It was 25 cents a rack for me with 50 cents an hr for straight pool. LOL Man how the prices changed. If you consider that bar boxes were 50 cents for the longest times, that's not so bad.
C.C.

SpiderMan
03-28-2002, 04:32 PM
Ken,

Having "sampled the scenes" in Phoenix and Las Vegas, and living in Dallas, I'd
say that I agree with all of your points except the one about "money added".

My own estimate as a long-time resident is that about half of the weekly
tournaments in the DFW area are money-added. It's actually been quite a
while since I played one that wasn't. But I hang out in Dallas, and I believe
you have been confining your activities to the Ft Worth side. They may be a little
poorer over there in Cowtown. Are you sure that was dirt on the
tables?

I'll tell you one big difference in the Dallas and Phoenix weekly-tournament
scene. There are a lot more weekly tournaments in the Dallas area than in
Phoenix, but in Phoenix they are publicized much better. So in Phoenix it's
easy to find money added on a given night by just picking up a newsletter.
Although Dallas has a lot more going on, until you make a few contacts you
might not find the best ones.

Many of DFW's most "lucrative" money-added tournaments are not even handicapped,
but because they're at little neighborhood bars you may never hear about them.
If you're into it, a new money-added bar tourney is a free meal ticket. You can rotate
several of these in and out of your itenerary and they'll never get tired of you. Let
too many people in on it, and the action will die because the regulars will realize
that it's become a shark tank.

SpiderMan

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: rackmup:</font><hr> Having played most of my entire life in Arizona, I am learning that pool players, pool rooms &amp; the whole "pool scene" varies by location.

For instance, in Arizona, "Flat rates" for pool during the day are $5.00 almost everywhere.

"Money Players" with "gamble" only come out at night.

Cues are left on tables while their owners go to the restroom.

"Weekly" tournaments are almost always "money added", a race to your handicap and pay only the top 2 or 3 finishers, with 1st collecting at least a Benjamin.

In Las Vegas...

There ARE no pool rooms to speak of, even though the biggest "league championships" are held there every year.

The few rooms that are there are 24 hours, "action" everywhere and if you haven't lost enough on the tables, you can lose the rest in the slots.

When you go to the restroom, you have someone watch your cues for you.

Weekly tournaments...what weekly tournaments?

And here in Texas...

People you don't know, that have never seen you play, asking as you take your cue from your case..."Wanna play some cheap pool?"

Regards,

Ken <hr></blockquote>

SpiderMan
03-28-2002, 04:39 PM
Rod,

As recently as 10 years ago a rack of 9-ball was 10 cents at Purvis's in Oxford, MS.
8-Ball was 15 cents. Then it went up to 25 cents for either, and there it stayed
until the place finally closed in Y2K. The balls were always out on the tables, racked.
You walked in and broke them, the loser of the game yelled "rack!" and Purvis
came over and racked the balls. On a slow day he'd shoot with anyone who didn't
have an opponent, and he wore the rack around his neck to keep it handy.

He could beat the stuffing out of 'most anyone, undaunted by that silly-looking rack
hanging around his neck.

SpiderMan

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Rod:</font><hr> I wonder how the young people are able to afford the table time in LA, SF or NY? They had better get good quick so someone else pays for their time. What ever happened to the 10 cent 9 ball rack? Never mind. lol <hr></blockquote>

SpiderMan
03-28-2002, 04:44 PM
What a "straight" line. I could embarass us all /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

SpiderMan

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Doctor_D:</font><hr> Good morning:

When "Pookie" and I were together, the cues had to be put in the closet. Too damn hard for the bed.

Dr. D.
<hr></blockquote>

Rod
03-28-2002, 05:16 PM
Many of DFW's most "lucrative" money-added tournaments are not even handicapped,
but because they're at little neighborhood bars you may never hear about them.
If you're into it, a new money-added bar tourney is a free meal ticket. You can rotate
several of these in and out of your itenerary and they'll never get tired of you. Let
too many people in on it, and the action will die because the regulars will realize
that it's become a shark tank. "End Quote"

The boys are a little slow out here Spiderman, they go in, beat the hell out of everyone, and wonder why there isn't a tournament. I know some guys that did that and not one but 2 or three of them would enter. People only give money away for so long, then it dries up!

rackmup
03-28-2002, 06:21 PM
Diana...

You know damn well the reasons the cues were put into the closet. I grew tired of the "length" comparison.

Remember...a man is sensitive about that stuff.

Love,

Kenny

cheesemouse
03-28-2002, 06:58 PM
Gees get a room..........

http://www.chargeonline.com.br/janela0.gif

03-28-2002, 07:53 PM
Too bad just the cues came out.....

Doctor_D
03-28-2002, 08:30 PM
Good evening Ken:

I see that you have yet to get over the fact that you will never (WELL, YOU GET THE PICTURE)!

Take care "Poopsie"

Dr. D.

Doctor_D
03-28-2002, 08:38 PM
Good evening:

Does this mean that there is more to Ken then meets the eye ?

Dr. D.

rackmup
03-29-2002, 12:29 AM
Ignore the "lurker" from "that other place."

Regards,

Ken (straight as an arrow but all white-boy)

rackmup
03-29-2002, 12:31 AM
Cheesemouse...dats sum funny stuff.

Regards,

Ken

Doctor_D
03-29-2002, 12:58 AM
Good evening:

You have to admit that, for a pair of X's, we do have some fun together. I do hope that the new Mrs. Ken is "OK" with all of this

Dr. D.

Scott Lee
03-29-2002, 01:17 AM
Rod...You would hate it out on Long Island (NYC) where I saw barboxes with slots for EIGHT quarters...yep, two BUCKS a game, and it was a terrible little 3x6 table with BLACK cloth! A dollar a game is standard in most city bars with barboxes that I have seen...of course who really WANTS to play on those anyway? LOL

Scott

rackmup
03-29-2002, 07:57 AM
The "New &amp; Improved" Mrs. K is fine with it. She thinks it's great that we still get along so well. I told her that sometimes at night, when I am with her, I insert mental pictures of you.

She didn't like that.

So much for honesty in a marriage.

Regards,

Poopsie (definitely not going to tell her about the Nicole Kidman-Raspberry Jam-leather panties thoughts)

Kato
03-29-2002, 08:14 AM
C.C., Are you threatening me? I need T.P., I'll get the great Oneholio, then what will you do? 10 cent pool? What the heck is that? I've never seen a .50 cent bar box. I don't even want to pick up a cue again until I play you. Oh, I'm gonna be ready.

Kato~~~drooling.

PoolFool
03-29-2002, 10:07 AM
Ken, keep looking. It's not all bad in DFW. I leave my cue,
watch, cell phone, and $5.00 - $10.00 worth of quarters at my table 4- 5 nights a week. In 4 years, nothing is missing.
Tables are recovered every 6 months and brushed daily. Now the bad part. I play at a bar. I just like playing a variety of people instead of the normal one on one in pool rooms. Try Carson's on the N. Dallas Tool Rd. New and clean.

PoolFool

Tom_In_Cincy
03-29-2002, 11:00 AM
It looks like there might be a Dallas/Ft.Worth area CCB tournament brewing. All these good players and all seem to like the area (or getting to).
Kinda wish I had a Dallas trip in the work..

Rod
03-30-2002, 02:25 AM
Your right Scott, I would hate that. 2 bucks is way to much. I haven't seen a 3x6 lately, and would not pay the price to play on one. In Phoenix it's usually 50 cents, but there are a few at 75 cents. The rent must be high in those places or it's just a gouge, because there is no other place to play.

04-10-2002, 12:24 AM
I am going to NYC in a couple weeks. Where is there some good 9-ball action?

Doctor_D
04-10-2002, 03:27 AM
Good morning:

You might want to look into Amsterdam Billiards West, 76th Street &amp; Amsterdam Avenue; Amsterdam East, 86th Street near 2nd Avenue; or Corner Billiards, 11th Street &amp; 4th Avenue.

Dr. D.

Chris Cass
04-10-2002, 07:06 AM
Why Kato,
I would never threaten you. As far as 10 cent pool, that came from Rod. Him and Jim S. racked for the 12 Apostles. LMAO Boy, am I up the creek now. LOL

Not sweating the Big Guy, you'd have to pry the golf club, out of his hands first. LOLLOL

Your Bestest Friend,
C.C.~~he'll buy it, I'm sure...LOL

04-10-2002, 08:00 AM
Try 125th and Lexington in Harlem. There's a couple of places in that area. Malcum's Lounge is one good place for action. Walk around a couple of blocks and ask the 'Bruthuz'where the action is. They'll tell you for a small fee.