PDA

View Full Version : Burnishing with leather - what type of leather?

Buckster_uk
06-01-2003, 08:14 AM
I have seen the term burnish with leather a lot on this board, I was just wondering what leather is used and what side is used? i.e the fluffy side or the other side. Plus, I am guessing black leather cannot be used as the cue will get black stains on it. So, will white leather need to be used?
What does it actually do too? I am guessing it just smooths the cue a lot and takes out any green stains in it? Is leather abrasive?

WaltVA
06-01-2003, 10:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Buckster_uk:</font><hr> I have seen the term burnish with leather a lot on this board, I was just wondering what leather is used and what side is used? i.e the fluffy side or the other side. Plus, I am guessing black leather cannot be used as the cue will get black stains on it. So, will white leather need to be used?
What does it actually do too? I am guessing it just smooths the cue a lot and takes out any green stains in it? Is leather abrasive? <hr /></blockquote>
What you need is a piece of UNDYED leather - try a shoe repair shop, ask for a leather half-sole replacement or a scrap piece of undyed leather, cut it to a handy size to fit your case pocket. McDermott used to sell thin round leather burnishers (prox. 5" diam.)- bought one with my first cue over 25 years ago and still using it.

First few times,you can start with the rough side and finish with the smooth. After doing this a few times, the shaft will be smooth enough you can just use the smooth side.

The heat generated by vigorous burnishing is what actually polishes and "seals" the shaft - instead of leather,some people use a piece of heavy brown paper from a paper bag.

Clean leather by itself is not abrasive, and not particularly good at removing stains from shafts. Several posts recently have suggested methods/products for cleaning shafts; I use a little lighter fluid on a soft cloth occasionally, followed by burnishing, but I'm not a "neat freak" about getting the shaft back to pristine white.

Walt in VA

arn3
06-01-2003, 03:33 PM
get a very thick(1/8" or belt thickness) piece of raw leather. any place that uses leather will have leftover scraps they throw away. use the rough side.

hadenball
06-02-2003, 05:10 AM
Besides leather I have also used clean table felt,and 1500 grit sandpaper. It's not really sanding but if you are uncomfortable with that use the back side, it works good too. Willards used to make their shapers with a leather cover and I've seen people use the inside of that. haden

06-02-2003, 06:59 AM
The Cue Cube folks also make a burnisher that is smooth leather on one side, and a mild 3M-type nylon scrubber pad on the other side. The scrubber is soft and only mildly abrasive. It sells for only about $3-$4. I just bought one and have been pleased with it so far.

Here it is at BilliardFanatic (http://www.billiardfanatic.com/product.asp?intProdID=745&amp;intcatalogID=28&amp;strCatal og_Name=Cue+Care&amp;DPT=6&amp;page=2&amp;PullDown=0)

And at Mueller's (http://www.poolndarts.com/product.cfm?sku=91104-EA)

TomBrooklyn
06-02-2003, 09:35 AM
Full grain cowhide. Corn fed cattle is the best. The piece I have is dyed I think, but it's dyed a tan color which is pretty close to the color of the wood.

SPetty
06-02-2003, 11:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dmorris68:</font><hr> The Cue Cube folks also make a burnisher that is smooth leather on one side, and a mild 3M-type nylon scrubber pad on the other side. The scrubber is soft and only mildly abrasive. It sells for only about $3-$4. I just bought one and have been pleased with it so far.<hr /></blockquote>Hi dmorris68,

I've got one of those in my bag. The nylon cleaning pad is absolutely not nearly as abrasive as one of those green scotch-brite pads. I haven't been able to see anything removed from my shaft with the plastic part (when I use it on rare occasions), like I can with other scrubbers.

Just thought I'd add that in case anyone would shy away from it as being abrasive.

Rod
06-02-2003, 11:25 AM
Table felt is one of the best for buffing the shaft. I rub mine on top of the cushions, cleans it right up and polishes it. I hardly ever use anything else. Before people condem me, if places kept their equipment clean I wouldn't do that. Well maybe I would, LOL it is a habit. Not only that but those rubber pockets gum up the shaft.
Like you the back side of 1500 or so works well to.

Rod