PDA

View Full Version : Highest EVER payout for amateur tournament?

Bob
06-01-2003, 03:05 PM
What is the hightest EVER pay out for an amateur tournament?

Who won, when, where and how much?

dg-in-centralpa
06-01-2003, 03:13 PM
Check out www.superbilliardsexpo.com (http://www.superbilliardsexpo.com) then click on the open amateur section. Offhand I forget who won, but first place wins $5000. This runs every year at Valley Forge, PA.

smfsrca
06-01-2003, 06:02 PM
First, you have to define what an amateur tournament is. As far as I know almost every tournament being played in the US today is an unrestricted open which anyone with an entry fee can enter.

Steve Lipsky
06-01-2003, 06:34 PM
The highest-paying amateur tournament I know of is the South Padre Island 8-ball annual event. First place is usually around $20,000.

Keep in mind that the payouts are quite top-heavy; 5th place, from what I remember, was only around $1,000.

Also keep in mind that just because this is for "amateurs" only, does not mean the field is weak. It's pretty much all killers.

- Steve

Scott Lee
06-01-2003, 08:31 PM
Steve...The $20K payout for 1st was only the first year. The second year it was down to 14K, and this year less than that. The largest "amateur" payout were the Miller Lite amateur national tournaments, held in Las Vegas in the 80's. They did them for 3 yrs (IIRC), and the 1st place money was $25,000. All three years, a "pro" player won the event. Don't remember the names, but I was there all three years. These tournaments were at the MGM Grand.

Scott Lee

Troy
06-01-2003, 09:09 PM
The twice annual USPPA tournament at the Reno Sands Regency has constantly had a large purse.

Currently in progress, this purse is in excess of $23,000.

Troy...~~~ Should be there on the TD's staff, but.....

Rod
06-01-2003, 09:14 PM
Scott,
I come out of retirement, LOL to play in that. I won the state but didn't do all that well up there. Won about 300. The year I was there John Shuput won. I didn't know he was a pro though. Lets see I remember David Howard, Ronnie Allen and Cole Dixon to name a few. I know there was more but I've forgot. I heard there was a buy in for $750 but that may or may not be true.

Rod

SPetty
06-02-2003, 11:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr>The $20K payout for 1st was only the first year. The second year it was down to 14K, and this year less than that.<hr /></blockquote>Hi Scott,

The U.S. Classic Billiards Eight Ball Showdown in South Padre Island, TX did not happen this year (2003). They have stopped doing that tournament, and as a side note, have apparently sold out to the Windy City Open in Chicago. At least that's where I think they got my email address from, because the U.S. Classic Billiards Eight Ball Showdown web site is now all about the Windy City Open.

There was a tournament in South Padre Island in February, but it was a new Nine-Ball tournament. Sorry I don't know who the sponsor is/was, but randyg had some involvement with it.

Scott Lee
06-02-2003, 11:36 AM
Susan...I talked to RandyG about this, when I saw him in April. He mentioned that there was some kind of conflict between the promoters and the South Padre Island town council, that resulted in the tournament being cancelled!
I forgot it didn't even happen this year! Call it CRSS!
Great to see you in Vegas, even if it was only for a few minutes! See you again in Sept., back at the Pettypoint Poolhall!

Scott

Hopster
06-03-2003, 01:18 AM
All three years, a "pro" player won the event. Don't remember the names, but I was there all three years. These tournaments were at the MGM Grand. &lt;--Scott

I worked there just after Ballys took over, wasnt that a great looking place ? Whore house red and mirrors and marble all over the place.lol
I got to say this though, they had the greatest chandeleirs going, all you see now are cheap imitations.

randyg
06-03-2003, 07:21 AM
The SPI 8-ball Tournament was replaced with the SPI International 9-Ball Championships.

In 2003, $10,000 was added to three events (Open-Ladies-Seniors). Had over 180 entries the first time. Tournament is held every year the week after "Super Sunday". No "Pros"..........randyg

Bob
06-03-2003, 04:04 PM
Let me clear up a few things regarding the tournament in South Padre Island and the Windy City Open. They are not related and NEVER HAVE BEEN! It was not "SOLD" as you ASSUME because you are WRONG.
We all have friends in this business, and 3 seperate tournament directors conducted that event. Your name along with several THOUSAND other names changed hands between all people involved. Once you get on a mailing list, everyone gets your name. If you choose not to want to receive information from either the South Padre Island tournament or the Windy City Open tournament, then just contact them and ask them to remove you from their mailing list.

BTW,the high payout for that event went to David Henson at $32,000 at then second event run by GMPA out of Indiana.

ted harris
06-03-2003, 11:27 PM
Bob,
I think the BCA 8-ball Nationals, and the VNEA event are vying for that title.

Scott Lee
06-04-2003, 10:37 AM
Ted...I think the original poster was talking about 1st place prize money. Even so, the largest TOTAL purse is paid out at the APA Nationals. They pay out $800,000 for JUST the 8-ball team event. BCA and VNEA have similar purses, but it is paid out across multiple divisions... singles, doubles, teams, Masters, Seniors and Open, etc.

Scott Lee