PDA

View Full Version : safeties in a bar, cheesy?

wolfsburg2
06-01-2003, 10:32 PM
whenever i paly a safe in a bar i get the nasty looks, or comments from my opponent. you guys/gals think this is weak? i think it is a very important part of pool. i guess the problem is 99% of bar players aren't serious enough about pool to understand safeties. run and gun mentality....

bigbro6060
06-01-2003, 10:39 PM
Depends what's on the line mate

if it's just for fun, might be best to leave the safety alone

if it's for money or for control of the table, then anything goes !

UWPoolGod
06-01-2003, 11:13 PM
You have to judge the caliber of player that you are playing. If you know this person plays safes, go for it. If it is a drunk banger you might end up with his cue across your back. You can still play safe by missing close to the pocket, or playing the OB to a harder pocket and leaving the person long or hooked "on accident" or "luckily"

Todd

06-02-2003, 12:40 AM
wolfsburg2

sorry to say that most bar players, are scared to hell of safeties, but a trick is use it to purposly miss, aiming at the pocket and missing by centemeters or hitting the object ball so slow and soft that it stops rolling dead in front of the pocket, or calling a ball and missing it completey and this makes people feel comfortable, but if most of them took the time to learn games other than 8 & 9 ball then they would understand.

P.S " i wish One Pocket was the game of choice for tv instead of 9ball."

HalSmith
06-02-2003, 04:12 AM
I don't mind a safe on a shot as long as the cb or ob hit a rail . But to just roll the cb up against another ball without either one touching a rail now that sets me off.----Smitty

hadenball
06-02-2003, 04:51 AM
Think two way shot, take the harder shot that will leave him safe if you miss, or miss on purpose only if playing safe will cause problems. haden

bluewolf
06-02-2003, 05:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfsburg2:</font><hr> whenever i paly a safe in a bar i get the nasty looks, or comments from my opponent. <hr /></blockquote>

When I used to play in bars, sateties were considered 'dirty pool'. If I were to go into a bar in my home town, I would have to make the safe look like a failed attempt to pocket the ball.

Laura

pooldaddy9
06-02-2003, 06:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfsburg2:</font><hr> whenever i paly a safe in a bar i get the nasty looks, or comments from my opponent. <hr /></blockquote>

When I used to play in bars, sateties were considered 'dirty pool'. If I were to go into a bar in my home town, I would have to make the safe look like a failed attempt to pocket the ball.

Laura <hr /></blockquote>
That's why I quit playing in bars. No one there knows the rules. They have their house rules, which change after each shot depending on who you are. I think rules should be posted on the wall. Then there is no doubt what the rule is. I, like most shoot safeties that don't look intentional.

Pizza Bob
06-02-2003, 07:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote HalSmith:</font><hr> I don't mind a safe on a shot as long as the cb or ob hit a rail . But to just roll the cb up against another ball without either one touching a rail now that sets me off.----Smitty <hr /></blockquote>

In pool, in order to be a legal safe, either an obect ball must be driven to a rail or the cue ball after contacting an object ball must go to a rail, otherwise it's a foul. In snooker, it's a different story - no rail needed.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Bob C
06-02-2003, 04:30 PM
On many bar tables there used to be a concept called "honest effort" which meant you always had to attempt to make a ball every time you shot. Playing under this rule, better players usually found a two-way shot when faced with a tough layout.

Cueless Joey
06-02-2003, 04:54 PM
Try pocketing a ball and calling it a safe. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
This is allowed by BCA but prolly will get you knifed in a bar.
Playing pool with bar bangers is not pool anyway. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
It's like taking a bunch of truck drivers to target shooting. You're shooting with an M1 while they shoot with machineguns.

Nightstalker
06-02-2003, 05:27 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> Try pocketing a ball and calling it a safe. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
This is allowed by BCA but prolly will get you knifed in a bar.
Playing pool with bar bangers is not pool anyway. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
It's like taking a bunch of truck drivers to target shooting. You're shooting with an M1 while they shoot with machineguns. <hr /></blockquote>
<font color="blue">I agree! Most bar bangers are clueless as to the rules of the game. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif </font color>

heater451
06-02-2003, 05:59 PM
That is something I would generally put under the "gentlemen's pool" banner.

It's funny though, that a lot of the same people who whine about an 'official rules' type of safety, are the ones who are likely to play "safe", by just pushing the cueball up to/behind another ball. . . .Alternatively, they might pull that, "6 inches" bit.

Makes me wonder. . .was there ever a push-out rule in 8-ball?

======================

snipershot
06-02-2003, 06:04 PM
First off, try and find a bar where most of the players take the game seriously or at least semi-seriously, I know it's hard to do but I have found several bars with good tables/equipment and good players as well, they are out there you just gotta look (hard)

As for playing safeties in a bar, I usually try to do something that is safe with some form of an offensive move involved, busting up a cluster and hiding the CB or just leaving my opponent long would be good examples. I hate players (in bars) that just shoot the CB off a rail and try freezing it against an OB with the CB traveling a total of about 6 inches /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif, you know your scared when. I've always hated ducking and have always thought of it as a last resort.

"You can never duck your way into a championship"

Nick Varner

bluewolf
06-03-2003, 05:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote snipershot:</font><hr>

As for playing safeties in a bar, I usually try to do something that is safe with some form of an offensive move involved, busting up a cluster and hiding the CB or just leaving my opponent long would be good examples. I hate players (in bars) that just shoot the CB off a rail and try freezing it against an OB with the CB traveling a total of about 6 inches /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif, you know your scared when. I've always hated ducking and have always thought of it as a last resort.

"You can never duck your way into a championship"

Nick Varner
<hr /></blockquote>

Great quote! It seems like good players and pros safe only when it is a 'bad rack'. It is othersize a tool for weaker players who cannot run out. But, even with weaker players, it can result in a mind thinking defensively, so that later when they can run racks, their mind is not programmed to 'go for the gold'. Found that one out.

Now, unless bars have changed a lot, most players see safes as bad pool or weak.

Laura

snipershot
06-03-2003, 07:29 AM
Yeah most bar players still view safety shots as weak, some players just can't get their head around what the purpose of playing a safety shot is. Fortunately I play at a bar where the players respect the safety shot (to a point) and don't stress out when I play one, I also play it with an offensive strategy in mind so I'm not completely ducking.

Eric.
06-03-2003, 07:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote heater451:</font><hr> That is something I would generally put under the "gentlemen's pool" banner.

It's funny though, that a lot of the same people who whine about an 'official rules' type of safety, are the ones who are likely to play "safe", by just pushing the cueball up to/behind another ball. . . .Alternatively, they might pull that, "6 inches" bit.
<font color="red">Since that is "the rules", why not play the return the same way? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif </font color>

<font color="red"> As far as I know, no. </font color>

====================== <hr /></blockquote>

Eric &gt;safeties are 'dirty pool'

Nightstalker
06-03-2003, 09:19 AM
I don't like playing safe, and won't unless I am playing an opponent that plays that way. I have the same view of it as many of you here do. That it should only be played when absolutely necessary, and that when it is played otherwise it is dirty.

Eric.
06-03-2003, 09:57 AM
Actually, I don't havea problem with a good safety; where a legal hit is made on the object ball and either the OB or the CB hits a rail after contact.

This is one part of 9 ball I enjoy-the safe/return safe. IMO, I enjoy kicking at balls, making a good hit and possibly kick safe to return the shot. To me, there is a degree of satisfaction to be able to make the kick safe. In some cases, it takes more skill to do that then to just pocket a ball.

Eric

jjinfla
06-03-2003, 11:25 AM
Oh you mean N--- Pool. LOL. Just better know who and where you are playing. And when I play the biggest complainer and I find myself safed I make sure I let everyone know. The louder, better players all play safe - they just know how to hide it. And are quick to accuse everyone else of doing it. Always keep your back to the wall and look both ways before leaving the bar. Jake

ArtMetcalf
06-03-2003, 11:55 AM
I don't see what the problem is. If you want to win, you do what you have to do, regardless of what the other guy thinks. I know guys that say they "don't" play safe, and the truth is that they "can't" play safe. They can mumble "cheap shot" or "dirty pool" all day and it won't bother me. If they have a problem with a guy shooting safe, they should keep their quarters in their pocket and off the table. Here's another great quote:

"That's the trouble with mercy kid; it's just not professional." - Fast Eddie Felson

Fred Agnir
06-03-2003, 12:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote heater451:</font><hr>
<hr /></blockquote>Never heard of or seen one.

Fred

pooltchr
06-03-2003, 12:11 PM
Safety play is a big part of pool, and anyone who calls it dirty pool doesn't understand the game. If we are playing in a 9-ball tournament and I get the chance to "three foul" you, you had better believe I will do it in a heartbeat!

SPetty
06-03-2003, 02:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> Oh you mean N--- Pool. LOL. <hr /></blockquote>"Nice" pool? "Nasty" pool? "Neatnik" pool? "Nervous" pool? What?

highsea
06-03-2003, 03:42 PM
Nachos in a bar cheesy.
Safeties in a bar, risky. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cuechick
06-03-2003, 07:22 PM
Dirty looks, I should hope so...Your not playing league rules, just bar rules and an 'honest effort' is the way to go, IMO. I had a wise player once teach me that, in a popular bar where people would wait hours to play. He is a 7, and though he easily could have played a defensive shot, he felt it wasn't in the spirit of the game being played. "This will teach you different things" was his way of looking at it.
Yes, I will play a 2 way but I will go for a real attempt to pocket my ball. Though, I also make sure never to run out my last ball until I am confident I can make the 8. Even without trying a bar player might safe you, and if you lose if you don't hit the 8, it may be the only way for them to win...
The only exception to this, is if someone plays safe on me first, then it's no holds barred!

jjinfla
06-04-2003, 06:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> Oh you mean N--- Pool. LOL. <hr /></blockquote>"Nice" pool? "Nasty" pool? "Neatnik" pool? "Nervous" pool? What? <hr /></blockquote>

Oh gee Spetty, I thought everyone would know I meant Nerd pool. Jake

GreenLion
06-04-2003, 09:42 AM
Normally during a serious game if i have a shot that i dont have alot of confidence in making or getting good position for the next ball i will play safe.In order to play your best you must be comfident in what your doing which is why i do that.Ive been to several of my local bars cuase im in a VNEA 8 ball league and ive never had any problems from anyone about playing a safty.Although when im not playing for my team on league nights i perfer to shoot at my local pool hall cuase they dont sell alcohol.

wolfsburg2
06-04-2003, 10:30 AM
ok how abou tthis, a much weker player runs 5 balls by luck right off the bat. you don't have a good shot anywhere. you play a legit, ball hitting a rail safe that breaks up a cluster at the same time, but is obviously a safe. is that weak? i don't think so. i think winning is most important(to me). especially to a weaker player. if he can't play safe that's his problem. i have taken the time to learn the game, so i will use that knowledge to win within the rules.

i hate losing to weaker players!