PDA

View Full Version : I booked 1 winner & 1 loser at VNEA

06-02-2003, 07:12 AM
My buddy and I walked into the main pool area at the Rivera
about midnight the second night we were their. There was a group of about ten big time players at the entrance tyring to stir up games. This group included Scott Frost, Jesse Bowman, and several other top money players. Several of them were barking games back and force but it didn't look like anything was going to go off. My friend ask me if I wanted to go up on backing Larry Nevel, which we know pretty well from playing tourneys with him in the midwest.
I said sure, I think Larry can play with about anyone.

My friend walks over and ask Jesse Bowman ( who some consider one of the top couple barbox players in the country) if he wanted to play Larry a set for 5????.
He did not hesitate to jump on the game. So we went and found Larry who said sure if we backed him.

My freind and I wanted a long race, so even if we lost we would be able to watch some world class pool for our money.
We settled on a race to 13 for the 5????. The word of the match started spreading and about 60 or 70 people gathered around the table to watch. Scott Frost yells out that he would take Jesse and cover any bets that anyone wanted. It seemed like every one thought that Jesse would win, except us. Another one of our team members took Scott up and made a small wager on Larry.

The match started and right from the begining we could tell we made a good game. Larry had a serious look on his face and we could tell he came to play. He makes a couple difficult outs look routine and took a 3 - 0 lead before Jesse got a look. Larry came up dry on the break in the fourth game and Jesse, living up to his reputation, runs two in a blink of an eye. Jesse plays a safe in the next game and larry makes an incredable jump shot and runs out and another game. Taking a 5-2 lead. Larry then hooks himself after the break and comes with a jump shot that amazes the whole crowd. The cue ball is froze on the end rail the one ball is in the middle of the table but past the side pocket, the seven ball is about four inches from the one dirrectly between the one and the cue ball. Larry gets his jump cue and everyone starts looking around like what is he doing. He jacks up, fires the cue about a foot in the air for half the table length lands on top of the one and fires it in the corner, really the most incredable shot that I, and from the reaction of the crowd, most of them have ever seen.
Larry then calmly runs out. Jesse seems to rattle a bit after this and misses a 9-ball in the next game.

Larry goes on and wins the set 13-3.

They come over, pay us and ask if we want to go again.
We agree and they start again.

The second set is much like the first, Larry is running out from every where, at one point I counted five straight jump shots that he made in the set. the second set ends at Larry 13, Jesse 4.

Jesse breaks his cue down, he had enouph for that night.

However, Scott Frost comes over and ask if we want to play a race to 15 for all of it.

We agree and set number three for Larry starts.
Larry dosent let down a notch and just steam rolls Scott Frost 15 to 5 and it didn't even look that close.
I new Larry was impressive, but I didn't even realize he was playing that well.
Scott was a gentlemen about the loss and walked over and pays us.

We thank Larry and give him half. A little bigger percentage than normal but he earned it.

Larry Nevel proves that right now he is one of the best pool players in the U S, if not the world.

This one went a little long, so I'll write about the loss we took later.

Kato
06-02-2003, 08:54 AM
Is that 5 hundred or 5,000? I'm assuming the later and that puts your total at 30 stacks?

Kato

Scott Lee
06-02-2003, 11:54 AM
MMT...Wow! Great story! THAT is the kind of pool we ALL are dying to get to watch (let alone dream about playing that way! LOL)! Good for you guys! No doubt you are now quite high on Larry's "list" too! He is, indeed, a top flight player!

Scott Lee

Irish
06-02-2003, 08:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> Is that 5 hundred or 5,000? I'm assuming the later and that puts your total at 30 stacks?

Kato <hr /></blockquote>

It was $500. Scott lost for $1000 I believe, he did not miss much but got no good breaks. Larry was shooting awesome. At the same time Edwin Montal beat Keith McCready for $3000 on a table nearby.

06-04-2003, 11:30 AM
Yep , was $500, but a $2000 dollar score was nice.