PDA

View Full Version : I have a major problem

Kato
06-02-2003, 10:11 AM
I watched an entire NASCAR race, start to finish yesterday. That really bothers me. Does this bother anyone else?

Kato

Karatemom
06-02-2003, 10:18 AM
What's the matter with that? I love watching NASCAR. There's never anything good on on Sundays except NASCAR. If you ask me, there's nothing wrong with you, it's everybody else, hahahahaha.

Heide

CrispyFish
06-02-2003, 10:24 AM
No TV, no problems. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Now if only I didn't work in front of a computer... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
06-02-2003, 10:51 AM
Hey, it was a good race /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I hardly ever have time to sit and watch a whole race. If it's a Sat. night race and I'm at a tavern I'll watch a whole race. On Sundays I try to catch the last 30 laps if I can. I will sometimes even listen on the radio. How sick is that /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I actually like open-wheel much better but it's all good.

Wally~~going to the Busch race at Ky. Speedway in 2 weeks.

Kato
06-02-2003, 11:33 AM
Sure it's ok for you Wally, you're a hillbilly. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have a serious problem and I'm looking for serious answers. What if I become a NASCAR fan? Do I have to buy scanners and have a favorite driver or something? This is a life altering decision. Do I have to move to Alabama and take up wittling? I'm at an emotional crossroads here.

Kato~~~perhaps a visit to my personal Graceland, the wonderful town of Hamiltucky is in order after all.

Rich R.
06-02-2003, 11:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> Sure it's ok for you Wally, you're a hillbilly. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have a serious problem and I'm looking for serious answers. What if I become a NASCAR fan? Do I have to buy scanners and have a favorite driver or something? This is a life altering decision. Do I have to move to Alabama and take up wittling? I'm at an emotional crossroads here.

Kato~~~perhaps a visit to my personal Graceland, the wonderful town of Hamiltucky is in order after all. <hr /></blockquote>
You'll know your in trouble, if you get the sudden urge to go and buy a pick-up truck with a gun rack. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I really think the whole problem has to do with your geographic location.
Quickly, without any delay, gather all of your belongings and move north. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I personally prefer open wheel cars that make right hand turns, once in a while. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Although, I do enjoy watching NHRA drag racing and those cars don't, or shouldn't, turn at all.

Kato
06-02-2003, 12:02 PM
My next problem would be that I'm probably going to move to one of the Carolina's or Tennessee, Rich. I don't think that I'll make it all the way to Maryland unless I find a really cushy government job like some people I know. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

So as you see, I may just perpetuate the problem.

Kato

Rod
06-02-2003, 12:20 PM
Does it bother me that you did? Well no. I might watch near the last pit stop. Ok I've watched whole races before but not this week end. I will watch the Indy 500 and a fair part of the qualifying. The guy on the bubble has to be a little nervous.

Rod

nAz
06-02-2003, 12:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> Sure it's ok for you Wally, you're a hillbilly. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato~~~perhaps a visit to my personal Graceland, the wonderful town of Hamiltucky is in order after all. <hr /></blockquote>

LOL dude whats your problem?

you need a new girl!

JPB
06-02-2003, 12:21 PM
Yes you have a major problem. I have been watching more nascar, but it is not humanly possible to watch a whole race if there is anything else to do. Watch a little and hope to see a big wreck or some stupid soap opera dispute, sure, but the whole boring thing??? No, you are in trouble. You will have to get a favorite driver and wear that awful clothing with the sponsors logos and stuff. Eeeeew. I understand going to a race and seeing the speed and hearing the noise in person and getting drunk. I understand the appeal of driving. But watching a whole race on TV means you should get checked out.

P.S. I want to start a stock car racing series. I would make it so you had to take delivery of the car from a dealer's showroom. NO exterior modifications allowed. You could put ANY form of propulsion in as long as it fit under the hood with no modifications to the hood. You could change the suspension and tires. Brakes could be upgraded to racing brakes. Of course the exhaust system could be totally modified. Safety equipment would be totally optional. All drivers and fans would have to sign waivers for when a honda accord hit the grandstand after wiping out at 250+ mph. That would be real racing. NASCAR is wimpy. They used to go a lot faster, at least at the superspeedways. 190 at Daytona is ridiculous. The bootleggers who started nascar went 190 on dirt roads at night loaded with whiskey on bad tires. Even the sanctioned races hit 210+ when Bill Elliot was fast. They should be going 225 by now at a minimum. The speeds should be right on the threshhold of driver blackout. I don't care if they die. Not my problem. Racing should be risky and very fast. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Karatemom
06-02-2003, 01:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> So as you see, I may just perpetuate the problem.

Kato <hr /></blockquote>I think you're doing a great job of it, too!

hahahahaha

Heide

06-02-2003, 01:48 PM
If I did that, I would be ready for the funny farm, because I hate watching that stuff.

Candyman
06-02-2003, 01:56 PM
It's the most watched sport on TV in America, besides the NFL! If pool was televised every weekend the uninformed would we tuning out. I think that is the problem with uninformed viewers when NASCAR RACING is on TV. It is somewhat of a soap opera. When you become involved, you don't want to miss an episode. For most people, if you ever attend an event, you are hooked. Besides the race, there is major tailgating, babes, beer, and did I say babes? If you aren't careful, you may even see a car race.

Lock /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
06-02-2003, 02:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Candyman:</font><hr> It's the most watched sport on TV in America, besides the NFL! If pool was televised every weekend the uninformed would we tuning out. I think that is the problem with uninformed viewers when NASCAR RACING is on TV. It is somewhat of a soap opera. When you become involved, you don't want to miss an episode. For most people, if you ever attend an event, you are hooked. Besides the race, there is major tailgating, babes, beer, and did I say babes? If you aren't careful, you may even see a car race.

Lock /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I've been to a few races but only one Winston Cup race, Bristol in 2001. It was way freaking cool. I would like to go again but it's pretty expensive to attend one. I get my fix at Kentucky Speedway and at the Indy 500.

Nightstalker
06-02-2003, 03:03 PM
Yeah, why go to a car race to watch the race right? Haha, there are much more interesting things to do instead! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
06-02-2003, 04:00 PM
I try to catch the last 25 or so laps. If I time it right.

Been a #2 Miller Lite Rusty Wallace fan since he was old enough to drink.

Too many left turns for me to watch the entire race.

You got a 'problem'.... no other choices to mix into the day.. PLAY more POOL

06-02-2003, 04:45 PM
I am clueless why people waste money actually going to these things except to see a wreck. Better to save your money pull out a lawn chair and have a seat on the side of the closest major highway. The drivers are not professionals so your chances of seeing a wreck increase and you arenít stuck with see the same bunch driving in a circle over and over again.

snipershot
06-02-2003, 04:50 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Do you realize how much pool you could've played in that time? I can't watch NASCAR, it puts me to sleep (seriously)

dg-in-centralpa
06-02-2003, 05:24 PM
I can safely say that I've never watched a NASCAR or Busch race. Not even on tv except if I'm at a family reunion and that's what on the tube. I haven't watched the Indy since the mid 70's. I'd rather watch NHRA, even though I have a friend who drives ARCA and IHRA, NHRA is it for me.

DG - who still has some old pictures of the greatest drivers of the 70's (Jungle Jim, Tommy Ivo) remember them?

Candyman
06-02-2003, 05:41 PM
Wally-You choose the very best race on the NASCAR circuit to go to. I have been to about half of the speedways on the circuit and Bristol is my favorite. The experience that the drivers have given the comparison to is flying a F-16 in a high school auditorium. That has to be awesome.

Ralph S.
06-02-2003, 05:53 PM
As many here know, I live in the state that is home to the "greatest spectacle in racing", the Indy 500. While I do enjoy NASCAR to a degree, There aint nothing like open wheel Indy cars that can turn on a dime and give 9 cents change. Throw in straight way speeds in excess of 230M.P.H. and it dont get any better. BTW, the greatest driver ever in any car or form of racing? The one and only A.J. Foyt.

UWPoolGod
06-02-2003, 06:05 PM
It bothers me to no end...but then again I watch golf on tv which is almost as bad. Watching Nascar is like watching hockey...you are only looking for the fights or crashes. I guess passes could be like scoring a goal with how the crowd reacts.

heater451
06-02-2003, 06:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ralph S.:</font><hr>. . .BTW, the greatest driver ever in any car or form of racing? The one and only A.J. Foyt. <hr /></blockquote> Senna (http://www.ayrton-senna.com/) was pretty good, up til the end (R.I.P).

~~Used to like GTP (but would trade ANY auto racing, for GP motorcycles)
====================

cueball1950
06-02-2003, 07:57 PM
Well my dear friend Kato. There is no crossroads. Either you like it or you don't. Me i ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT. AND I ALSO LOVE COUNTRY MUSIC. Gee, i must be living in the wrong place. I love racing, country music and southern fried chicked. Am i lost or what. Go George Straight, The Dixie chicks, and Bill Elliott #9 and Ryan Newman #12 and Dale Jarrett #88.What can i say. I must be hooked. I even tape the race when i am out..lol..........Mike

Hopster
06-02-2003, 11:28 PM
Kato man, i dont know. Sounds dangerous, lol.
Me i just dont see the appeal in it but a hell of a lot of others do, so what do i know ??
I used to hate to even watch horse racing and there i would have $10 or $20 a race going. Nascar, you cant even bet at the track or can you ?

highsea
06-03-2003, 12:17 AM
Doesn't sound like you got it too bad Kato.

Now, me, on the other hand, I'll watch ARCA, ASA, Goody's, Hooter's, NCTS, BUSCH, CUP, I don't care. Hate to miss a race. Any race.

I love to watch the kids battle it out with the veterans. Kurt Busch and Jimmy Spencer at Bristol. Jimmy Johnson's performance at Charlotte this year was great. I agree with JPB about the speeds. 190 at Daytona or Talladega is a joke. I hate having road races in Winston Cup; get rid of them. Short tracks are where it's at; Bristol, Martinsville. I love the old tracks; Darlington, Charlotte. I like CONTACT racing. Rip them fenders off, tape it up and get back out there. Brakes are on fire? Get back out there, it'll go out. Rubbin' is Racin'. Somebody puts you into the wall, you come out next week and give it right back. (You can't do that with Indy cars, they break up into little bitty pieces if you sneeze on'em).

The roar of an 800HP American V8 at 8000 turns. Not some prissy Honda squallin away at 18000. Drivers with names I can pronounce. Crew Chiefs with names like "Fatback". DW going "boogity,boogity,boogity!" at the green flag. God, somebody slap me, I can go on and on.

Haven't taken up wittling, though, unless you call building a sailboat wittling. Uh, well, never mind that. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

But I didn't use a #97 Rubbermaid Pocketknife!

Still in all, I'd rather be at the ph. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-CM &lt;~~~Doesn't wear a goofy Nascar jacket to the pool hall.

Rich R.
06-03-2003, 04:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> My next problem would be that I'm probably going to move to one of the Carolina's or Tennessee <hr /></blockquote>
You better go buy that pick-up truck, before you move. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> I don't think that I'll make it all the way to Maryland unless I find a really cushy government job like some people I know. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif<hr /></blockquote>
Your going to have to trust me on this one.
Most government jobs are not as cushy as most people think. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Candyman
06-03-2003, 12:41 PM
AJ was a great driver. I appreciated his driving style and followed all the greats of his day. When USAC was in its prime, I watched the races as much as possible. When the IRL was formed and drivers choose sides, I think they really messed up a good thing. I went to an IRL event in Charlotte a few years ago and I was really impressed with the speeds. However, only three cars finished on the lead lap and half of the field failed to finish. The winner was 2/3's of a lap ahead of the rest of the field and I didn't feel any excitement. I keep hoping AJ will do better in NASCAR, but he can't seem to catch a break.

rackmup
06-03-2003, 04:18 PM
You have completed "Step One" of a Twelve-Step program for claiming Texas citizenship.

<ul type="square"> The remaining steps:

2. The ownership of a beat up truck.
3. The purchase of a can of Skoal ("longcut").
4. A Nascar T-Shirt wardrobe (small enough to allow your belly to show after completing step #5.)
5. The development and proper nourishment of an outrageously large gut.
6. Jeans that allow your ass-crack to show at even the slightest bend at the knees.
7. A "Jeff Gordon Sucks" bumper sticker.
8. A small trailer home on the bank of one of our many smaller lakes. You will refer to it as your "Summer Cottage" when speaking to your East-Coast friends.
9. An abundance of empty beer cans beneath your "Summer Cottage".
10. An old dog who sleeps on those beer cans beneath that "Summer Cottage".
11. A "Common-Law" wife, with whom you argue with constantly, have "fetch" beer from the refrigerator for you, and, who you would trade for an old shotgun in a minute if the opportunity ever presented itself.
12. Be on a "First Name Basis" with the counterman at "Auto Zone".
[/list]

Congratulations RJ! Keep chasing the dream!

Regards,

Ken (stuck after the completion of step two)